Are we just an echo chamber?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #141

I don’t always agree with everything people say here, but I certainly agree with Keto. I was prancing down the street today (yes, nowadays I prance) and I caught my reflection in a window. Wow. I have an emerging waistline. You’re not getting that robe back without a fight. But about that robe. It’s not very figure-flattering to those with emerging waistlines!

(Terence Dean) #142

Save your ammo Biggles, we’re at 15,000 feet and no enemy in sight! :eagle:

(Sarah Bruhn) #143

I totally agree, and constantly ask myself “could this really be true?” I research and find that keto has been studied for over a century… It is important to question your assumptions and every claim made. It is equally important to find support and advice with people who have successfully traveled the journey, because it’s lonely out there.

(Wendy) #144

Have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories or even Taubes book Why We Get Fat? There are many studies that show that CICO does not work or explain how the body deals with fat. In WWGF
I loved chapter 4: The significance of 20 calories a day.
"If it were true that our adiposity is determined by calories -in /calories -out, then this is one implication you only need to overeat, on average, by twenty calories a day to gain fifty extra pounds of fat in twenty years. You need only to rein yourself in by this amount–undereat by twenty calories a day – to undo it.
Twenty calories a day is less than a single bite of a McDonald’s hamburger or a croissant. It’s less than two ounces of Coke or Pepsi or the typical beer. Less than three potatoe chips. Maybe three small bites of an apple. In short not very much at all.
He goes on to say. Twenty calories a day is less than 1% of the recommended caloric intake for a middle aged woman whose idea of regular physical activity is cooking and sewing.
"Ask yourself:How is it possible that anyone stays lean, if all it takes to grow gradually obese is to overshoot this point of energy balance by twenty calories daily?..
You get the point. I highly recommend reading this book if you still find yourself saying that calories really matter. Or of course to anyone who really wants to understand why you don’t think calories matter. Yes they are a measurement of energy but our bodies use as much or as little of that energy as it needs to to do what it’s hormones tell it to do with that said energy.

(Wendy) #145

Me too! And I wonder how often our ideal weight is just wishful thinking. Our ideals of beauty are not necessarily the way we need to be to be healthy. I’m at a size 8 and though I have a few extra inches of fat around my butt and thighs I think I’m already at a healthy weight and waist circumference. Still I’d love to be skinnier. :blush:

(the cheater) #146

I don’t really have an ideal weight, per se, but I have an ideal body; that is, I know what my body looks like when I’m as fit as I’ve ever been (10 years ago, but getting DAMN close!) and that’s my goal. I always jokingly say that my ideal body type is Brad Pitt in Troy - lean, but not skinny, strong but not buffed. That’s basically where I was when I was 155lbs. I’m about 175 right now, give or take. So, obviously I’m aiming for that weight but only insofar as it gets me to my healthiest, fittest self. That said, if I end up being 163 and that body type, then awesome. Back then I was doing mostly cardio whereas nowadays it’s mostly weights, so I’ll probably get to the same level of fitness but at a heavier weight.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #147

I glad to see you arent set on specific weight. I think we do that way too much, and with the body recomp that happens with Keto, it’s not necessary.
Like you I have a vague weight goal but have said I’m perfectly fine staying this weight if my measurements keep going down. That’s the real goal after all. To be smaller. Who cares what a number on the scale says.

(Gail P) #148

I thought it was called a “support group.”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #149

You mean, like a three-pack of jock straps? :innocent: :rofl:

(Linda) #150

Before I ever heard of low carbing I used to go to the Lindora clinics way back when when you would go in everyday for a shot of HCG and paying 50 bucks a week (a lot of money in those days) would keep you compliant enough to go 6 weeks on 500 calories a day. I would lose 25 pounds. So of course CICO works, but that really doesn’t tell you much in the long run.

Gary Taubes uses this picture to illustrate why. So this woman’s upper body eats less and moves more and her lower body doesn’t? Clearly much more goes on than the facile CICO theory.

lipodystrophy