Are my Cholesterol levels normal? 2 months Keto

(Awad Al Sayaari) #1

Hello

I am new to this community and I hope I benefit from all of you who have been in this great experience of Keto.

I have started my Keto recently and its my second month so I decided to do a blood test out of curiosity :blush:

The results were all Ok except the Cholesterol readings (which did not surprise me of course😀)

I would like to share the results with you for any advice from you to me as am just starting and I need to hear the lessons learned by people more experienced than me in this diet.

Total Cholesterol: 7.3 mmol/L
LDL : 5.64 mmol/L
HDL : 1.9 mmol/L
Triglycerides: 1.09 mmol/L

I have understood from few youtube presentations that What matters really is the ratio of (TG to HDL) which tells the amount of the dense particles of LDLs within that bad LDL.

So my TG/HDL is : 1.09/1.9 = 0.57 (is that good sign?)

I hope to see some feedback and comments from you guys and accept my sincere gratitude

:blush:

(Sheri Knauer) #2

Yes. If your Trig to HDL ratio is under 1, you are all good!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

If your trigs and HDL are measured in mg/dL, then a ratio under 2.0 is great; if in mmol/L, then the goal is to be under 0.9. Your ratio is wonderful. The other number to be concerned with is small, dense LDL, which usually tracks with triglycerides. A low trig/HDL ratio like yours generally means that your LDL is mostly large and fluffy. Total cholesterol and total LDL you don’t need to worry about.

(Awad Al Sayaari) #4

Hello again

Yesterday I made another blood test and the results were as following:

Total cholesterol 9 mmol,
HDL 2.04,
LDL 7.03 mmol,
non HDL cholesterol 6.96 mmol,
triglycerides 0.94 mmol.

So based on the formula above, my new ratio of TRIG / HDL has been further improved to become = 0.46

I just did not get the meaning and the significance of the non HDL Cholesterol!! What is that?

(ianrobo) #5

happy to share mine after 18 months

As you can see Trig/HD is outstanding !!

(Awad Al Sayaari) #6

Great!

Your results are awesome :clap:

(ianrobo) #7

yep I was rather pleased when I saw them, got nothing to compare to but clearly LCHF is no issue for me and I think for the majority the same would apply

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

@Awad_Al_Sayaari Basically, “non-HDL cholesterol” means total LDL cholesterol. But I think they phrased it that way, because they used arithmetic to get the number, rather than measuring it directly. In other words, they took your total cholesterol and subtracted your HDL from it to get the number.

(Awad Al Sayaari) #9

Pauil

Thanks for the comment

What do you think of these readings?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

I think they are excellent. As you mention, your ratio of triglycerides to HDL is superb. When measured in millimoles per liter, anything under 0.9 is considered good; your ratio is very good. You can be very confident that your LDL consists mostly of the large, fluffy kind, which is what you want to have. Congratulations, and keto on!

(Awad Al Sayaari) #11

Thank you PaulL