April Showers of Keto Recipes

(Jane) #1

Frittata with egg, cream, onion, garlic, spinach, tomatoes, 4 fancy cheese and bacon. Was delicious. Don’t even miss the potatoes I used to put in mine.

So I learned how to properly prepare scallops for the first time in my life. I’ve always hated the flavor when I tried to cook them. I learned if you soak them in milk for an hour (I used HWC) it removes the drink the bottom of the ocean flavor that always gagged me. Restaurants know this which is why theirs tastes so good.

I made a garlic champagne cream sauce and crushed some Keto Parmesan Rosemary crackers and mixed with butter for the topping. It was heaven.

!

And this is my favorite snack. I get roast beef sliced thick, spread cream cheese on it, and sprinkle with diced fresh red or yellow bell pepper. I also sprinkle with sea salt and sometimes crushed pieces of my homemade dehydrated vidalia onions. Little bites of heaven.

(Pascal Menezes) #3

So please point me to your recipe

Me? The scallops one?

(Jane) #5

Me too - the scallops! They look amazing

(Pascal Menezes) #6

Sorry, maybe my mistake. I was responding to Artificial Sweetners.

Pascal Menezes

Ok here goes. I followed a recipe just to guide me but I made major changes to it so it will be easier to just explain what I did. I hope I remember correctly:

You first need:
1 lb scallops
Half &half or HWC
Almond milk

Soak the raw scallops in the milk/cream mixture for 1-2 hours in your fridge. Make sure the scallops are completely submerged. I used equal parts of both but if you like you could just use the cream alone.

Next, here’s a list of other ingredients used:
-Sea salt and finely ground pepper
-2T Avocado oil
-2T Butter
-2 cloves fresh garlic minced
-1C Pinot Grigio white wine or a Champagne of your choice
-2/3C heavy cream
-1T fresh squeezed lemon juice
-1/4C crumbs: you can process a bunch of Keto crackers like a parmesan rosemary almond cracker, or do 2T of Keto cracker crumbs and 2T panko crumbs. The carbs per serving are minimal
-4-6T freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
-1T fresh lemon zest (I juice a ton of lemons every few months for the juice, and I zest the skins first, then freeze them in ice cube trays - so I can pull out fresh zest anytime from that)
-3T Butter
Parsley or chives or whatever leafy garnish you like.

1. Dab the scallops dry really well with paper towels. Sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper.
  2. heat the oil over high heat in a nonstick skillet or one treated to not let food stick.
  3. Once it is smoking hot sear the scallops on one side for 2 mins until golden brown. Then flip over for 60 seconds to brown but don’t overcook them.
  4. remove the scallops to a baking dish and arrange in a single layer.
  5. reduce heat to medium and wipe out the skillet.
  6. Add 1T butter to the pan. Add the garlic and cook about 30-60 seconds.
  7. add the wine or champagne and cook until it is reduced by half. About 3-5 mins.
  8. Add the heavy cream and lemon juice. Simmer 2 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
  9. Once it starts to thicken add 2-3 T grated Parmesan and stir until melted.
  10. turn off flame and add another 1T butter to the sauce stirring until melted and incorporated.
  11. Pour the sauce over the scallops
  12. Crush your chosen bread/cracker crumbs and mix in 2-3T fresh grated Parmesan, and your herbs of choice, and mix well
  13. add lemon zest and 3T melted butter and mix well
  14. sprinkle over the tops of the scallops.
  15. bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes

Is this the April food pic thread or the recipes imply we need to do something more elaborated than tossing a piece of pork chuck into the air fryer with salt on it? :wink: As I did that.

The more complicated thing comes when I will FINALLY realize an old plan and make an ice cream cake for my nameday (it will be on the 27th). It must be a caramel one as it is the only sweet and salty flavor. Eggs are quite salty to me now. I do love caramel and barely ate any since went to low-carb.
The cake will be carnivore, of course. I am not sure I will last until the 27th with my carnivore-ish (no problem this far but almost never reached even day #10 in the past… 14 days is my personal record, that happened only once) but if I go off, I still come back right away.

(Robin) #9

What does NAMEDAY mean?

It’s the day to which one’s name is assigned… I am aware not every culture has it but as far as I know, name day is an existing term… And I googled and it 2 words, fine. It’s one in Hungarian and I didn’t know.
Apparently it’s a Christian thing as it involves our Christian name (it’s even valid for me as I was christened but it’s called a Christian name anyway here) and then it just became common.
Some popular names have multiple days in the calendar, mine only has the one :slight_smile:

My borderline asleep SO says that name day happens in the Game of Thrones too, Joeffrey has one and there is a tournament in celebration… Oh I totally forgot that already.

(Jane) #11

Salad with lettuce from my hydroponic, onion, tomatoes, cheese, bacon, eggs, avocado and homemade ranch dressing.

Not shown: asparagus from the garden roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper,

Eta: leftover smoked chicken in the salad also

Even my iceberg salads aren’t tiny anymore :smiley: But they are the ones coming out all by themselves. Whatever I have sowed are really tiny.

But for me, it’s still carnivore April :smiley: I don’t really want a huge variety right now, it’s pork after pork every day though I had hen and tuna yesterday too. But I didn’t shoot them.

This is green ham, pan (with some lard) + air fryer. I am very happy with my air fryer, it’s fun.

(Jane) #13

Salad and sour cream chicken enchiladas made with leftover smoked chicken and low carb tortillas

(Jane) #14

Liberally seasoned a tri-tip roast and vacuum sealed it. Tossed it in the sous vide at 135 F for 24 hrs for dinner tomorrow.

(Robin) #15

Oh my gosh… that looks so good! I admire your culinary stamina.

Mine isn’t as colorful as @Janie’s… But I like it :slight_smile: It’s fried trimmed fat parts from a pig’s abs (and surrounding area. whatever muscles are around the abdominal cavity…? mostly thin but not all of them and I only recognized the abs as human abs look similar, it’s very recognizable and anyway, I know it’s the lower belly part). We have a word for that cut but I didn’t find any in English.
Whatever, I like that part and the “scratchings” (just fat tissue and meat but how could I call it? simply fried into crunchy oblivion?) were superb, better than my usual ones.

(Jane) #17

Tri-tip roast sous vide at 135 F for 24 hrs, then tossed on the grill for a few minutes. Egg salad compliments of my hens and roasted asparagus from our garden.

Yum! I LOVE this way of eating. Your picture says it all

Just had a 1.5” thick 20 oz ribeye that was from heaven itself. Grilled to perfection, then topped with fresh basil and thyme and a couple pats of butter. So juicy and flavorful. I forgot to get a picture of its beauty because I couldn’t hold off digging in.

However, as I’m recovering from Covid my appetite has been lower the past two weeks and I don’t eat as much each day right now, so I was only able to eat 1/4 of the steak! But yay, at least 2 more meals from it. Heh heh. And I’ve been a good girl making sure I eat protein each day even though I have no appetite.

(Doug) #20

A good ribeye is mighty hard to beat. :sunglasses::clap: