April 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Dena) #307

I had to quit at 65 so you made it longer than me! I also learned a few things regarding gut issues. I will keep in mind to stay away from avacado and nuts now too. Also learned that by day 3 I cannot handle caffeinated coffee lol so thinking of trying just water. I’m now back on another fast. Wanting to see if I can make it longer than 72 hours but will still be thrilled if I can pass 65 :grin:

(Steve) #308

If you had an intestinal response to the coffee (which is pretty common - it tends to get things moving), then you might want to try finding some tea with lower caffeine content.

Green tea is one of them (though I know a lot of people aren’t fond if its flavour). Has a lot of health benefits.

(Dena) #309

Thanks Steve! I actually love green tea but haven’t had any in a long time. I really should try switching to that instead of coffee. I think it would be perfect actually. Just enough caffeine to get going but not so much that I get stomach issues or the jitters. Thanks for the idea!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #310

Anyone planning on fasting through till the new month? I started about 30 mins ago. Thinking about 96hours this week.

(Steve) #311

+1 - definitely going to do at least 72. Started at 4:30pm ET (so 3 1/2 in).

(Liz ) #312

I guess I am! Started my weekly fast at 7 pm Saturday. Hoping to get to Tuesday night.

(Raj Seth) #313

I think I started about same time. Saturday 4/28, 10 pm Eastern. Fast of indefinite duration. Fasting till I can’t.
Need to lower recalcitrant blood sugar numbers (120s). Side bonus, maybe wear 34” slacks without muffin topping!

(Liz ) #314

I’m out after 24 hours. We went to a club to watch a band last night & I got like, 5 hours sleep. I was fine all day, good energy, but around 5:30 pm I got super hungry which I rarely do when fasting, it wouldn’t let up so I was like OK I’ll have dinner! I’m thinking the lack of sleep was the issue. NBD, any fasting at all is good enough.

(Raj Seth) #315

Yeah, right? Fasting is so hard to restart - NOT!!
No $$ tkts to buy, no $$ medicines to buy, no $$ consultant fees to pay. No wonder it sucks and is denigrated by all :joy:

(Liz ) #316

Haha! You make a good point, no one is profiting when we don’t eat, very threatening to the status quo! Well, except the pink salt companies, they must be ecstatic :rofl:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #317

Just now passing 60 hours. Probably need some salt! :cry:

(Steve) #318

Yeah, I normally have a couple electrolyte drinks a day. Still drinking a lot of water (and some green tea) when fasting.
Heh…wish I could get myself to like black coffee. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #319

May is now live :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #320

Thanks Allie.

(Beth) #321

So, full disclosure, I don’t have allergies myself but my husband has terrible allergies. We went on the AIP late January. I documented the whole thing in an accountability thread on this forum. My husband’s IBS, reflux, body aches and sleep apnea almost immediately resolved. We never really thought about his allergies in January when we started…

So our big confounding factor now is honey. Someone we spoke with before allergy season started swears by local unpasteurized honey as a treatment for allergies. Honey, OMG, not on keto!! But my husband is on the fringe, let’s call it strong paleo (no grains, very few carbs, etc.) so he decided to try it. He has been taking two teaspoons of this raw, local honey a day (1 morning and 1 evening). Fast forward to today, allergy season in Maryland. Trees are blooming and grass is growing. Normally the sounds of springtime in our house are honking, blowing and throat clearing. Mike would be taking Zyrtec to cope. But no Zyrtec this year!

So, what did it?? I personally think it’s that his immune system calmed down due to the anti-inflammatory effect of the diet and the elimination of grains, refined foods and most carbohydrates. OR…maybe it’s the honey giving him an inoculation similar to a vaccine. Who knows? We are not willing to test this out right now since he is still feeling so well but I thought I’d share when I saw your question. Hopefully this will help someone!

(Trish) #322

Check out bee pollen instead. Supposed to be great and low carb.

(Beth) #323

Great, thanks for that tip!

(KCKO, KCFO) #324

I have used honey for my allergies for years. I get it from just down the road, where there is an organic garden with the hives. I used to take lots of allergy meds, some help one symptom, other ones help other symptoms. I took the honey for itchy eyes. It worked a treat every time.

This year, so far, not one allergy med has been needed, last year’s season (Aug is my 2 yrs with this WOE) I just used the honey, I worked it into my carb allotment.

This year I am doing well enough, I even am back in the garden helping DH with it. I haven’t been able to do that in decades.

I freakin’ love keto/LCHF way of life.

(Wendy) #325

Just curious why? I love my green tea.

(KCKO, KCFO) #326

Just an update on my hairdresser. Her husband, her Phy. Assistant, and a workmate are all doing IFing and Low Carbing because of her. Her Phy. Assistant told her she is going to suggest lower carbs to all their diabetic patients now.

It is so great paying it forward and seeing others success so they want to pay it forward too.