Are pee strips worthless?

(Running from stupidity) #61

Which of course isn’t the case, but hey, bees in bonnets, etc…

(Boots on? Balls to the wall? Good start.) #62

More than 1/2 of what/who? What are you basing that figure on?

(Jim) #63

Well to be fair, as the beginner who started the thread, I have felt absolutely zero changes in the 18 days I’ve been on the keto diet. I changed from net carbs to gross carbs because I was convinced it wasn’t working. I plunked down $6 for pee strips and it was reassuring. I can afford a blood monitor so I ordered that since I feel I’m wanting to be in this for the long haul. The blood monitor confirmed the pee strip results. Prior to the pee strips I was frustrated. If I hadn’t had them, and to a large extent, this forum, I might’ve quit. Had I been dissuaded from even trying pee strips, I might’ve quit. Make of that what you will, but I’m sure I’m not alone.

I’m glad no harm came to you. :slight_smile:

(Herb Martin) #65

Glad you got the help you needed.

I am even withdrawing any objection to ketosticks from local stores (they used to cost $15+) but my wife picked up a bottle for $9 at WalMart yesterday so this is a small price for any but the most very budget conscience folks to pay.

Even then, $9 is pretty good insurance for getting the diet to work effective so that it can be properly evaluated.

Keto will work for almost everyone, and the reason it failed for the vast majority of people was that they never became CONSISTENTLY KETOGENIC over a long enough period of time.

The sticks help ensure that they GET KETOGENIC and know they are STAYING KETOGENIC.

Even with long experience, I didn’t know until recently that the human body takes many weeks or even many months to become FULLY KETO ADAPTED.

I am not entirely sure that I ever stayed on a rigorous keto diet with no slips for long enough to enter a FULLY FAT/KETO ADAPTED metabolic state.

Meters are really a very powerful tool, but they are a bit expensive ($100-ish with starter strips) and the strips are expensive (0.35 to $1 each, $0.50 being typical), less convenient, and slightly more painful.

I have dropped to 1 finger stick (maybe 2 when transitioning on or off a fast) per day, and 2-3 ketosticks.

A single urine strip each day would be enough for me now, but I like numbers and the reassurance, plus I’ve been calibrating the strips to see how effectively accurate they are and to find situations where they aren’t giving useful information.

So far, they are almost perfectly accurate and I’ve yet to see a case where they aren’t ‘accurate enough’ to guide weight loss and food choices.

(John) #66

I’m in month 7. I rarely check the urine strips these days, but when I do, they still show somewhere in the moderate to higher range (40 - 80, whatever the numbers mean). I am on my second little tube of 50, purchased at a local pharmacy for about $12 a tube. I used them a lot when I first started, more as a way to check when I was going too far and needed to add a bit more carbs back in. I feel better and do better overall when I make sure to include some (healthy) carbs rather than going ultra-low.

I have noticed a tendency for people for whom certain measuring tools do not produce the results they want (urine strips, scales) to recommend that no one use them. I guess since scales and urine strips have always worked as measuring tools for me, I don’t see a reason to tell everyone to avoid them.

Certainly cheaper than buying blood meters, if you don’t have some other underlying medical condition where you need to check blood levels regularly.

I just bought some to check my status because I’ve been 2 months in and never checked. I have the weightloss so I figured I was in ketosis. But my wife is just starting and having them around will help her on her beginning. I also may use them later to start increasing my carb limit from 20 to 30 or 40 to see what my body can tolerate. Also some of those times I may have the accidental and have some of the flu symptoms reappear I can shock with them. I dont have a blood monitor and would like to go that route on the long run but I think trusting my body will be the best route. I dont have any known health issues that have been diagnosed so I just staying belown20 grams to get the train rolling!! Keep up the good work!!