Apple Cider Vinegar ACV

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

So I’m seeing more mention of ACV in posts. What is your consensus about ACV and its benefits?

Those of you that find benefits, do you use a brand that has the sediment or is the clear ACV good enough? If sediment, what brand? Pictures, please.

Thanks

(Alex ) #2

I use this one on my salads, which is a cloudy one “with the mother” or sediment - it’s pretty cost effective. I use it for the taste really.

I use ACV too when I do a epsom salt flush as a way to take away the taste from the magnesium, works pretty well.

Recently, I also used it on a small patch of folliculitis / staphylococcus skin infection and it really helped with the inflammation, itching and healing, but I’m not sure it got rid of the infection, just the symptoms.

I’ve used other brands too without the cloudiness, but just in cooking, and the salads. It goes great with roast chicken thighs I’ve found, gives them sharpness.

bragg-apple-cider-vinegar

Yep, I use the same as Alex. Everyday in my Keto-Aide. (Twice a day whenever fasting)

My Keto-Aide version:
1 tbsp - Bragg ACV
1/2 tbsp. Magnesium Citrate
1/2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp. Morton’s Lite Salt
20 once glass bottle just for this concoction.

I too have tried other brands, which seemed to work just fine. But after reading up some on AVC, this one also seemed to get better reviews. Store brand/s usually are cheaper, but just stuck with this one. (Also use it in some food recipes too. - I like adding it to Deviled Eggs sometimes.)

Cider vinegar from Aldi for me (sorry, no pics).

2 tablspoons a day in my ketoaide, which I glug down in one, in the morning. Not sure that’s the best way to do it or not.

Can’t say if it has much of an affect on me cause I’ve done it from the start, so I have nothing to compare. I figure that everyone says to use it, so I do.
Mine isn’t cloudy.

(Vanessa R) #5

Hello. I have a follow up question. I know I have read a lot of great benefits from ACV, especially the one with the “mother”. I don’t doubt any of it. However, I have a hard time even getting near the bottle. To me it is the most disgusting acid smell. I have it at home and my husband drinks it and swears by it.
I recently bought ACV capsules because I really want to benefit from the benefits. Does anyone know if the capsules (with the mother), are just as beneficial or just not good enough?

Thanks in advanced.
Vanessa

My wife actually asked me the same about the capsules, but I don’t know anyone who uses or has used them? But I’ve also heard somewhere that you can always freeze it, similar to pill form and simply swallow them? Just mention this in case it’s useful to you. :slight_smile: … I personally always liked Vinegar, so it doesn’t bother me at all. But my son has also mentioned when he first started adding it to his Keto-Aide, he wasn’t to bothered, but actually likes it now? Might just take a little time to get used to it. (But that’s pretty much with anything) :slight_smile:

(Brennan) #7

I use Filsingers Organic because it’s local to me (made 2 hours North of here). I find no real difference between it and Bragg. I believe it’s helped, but I’ve been doing it pretty much since I started keto so it’s hard to say how much of my progress is directly related to the ACV.

My Keter-aid recipe:
Juice of 1 small lime (organic)
2 Tbsp ACV
1/2 tsp Redmond’s Real Salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate)
1 good squirt of Skinnygirl Stevia Extract Liquid Sweetener
Finished off with about 300 ml sparkling water

I want to phase out the sweetener eventually, I just can’t do it without it just yet. I drink this morning and night fasting or not.

(Troy) #8

Same as @Alex_PN
I have just about every night!!
Couple of hours b4 bed
ACV, lemon juice, powder ginger, cinnamon, turmeric
Occasionally liquid stevia
W water and ice
And a straw to protect my pearly whites as a precaution :smile:

Benefits :thinking:
I sleep great, besides the restroom breaks
No late night hunger pings
I wake up NOT hungry

I guess it’s working for me😳

(Carl Keller) #9

I saw a video about this very subject a few weeks ago YT and if I rememer correctly, the capsules with the mother are nearly as good as the liquid. Just don’t buy the capsules that are acetic acid. That’s not real ACV but it does have some lessor benefits.

(Doug) #10

Good. Bragg stuff is high-priced and marketed with heavy doses of pretense and outright lies, sad to say. The subject has come up before.

I am not saying that Bragg brand apple cider vinegar is “bad,” just that the premium price that comes with the ‘Bragg’ name is almost always entirely unwarranted.

I normally buy Bragg’s and recommend it. That said, I’ve also purchased Heinz (with the mother) and find little difference if any.

In the morning, I take 2 tbls with a dash of pink salt and well diluted with tap water and just chug it down.

At night I do the same with just 1 tsp to ensure I digest my night meds without upset.

When trying to make my bowels move when extended fasting, I use 2 tbls of ACV with 2-3 tbls of magnesium citrate and a few drops of lemon juice with cold water and over ice. I sip it down in conjunction with a hot cup of black coffee. If I’m not fasting and want things to move I will add a squirt of Mio to add taste.

Always buy the type with “ the mother”.

(Omar) #12

all vinigers created equal including coconut viniger or any other viniger.

I am sure viniger reduces my blood glucose .

but it hurts my colon as I have IBS.

people with IBS have to be little cautious with ACV

(Alex ) #13

If you buy the Aldi Cloudy version here, and scan the barcode on MyFitnessPal it actually brings up the Bragg brand, so Bragg are clearly making it for more than one retailer. It’s also exactly the same bottle dimensions - price point is ok at £1.99 I think.

Conversely - you can buy the genuine Bragg at Holland & Barrett - and it costs £6.99 !!!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #14

Thanks all. I found Braggs at wegmans. I’ll look for something cheaper before this bottle is empty.

My plan is 2 tablespoons in 8 oz of water in the morning and 1 in 8 oz of water in the evening. I’m going to keep this simple.

I did my morning dose already and it was easy but I like acidic food.

I’m targeting fasting (IF, OMAD) at least 4 days a week and will do my first EF at the start of this week.

I really appreciate this forum and everyone’s advice.

I know you asked about ACV, so not sure how much you like or would want to use Lemon Juice, but just adding a 1/2 to1 tbsp or so could also be beneficial as well? Though I haven’t personally had issues with them, my wife and son both have experienced Kidney Stones a few times, so it’s added it to the mix as a preventative.

(Betsy) #16

Your message about ACV being irritating when one has IBS made me wonder if mast cells are involved. I had started wondering about mast cell involvement because so many foods cause me intestinal pain, and ACV is definitely a no no for me, and found this study.

And this reminds me that many years ago I took a combination of ACV with baking soda and found it very helpful. I stopped because I didn’t like the smell, and switched to lemon juice with baking soda. I may try both of them again.

Looking into mast cell degranulation can open up new insights into the problems.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #17

Thanks Dave. Should I do this twice a day? What about the small amount of calories and carbs when I am fasting. Can I just double up when I’m eating. Currently my fasting is IF 18/6 and OMAD. Soon EF (48 hr).

I use 1/2 tbsp. daily in my morning Keto-Aide, and the Cal/Carbs I believe are quite minimal. (Hasn’t seemed to be an issue for me) But the benefits are worth it to me too. I only do it twice a day when I’m fasting, and have a second Keto-Aide in the evening. … My son actually uses it even more, putting it in a few drinks that he drinks during the day. hasn’t hurt his numbers at all. So he might do 2 or 3 a day?

When I looked it up a while back, this is what it says about 1 tbsp., so it would be half of this. So if you only did 1/2 tbsp. Basically it’s 0.625 per 1/2 tbsp. … Click the image for the full sheet

Plus, as far as creating any additional spikes, you can just make sure to take it with meals. Wouldn’t be a problem at all then, and it doesn’t matter when you take it, so this works too. :slight_smile:

(Omar) #19

interesting read

In my case it is not exactly IBS but diverticulosis ( not diverticulitis )

thanks for the link

(Mike W.) #20

What is the purpose of it on an empty stomach? Say first thing in the morning or while fasting? I thought the benefit came from properly digesting and aiding in absorbing all the vitamins and minerals from eating?