Anyone running their first 5k (or other length) this year?

(Bob M) #1

Well, after being anti-running for so long, mainly because (1) I liked biking better and (2) I always got hurt, I’m turning around to jogging again. I think I’m going to sign up for a 5k, running April 29th.

I have been doing body weight (BW) training 2x/week then HIIT one day (plus more on my “short” BW training). So, my aerobics isn’t bad, but I’m sure “running” (I’m slow) that distance will be a challenge.

As for injuries, I’m going to ease into it, and potentially wear different shoes at times (the latter recommended by a Zach Bitter podcast). And it’s only 3 miles, which isn’t a lot, and I’ll only be running 3-4 times per week, depending on the week.

Anyone else planning on a first “official” run?

(Robin) #2

That would be a no, for me. BUT congrats… way to go!

(Alec) #3

Bob
As someone who has run 5k about 1000 times, I think I have earned the right to give you a small tip.

Run slow.

That’s it. Simple. And really effective. And every good runner does this, whether they are an Olympian or just an experienced casual runner. Most training is done slow. And for beginners, running slow in races is also the right thing.

Why? 5k is not that far… if you walk it, it takes about 50 minutes, if you slow jog, it should take about 40 mins, if you’re young or you’ve trained a bit, 30 mins is OK, if you’re a decent runner it’s 25 mins, if you’re good, it’s 20 mins, and if you are competitive then sub 15 it is. My point is doing 5k is totally relative to your current ability and training. Jogging 5k after a bit of training is possible for 95% of the population. You don’t have to be young, fit, fast or even that committed.

You just have to go slow.

After you’ve done it once, slowly, then try again and beat your last time, then do it again, before long you find you’ve sped up a bit and you might even get hooked on running (like I did!).

Good luck and enjoy your running!
Cheers
Alec

(GINA ) #4

I would also add that most people develop aerobic endurance faster than they strengthen/develop the muscles, tendons, etc needed for running and often overdo and get injured that way. So if you find you can do three miles in a few weeks, don’t suddenly jump to six. Also, like Alec said, go slow to start and increase slowly. If you find you can run three miles at at 12 mm pace, don’t suddenly try to push it to 9 mm. That’s where the injuries come from.

I am sure Zach Bitter is right about shoes, but that isn’t something you need to worry about now. If you have the shoes already it won’t hurt, but I wouldn’t go out and get multiple pairs so you can rotate.

Have fun! Running is cool.

I was just wondering if I have run 5K 1000 times. No, only about 850, but that is probably enough to give advice too. :grinning:

(Bob M) #5

Nice, thanks for the advice.

I have “flat” shoes, just basically thin slabs, which I use for body weight training. I’ve done some jogging and hiking in them. But I’m not sure how well they’ll do longer distances.

I’m also on beta blockers, which makes my heart rate slow. It’s very difficult to get a high heart rate. That means I’m even slower than slow. So, when I was running a few years ago on the road near my house, I estimated I was going to be lucky to run a 5k in under an hour.

I no longer run on that road, as though the speed limit is only 25 MPH, I’ve been passed while driving 40 MPH. It’s also incredibly narrow, two cars barely fit. I’ll have to see where I can train.

(Alec) #6

No need to get a high heart rate. In fact, the lower the rate, the better. If you can get round under an hour, that’s great! If that’s your objective I would thoroughly recommend the run walk method. Run a bit, then walk a bit, and repeat for the whole 5k. Run-walk is gentler on the joints, you recover faster, and often results in a faster time than trying to run all the way (trust me, I’ve done a lot of run/walks!!).

Good on you for having a clear goal, understanding your limitations, but doing it anyway. Fantastic!

I am 57, and I do a 5k every week (parkrun). I had a discussion with an 83 year old who was doing it a couple of weeks ago, and they asked me if I was planning to continue into later life… I said: “you betcha! My plan is to run parkrun until I am physically unable to do it. When I have to stop, then I will volunteer each week until I can’t do that any more. It is then likely not long before they put me in a box. I am seriously thinking of asking them to scatter my ashes on the local parkrun course!” :joy::joy::joy:
Cheers
Alec

Another runner here. Well, nowadays, jogger.

I think the walk run idea is fantastic.

Your balance, running form and step will be figured out by you, without even thinking of it, just because you’re practicing. You need all of that to help your body cope with the impact. Your muscles need to work to help you deal with the impact of hitting the ground. Running form is the most important thing and you need time to figure it out. If you start to really run too soon, perhaps your form won’t be as good as it can get with practice, and you’ll hurt your knees, for instance.

I’d keep doing it (jog/walk) for much longer than you think it is necessary.

Running 5k is super easy. The difficult thing is to run consistently AND not get your knees, feet, etc hurt.

About the shoe thing… does the guy saying this offer links and discounts for shoes? Is he sponsored by shoe makers? I’m very suspicious of that kind of speech. Or is he an ultra runner? A pro? Their needs are different.

I’d say the least important thing in running is the shoe. Nowadays, even cheap shoes have cushioning enough. Your quads and back/core muscles are a lot more important. And your form, stride, step.

The thing is that the form adapts to the shoe. So, I can’t see changing shoes all the time as something good for the runner. Sure, if you’re really very committed and doing it for a living, you’ll be able to adapt quickly, etc. But for the common mortal who just wants to do a 5k a couple of times a weak…

I have 170 euros and 55 euros running shoes. There’s no difference between them, except that the shoe box is a bit wider in one pair. It means my toes spread less, or more, depending on the shoe I’m wearing. A tiny difference, nothing huge. Lacing them differently changes that.

Running shoes should be big enough that your toes don’t hit the front of it when you run. Attention, because with the impact, your foot kind of flattens more and it is as if it was bigger. Just standing up doesn’t reproduce this. You need do jump up and down with the shoes when you’re buying them to test how they feel with impact. Better yet, sprint in them, before buying. If you can’t, just jump up and down, paying attention if they’re big enough for your toes when your foot is being squashed by the impact.

Socks are kind of important. I like them tight. It kind of works for me in preventing blisters, but you’ll find what works for you with practice. I know runners who love thin socks. I can’t even begin to understand! Lol

Run is fun. The freedom!

Fellow cyclist here. The advantage of running: if the weather is really bad, a shorter workout (run instead of bike) will give the same boost. When traveling, it is easier to take your running shoes than your bike.

Plus, the more things we can do, the better it is for not getting bored.

nope and never will

running was never even a blink in my eye

I will ‘jog’ to my kayak or bike or maybe jog a tad on a hike but darn if someone could get me to run around some location for whatever reason and I would enjoy it… :clown_face:

I get some love running but it will never be a focus for me. Now run from danger, not even that kinda in that before flight run I would turn and fight like a mad dog with rabies before running :star_struck: but if I could RUN away before a fight I would I think.

ok that is me!

But for new runners the key is slow and build. They got new beginner running forums and apps to ‘train yourself’ from professionals like that ‘couch to 10K’ site that tells you how to achieve those goals in good form etc…yea I looked at one once, never did it but it has great info on how to train yourself up into mini marathons and more. Google that and you hit tons of info on what to do to move forward in good form.

(Bob M) #9

Thanks, @Alecmcq and @Corals. I am doing a walk/run type of program.

On the treadmill (aka “dreadmill”), I was running at 5 mph for 3 minutes, then walking for 1 minute.

I downloaded an app called C25K (couch to 5k). I drove to the local park, and used it. It has a 3 minute warm up, then 1:00 (I think) running and 1:30 walking (again, I think), 8 jogs, and 8 walks, then a recovery.

My comments:

• it was too easy
  • BUT I’m also going to 3x/week running AND 2x/week body weight training, so 1-2 more days per week than I was doing. I’m following it anyway.
  • It won’t let me get data about my run. It tells me once, but then I can’t go back and find our how long my distance was.
  • It wants me to pay $10/month or $60year for something (music? The ability to look at data?)
  • It doesn’t talk much, just says when to start/stop running or walking.
  • It allows me to listen to a podcast/audio book.
  • I can skip workouts, in case I want to go to a harder workout

This morning, I tried Runkeeper, My first 5k. This was from home, and it was brutally cold outside, well below freezing.

• I had to stop using it, as if I played my podcast, the timer for Runkeeper stopped
  • The woman guiding me spoke way too much.
  • Do I have to buy the program so I can listen to a podcast? I don’t know.
  • It wouldn’t let me skip to a harder workout.

I had to switch back to C25K, as I wanted to listen to a podcast.

Driving to the park made me realize that I can’t do that during the week, and that I’ll have to run from my small road onto the nasty, narrow road into which my small road T-bones, at least 2 days a week. Today, I did not run on the nasty, narrow road, but will this Thursday.

I bought a headlamp, a reflective vest, and small flashing lights, so at least people will see me. I’m only on the nasty road for about half a mile, then I can get to other, less-traveled roads.

Right now, I’m using shoes that I had in my closet, but ones I have not worn in a long time. They are not running shoes. I will go get some running shoes as soon as I can, maybe this weekend.

As for socks, I haven’t gone there yet. This morning, the socks were part wool (called “smartwool”), as it was very cold.

Looking to run a 5k that’s currently scheduled for the end of April.

Edit: Yesterday, I did body weight training for 1 hour, 10 minutes. Today, I did lower back/abs, then went jogging for 30 minutes, total of about 55 minutes, but that included putting on multiple layers because it was so cold outside.

I was so hungry I ate some breakfast. I haven’t done that in a long time, as in years. We’ll have to see if this continues.

(Alec) #10

Good stuff, Bob, keep it going. I am pleased you said your first run/walk was too easy. That is exactly how it should feel. When you’ve done it 5 times and it still feels easy, that’s the time to increase the running portion a bit, and reduce the walking a bit. But keep it slow and easy, nothing quick. If you want to step anything up a bit, go longer rather than faster.

Most important: if you are on any dangerous roads, you must be super visible, and also no headphones or earbuds… be super aware of the noises around you. Be ready at all times to jump out of the way… I know this sounds terrible, but it is the same as defensive driving, you need to be super aware and ready for the worst.
Cheers
Alec

(Bob M) #11

Good points, Alec. I hope I’m as visible as I can be, but there’s basically no shoulder at all on these roads. A slight incline on one side and a railing on the other, with barely enough room for two cars to pass each other. When I used to “run” (a misnomer, really; “jog” or “go slightly faster than a turtle” might be more realistic) on this road, I would leap onto the incline or jump/step over the railing.

I’ll have to cut off my sound until the easier road, or maybe not wear ear buds at all. That might work.

(Alec) #12

Safety should be our #1 priority at all times, and it should trump everything. It sounds to me like you have already done a good risk assessment and thought about mitigations, which is excellent. We can’t be scared away from going out, but we need to minimise risk. :+1:

(GINA ) #13

It has been a while since I used Runkeeper, but there is a setting where you can say how often you want it to talk and what to say. When I last used it the default was to say everything every 5 minutes, which was annoying. I have it set now for distance and pace only at the end of every mile.

It will also let you set custom intervals if you don’t like the standard ones.

(Bob M) #14

Thanks, @Alecmcq I looked yesterday on the way home, and there’s not much snow. This means I should be able to at least go off road easier, if necessary. And I’ll not bring my earbuds. I’ll daydream, I guess. :wink:

Thanks for that info, @GME. I’ll see if there’s a setting I can manipulate.

I do like having the app tell me what to do, as it means I don’t have to manually do this. That’s a lot harder. Not bad if you’re doing X on X off, but when it’s 1:30 on and 1:00 off, that means I’d have to manipulate the timer while running. Not a good idea.

Congratulations on the progress!

I use Runkeeper and play podcasts at the same time. I use an app called SimpleABP for playing podcasts and another musicfolderplayer for music.

Could it be your Runkeeper stopped for another reason? Some phone settings stop apps from running in the background. You’d have to find these settings if that’s the problem.

I didn’t pay for Runkeeper. In the settings you can change how many times the lady speaks and what she says. I asked for no talk and she’s quiet. Sometimes I like the drill Sargent voice. He is mean to me! Lol

Runkeeper > settings > audio stats

You can disable for no talk at all, or change what triggers the talk: km, or min, and what it is said.

On the start screen of Runkeeper you can plan a workout. For instance 1 min, 2 min, repeat 10 times. Cool down and warm up tines, too. Runkeeper > start > workout > custom workout > create new workout

Kudos for the reflective stuff. It’s good to be visible. I use it too. Mainly these days. So dark, here!

The multiple layers will fall with time. I run in shorts and long sleeve thermal shirt and a beanie and buff down to 20 F. Lower, I add pants. Sometimes I wear gloves for the start, then when I’m warmer I put them in my pocket.

Do keep us posted! I’m rooting for you!

(Bob M) #16

Thank you. I will look into Runkeeper settings. I made the mistake of just starting it and running. I should’ve taken a bit of time to look at it. I’ll see if I can do that this weekend.

I’ve done 2 days this week, my third will be Saturday. And two body weight training days. So far, what I’ve noticed is that I’m way hungrier. I even at breakfast, for instance, and I ate early this morning (before 10am).

Anyway, this is the podcast with the guy who recommended using two pairs of shoes if you have them:

I might do this, only because I do have two pairs of shoes, and will get a third (“real” running shoes). I’ll try my flat shoes, which I have used before for running, and for hiking too. They are really just for body weight training, but maybe one day o week would place the emphasis elsewhere, and keep me more injury-free? That’s the idea.

Of course, this is Zach Bitter, who runs more in one race than I’ll run in a year. And he’s interviewing someone whose clients are real athletes. I’m not that.

(Alec) #17

Bob
I think that running in more than one pair of shoes is a good idea. It’s a good idea to buy a pair of “real” running shoes, but don’t get too fancy. A basic pair will be just fine. Don’t get sucked into all the marketing of the expensive shoes and how they are supposed to be better. Marketing.

You will get hungrier when you run, and that is just fine. Eat and feed your body, it needs great nutrition to sustain and build. If you are doing weights, your body wants to build muscle, and this takes great nutrition.

Keep at it, it takes patience and consistency, but the results will come.

I am doing another 5k tomorrow morning (parkrun), I will let you know how I go. :grinning:
Cheers
Alec

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

But they are better—at least, for the company, because they can charge more for them. That is an objective measure of just how much “better” they are, lol!

(I once asked an advertising copy writer what the word “premium” meant in advertising, and he said, “This model costs more.” And people say there’s no truth in advertising!)

(Viola Rosan) #19

I’ve been running consistently every other day for 9 months and it’s great. I haven’t run a Marathon yet, though I am slowly increasing my distance and do intend to run a personal Marathon sometime this year. I love that I have flexibility for my run days (especially on days where the weather is dreadful) and focus on strength workouts.
Good luck to you!

(Alec) #20

It didn’t go well… first 2k was great, 3rd k was a struggle, last 2k’s was garbage. This happens. Sometimes it all goes well, and things just click. Other times, you come out with a really disappointing result. This is why it is actually important that there is always another day… have another race coming up where you can do better. If you have one single race and it does not go well, this can affect you badly. Always have another one coming up… and this nullifies this issue.

Oh, well. Onward and upward…
Cheers
A