Are your skin tags getting smaller and no new ones?

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Thanks to my DNA, I have had to deal with skin tags forever. Shortly before going keto, I decided to get rid of a bunch of them that were in my neck and shoulders area, so only a one left that is clearly visible to me. After a couple of months on keto, I started having a hard time even finding the remaining one. But even better no new ones were appearing on my body. Now after over a year. I have to rub my finger over the spot where the one skin tag is, it is so small I can only find it by feeling for it now. And so far, no new ones.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this going keto?

Skin tag went missing!
Join this thread! CONDITIONS KETO CAN HEAL OR CURE
(Jennifer) #2

Yep. All my small ones are gone. I just have a half dozen or so bigger ones that are half the size they were. I started keto 2/3/2017…

(VLC.MD) #3

Heh. Would be cool if keto helped. Not much is known about skin tags. cool topic :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I am so happy to hear that. I wasn’t sure if it was quirk, and I’d all of a sudden see a new crop. They are not dangerous, but I get them in an area where clothes can easily irritate them, that can cause them to become precancerous. That is why I paid to have all my larger ones removed, just left the small on that only I could see and was lower on my body, so didn’t get irrated.

Of course now I have to know why it helped. Danged Keto. Another rabbit hole I have to jump into.

(Crow T. Robot) #5

Skin tags are associated with insulin resistance, fix that, fix the skin tags. Many people have reported this phenomenon.

(VLC.MD) #6

I forgot about the fact that skin tags “are a sign of diabetes”.
Modern Day doctors use so many blood tests you tend to forget these associations.

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/other-conditions/diabetes-warning-signs

I like the way the article specifically mentions … skin tags are increased insulin !

This topic needs further research ! :slight_smile:

Maybe insulin does encourage abnormal growth. And less abnormal growth anywhere is a good thing :slight_smile:

Skin tags new
(VLC.MD) #7

who knew !

(VLC.MD) #8

Keto cures another disease.
LOL.

“Just add it to the list”.

Wow.

It is super cool to hear real life stories of less skin tags while Keto. Really cool.

I’ll never look at a skin tag the same way.
I do associate them with obesity and now insulin resistance.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Not really a skin tag, but a related issue: I had a scar on my elbow, a spot that was rubbed raw when I fell of my bicycle, and which was badly irritated by the mesh of the sling I wore for three months. It healed as a keloid, apparently, and was giving me grief. I realized the other day that I can’t feel it anymore. The spot is still visible, but no longer detectable by touch. Keto strikes again!

(CharleyD) #10

I’m jealous of all the stories of skin tags disappearing. I got a couple a few years ago at my worst dislipidemia, and they’re determined to tag along.

Non-responsive to zero carb, or OMAD IF. I may need to consider an occasional EF then, understanding that they’re a symptom of high insulin and we all know insulin is pulsed whenever we eat. And that it appears to follow that the autophagic processes during fasting would be what would clear them up.

(Mike Glasbrener) #11

I had a couple. They are largely gone. Smooth skin there now. Loacated on my thigh. Interestingly enough the one I injured…

(Mel Soule) #12

And the beat goes on. Not only insulin resistance but good old leptin, CRP and TNF-a join the Correlation party.

“Association between skin tags and insulin resistance is already known, however this article showed that leptin,
hs-CRP and TNF- α in ST patients may be implicated in the development of skin tags.”

http://www.hoajonline.com/journals/pdf/2050-0866-2-13.pdf

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

It might just take some time. How long have you been keto/lchf? Are you diabetic, on meds or off them? It has taken a while for the remaining one to shrink, I am just thankful it did. Yours might just need more time. I am not diabetic, but was in the lower obesity range until spring of this year.

VLC.MD, thanks for that article, good stuff to know about.

(Becky) #14

In the two years prior to Keto, I visited the dermatologist twice to have 4-6 skin tags removed each time, as well as a mole on my neck. I was about to schedule my next visit for another 4-6 tags and a mole growing on my face. After the initial phases of Keto had settled, I remembered I needed to make the appointment, only I couldn’t feel the mole on my face nor the location of the skin tags. I believe Keto healed skin tags and moles.

(CharleyD) #15

Been pretty strict keto since 1/1/17, not diabetic, no meds of that persuasion. Just obese to near normal now. And NMRs (only taken this year) have always had me at borderline Insulin resistant. I’m well appreciative of autophagy cosmetically in that there isn’t any hanging skin considering the amount of weight lost. I’m very impressed with the inward and outward manifestations of healing that this WOE presents!
I’ll KCKO of course!

I first noticed skin tags with my first pregnancy 15+ years ago, and have had a few ever since. Once a doctor mentioned using vitamin E oil on them. I tried it on one, and it worked but it started bleeding and wouldn’t quit despite applying pressure. I actually had to go to the urgent care and have them put a bandage with a clotting agent in it on to get it to stop. (I actually have tried the oil on other ones in spite of that experience and it did nothing, so not sure what is up with that?)

I have noticed that slowly, very slowly, the ones I currently have are getting smaller. This past couple of weeks there has been increased improvement, probably because the last couple weeks I have been able to keep my blood glucose lower than I have since starting keto. Definitely going to take that as a good sign that my insulin is lowering too.

(Doug) #17

If autophagy is working when fasting, then skin tags would be an obvious target…

(Todd Allen) #18

I had half a dozen skin tags before keto and now am down to 3. Haven’t noticed any shrinkage but at least they aren’t growing. The ones that are gone were the smallest/skinniest and they abraded off as opposed to shrinking away. I’d like to get the bigger remaining ones cut off as I doubt they will go away on their own, but haven’t bothered to have them removed yet.

(VLC.MD) #19

Anyone with a steady hand can do it.
Just use something like this.

Use tweezers to pull up (when you can) to make the cutting easier (sometimes).

They bleed, but put pressure on it for 8 minutes without peeking and it’ll be fine.

Pro Tips:

• the smaller you open the scissors, the less like you are to cut off (“pinch”) too much (ie. surrounding skin).

Use the money you save to buy more bacon.

(Todd Allen) #20

Funny, I asked my primary care physician about removing them and he said it wasn’t something he was able to do but he could give me a referral to a dermatologist.