Arrgh!

Just like Brittany Speers, I did it again. I have been off and on keto for a year and a half now - I tried carnivore for awhile. I don’t stick with the plans long enough to see results.

On the positive side, I have eliminated grains and most root vegetables most of the time. I just go wild on sugar sometimes!

But I am back to it. I am going on a keto egg fast for the next 3 to 5 days. Then stick with a keto plan until the 9th when I am going out then back on until June 26, my birthday. I am going to do this and get all the health benefits I can.

(Rob) #2

Keto is for life, not just for New Year’s Resolutions…

Dust yourself off, get back on the horse and ride on. You can always have a meal off, a day off or more AS LONG AS YOU KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES and accept them - then you won’t come complaining to all and sundry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One thing, though, you shouldn’t use every night out as an opportunity to self sabotage since you will need to work out how to have fun out while not ruining your keto-ness. Once a month is a cheat, but if you get a nice full social schedule (and why shouldn’t you?), it’s a very bad habit.

I am working on getting into the habit of choosing to eat keto even when I go out. And if my complaining about my failings is bothering you, I can delete the message if you want? Being honest, not trying to cause trouble

(Rob) #4

No - not at all. I want YOU to feel more comfortable with your decisions so you don’t feel like crap and need to vent. We’ve all been through this and done the same. Me included.

Now, if I “cheat” I am fine with it because I did it intentionally and know what to do about it - see my recent donut adventure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Vent as much as you like but it is usually a sign of being stressed about it which is bad for you (raising cortisol, raising insulin, etc.)

Thank you. I have a problem being consistent with things in my life not just WOE. I am all for this WOE - just getting rid of the fake foods is such a big bonus for health - and I IF as well. I am determined to be strict with it for 6 weeks to really see the benefits so I will stick with it. Logically I know they are there and I know I can do it.

And yes, I am stressed about a few things in my life. Time for some licorice tea to sooth me.

(Rob) #6

Good call. Strict early on is a great objective if you can do it. You get the benefits, see that it is worth it… and most importantly, distance yourself from bad habits. I had a single donut recently to celebrate something worth celebrating. 6 months ago, I wouldn’t have left there without 3 or 4 and maybe a dozen box.
Strict keto really helped me break the habits of a lifetime. Now I eat out keto but I’ll have a few fries, a bite of someone else’s dessert (with permission of course :grin:) and not worry about it.

The best thing about keto for me, even more than weight loss to levels I haven’t seen in 20 years, has been to gain a control over food that I truly NEVER thought I could achieve. Being strict early on (3 months until a real “cheat”) really helped.

Best of luck with your journey and we are all here to help (even if it sounds a little snarky :flushed:)

I can deal with snarky. I may mutter at the screen so if your ears are burning, it could be me! :rofl: I will get through it and by the end of this summer, I will be a keto aficionado!

(icky) #8

Hey : )
I think the thing is, that if you don’t stick to it, you’ll never FEEL the benefits.
So then Keto will just feel like another annoying diet which limits your food choices.
If you are cheating all the time, you will never get into the Keto zone and go “Ohhhhhhh this is the amazing stuff everyone’s talking about.”

Once you’ve been in the Keto zone for a few weeks - then if you’re doing it right - you should be getting that “Aha” effect that makes you WANT to not cheat, because every cheat means you lose those benefits.

If you’re stressed at the moment and can’t concentrate on Keto, then just let it go for a while.
Find a space of 2 - 3 - 4 weeks where things are a bit calmer and you WANT to explore Keto seriously.
It’s quite hard work at first, so you should bring some headspace and patience to the table.

A half-in-half-out approach with regular cheating is just going to give you the impression that Keto is “annoying” and “doesn’t work”.

You’ll know when you’re ready to give it the effort it needs and then you’ll be rewarded by the benefits.

(icky) #9

If you get serious about Keto, then your friends will understand and then the best birthday present you and your friends can give you is a KETO meal - either self-cooked or in a Keto-friendly restaurant.

(Karen) #10

Small bit of advice. Stay keto full. A full person is not likely to “cheat”. Decisions earlier in the day will make it easier. Your will power muscle gives up later. Load up on keto foods. Stay full.

K

very good advice. Who said anything about friends? I celebrate my birthday alone. I will stick with keto eating but I will have a couple of drinks. I intend on staying on keto eating, unless something goes wrong, for the foreseeable future.

Thank you. Good name btw! :grinning:

(Karen) #13

Happy bday! :tada::confetti_ball::meat_on_bone::poultry_leg::meat_on_bone::fried_egg::beers:

K

Thank you but that isn’t until June 26.