Are we just an echo chamber?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #101

One of the guys in my freshman dorm (O God, was it really that long ago?) had a poster on his wall listing “Calories Lost from Having Sex.” There were various calorie counts for various activities, and my favorite entries were “Calories from orgasm: 450; Calories from faking it 2532”!

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!” — Upton Sinclair

And it is very difficult for a pharmaceutical company or a food manufacturer to monetize eating healthy food.

(Alec) #102

Doug
That is a really interesting thought experiment. If we did, do you think we would still exist as a species? I am not sure we would! Thank god for uncontrollable hormones.

Our bodies are saving us from ourselves.

(Ron) #103

Choosing to interpret responses to weight loss stalls on this forum as “LAME” is IMO unwarranted and incorrect considering all variables that are in play. Stalls result from a vast number of causes anywhere from Leptin resistance, Protein intake, sweetener substitutes, hidden carbs, to lazy Keto, that have been documented, varified and presented in many different venues by some of the top leading professionals in the Keto movement. Internet interaction on the issue does not allow for anything other than verbal contact with individuals suffering from the stall that limit online help to suggesting the different possibilities as a means of correction by deletion. I see this as not LAME but as a great support group doing as much as possible with the limitations they are forced to function with.
JMHO.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #104

Sound like the set up for a sci-fi movie that ends with the lesson that we should be prudent in how we yield science.

But if I could control my hormones, I’d start with growth hormones so I could reach the top shelf in my cupboards without having to climb up on the counter. #shortgirlproblems

(Alec) #105

Isn’t the point of the scientific community to be objective? Am I being hopelessly naive? :cry:

If that isn’t the point of them, why do we have them? Or is it now the same as the media… it is now just a money making business venture, the truth matters not?

I am getting depressed now… :face_with_head_bandage:

(Alec) #106

They’ve invented these new-fangled things called stepladders. They are dangerous and difficult to operate, but I understand they can be quite effective.

(Ron) #107

Well said. A perspective I had not entertained.:ok_hand:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #108

Yes, and yes. Sorry!

It’s a fallen world, brother. Human beings are not angels, and we constantly look for ways to game any system devised. There are decent scientists out there, but there are plenty of obstacles placed in their way. Nutrition “science” seems to be one of the worst fields. I was just reading an article making the point that a lot of journals only want to publish exciting stories, and studies that replicate the results of other studies and studies that fail to replicate the results of other studies are boring. So 19th century, you know. Furthermore, in the U.S., researchers who don’t come up with studies that recommend the standard dietary guidelines stop receiving funding, and what food company is going to fund a study that says its product is unhealthy and possibly even dangerous?

(Alec) #109

I have to say, chaps and chappesses, what a bloody FANTASTIC conversation! A few months ago, I could not have even countenanced the possibility of such a brilliant conversation with such informed folks. What a learning journey this has been. Thank you!

(Alec) #110

This is the problem.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #111

I have one somewhere. At the moment I need it, it somehow seems easier to mount the cabinets like I’m climbing Mt Everest than it is to find where I left my step ladder.

(Ron) #112

Yes, I am just catching up reading through all responses and I agree, what an informative conversation.:grin:

(TJ Borden) #113

All this civility is getting really boring. Can we please argue a little more. Maybe I need to change sides on CICO to mix it up a little

(Doug) #114

Alec, for sure - there are things we don’t understand. The ‘big picture’ for many of us really is dealing with insulin resistance, i.e. if it’s bad enough the body is always in “fat storage” mode and never going into “fat burning.” Not to say that hence (with insulin sensitivity), stalls are impossible - they are a fact for many. From your blood sugar levels, I guessed that you are quite insulin sensitive. Perhaps not “perfect,” there, or as good as you can be - for some people overcoming insulin resistance takes multiple years (and probably decades, in fact). Even if I’m right that you’ve gone a long way toward fixing yourself, there, further gains may yet be had, and possibly that would affect weight-loss stalling.

While we may not understand all of what a stall is, I’d bet that hormones have a large part to play - they are what control our energy usage via our autonomic systems (as opposed to willful exercise or not, for example). If hormonal changes and ‘healing’ are still going on for you, then at some point perhaps your stall will be broken due to further improvement there…?

It really is a question for me, and I’ll be interested to see what your strategies result in. I’ve never had a problem with CICO, per se, and I agree with @Daves_Not_Here - if we really want to lose weight, regardless of all else and with a short enough time focus, then we can do it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #115

If you want to get upset about something, they threw away my bacon at work when cleaning out the fridge. My perfectly good, ready to microwave bacon. :bacon:

Proceed to epic rant if you want.

(TJ Borden) #116

THAT IS SUCH BULL SHIT!!!

I feel sufficiently worked up. Nicely done @Anniegirl9

(Doug) #117

:smile: Indeed, Alec. Most of us would be dead, after having gotten preposterously thin, and/or muscular, etc.

(Alec) #118

That is outrageous. I hope you gave them both barrels?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #119

They said it was my fault because there’s a clean out schedule posted on the fridge.

Didn’t matter that I pointed out that they hadn’t adhered to that schedule in over 6 months, and that maybe if they were going to start agian, a little warning would be appropriate so someone who bought a 1 pound package of pre-cooked bacon to last a few days of lunches at work wouldn’t have it nearly all wasted.
:sob::sob::sob::sob:

(Ron) #120

I believe I experience this on a personal level as I had been losing weight steady for a couple months when I caught a little infection. Without changing routine my weight loss stopped and stayed constant. About 10 days later and symptoms of the infection subsided, the weight loss resumed again. Seemed logical that healing took precedence over weight loss.