Anyone make Carrie Brown's ice creams?

(Kent) #42

@rettakat, dare I accuse you of being a SME (Subject Matter Expert) for LCHF ice cream making. You mentioned in an earlier post that you have gathered ice cream recipes from the internet over the years.

Any chance you would be willing to compile those and share with us? :smile:

(Retta Stephenson) #43

Expert not! :laughing: Still have my share of flops. But give me a couple of days, and Iā€™ll see what I can come up with. Iā€™ll try to find the links to the original authors of the recipes, out of respect for them.

(Retta Stephenson) #44

@Kent, here ya go. Can you believe we can lose weight and get healthy eating ice cream?! :smiley:

These are some Iā€™ve made or used as a starting point. I will give links where I can, and add any changes I tried.

If you are a purist, you probably wonā€™t want some of the ingredients. Iā€™m not hard nosed about minor amounts of ingredients. And of course, the sweeteners are changeable. But just be aware that erythritol can re-crystalize at times, and cause gritty ice cream.

If the link doesnā€™t provide nutritional stats, please donā€™t ask me. :smiley: You can input the ingredients to Cronometer or some place like that, and get it, if you really need it.

Again, Iā€™m not an expert at anything, just a hobbyist who has spent years convincing her husband that low carb can taste just fine. He is now on board! He is reversing his diabetes and has lost about 40 lbs. :slight_smile:

1. Keto Chocolate Ice Cream, from Stephanie Dodier

This one uses stuff like MCT oil, gelatin, egg yolks, cans of coconut milkā€¦ be sure to read the tips above the recipe for making creamy homemade ice cream.

https://www.stephaniedodier.com/keto-chocolate-ice-cream/

1. Death By Chocolate Ice Cream, from Carolyn Ketchum

Uses Swerve, egg yolks, stevia, and vodka to prevent icyness; must cook first then cool. But yum! Worth the extra effort.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/?s=death+by+chocolate+ice+cream

1. Cheesecake Ice Cream, from Ginny Larsen

Iā€™ve made this a gazillion times, changing up the flavorings and additions. Easy peasy!!

For richness, I add an egg yolk (bought some pasteurized egg yolk - NOT the whole egg kind- then froze them into ice cube trays and take one out to thaw for ice cream). Itā€™s worth it to find the Nestleā€™s Table Cream, and get a few for your cupboard. I canā€™t think of a substitute. It makes the ice cream thick and creamy without added sugar in it.

Here are a couple of my variations for Ginnyā€™s Cheesecake Ice Cream:

• Lemon Cheesecake Ice Cream: added the lemon zest along with the 1 Tablespoon lemon juice; 2 packets of TrueLemon powder; 12 drops EZ Sweetz liquid sweetener to counter the extra lemon tang; 2 tsp lecithin, 2 tsp glycerine, 1/2 tsp xanthan. Yummy, lemony and creamy, never rock hard.
  • Orange Cheescake Ice Cream: added 1 Tblspoon orange DaVinci sugar free syrup; 3 packets TrueOrange powder; 12 drops EZ Sweetz liquid sweetener, 1/2 tsp Frontier Natural orange extract, 2 tsp lecithin, 2 tsp glycerine, 1/2 tsp xanthan.
  1. Egg Fast Vanilla Frozen Custard, from Lisa at LowCarbYum

This one freezed a little on the hard side, but it very low carb. Be sure to read the tips above the recipe. It uses monkfruit and mascarpone (I used cream cheese), eggs and vanilla stevia drops.

Lisa has a lot of frozen desserts to choose from, here:

The No Egg Peach Ice Cream is on my ToDo list; I plan to try making it with peach extract instead of peach tea bags.

1. Low Carb Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream, from Maria Emmerich

Maria has SO many wonderful recipes! I own some of her cookbooks, sheā€™s that good. :slight_smile:

1. Sugar Free Coffee Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream, from Brenda Bennett at Sugar-Free Mom

My handwritten note on this one says: XLNT!

I used the recommended Vodka, and added 1 Tblspn glycerin, and instead of crushed coffee beans used 1 Tblspn of fine ground coffee, plus 1/2 tsp stevia powder (best tasting Iā€™ve found is Better Stevia Extract Powder, Organic, by NOW brand.

She says that it is her husbandā€™s favorite desssert; turns out mine LOVES it, too!

https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/sugar-free-coffee-chocolate-crunch-ice-cream/

Brenda has several pages of frozen desserts that I havenā€™t gotten around to trying yet. Iā€™m sitting at 199 pounds lost, with about 62 pounds to reach goal, so Iā€™ve slowed down a bit on desserts. No longer a daily thing. :smiley:

https://www.sugarfreemom.com/?s=ice+cream

Hope these are helpful.

Retta

(Kent) #45

Retta, Thank you so much for pointing to some fun new Ice Cream recipes. As it sits now, I bought Carrie Brownā€™s Ice cream recipe book and make the Butter Me Up (butter pecan) every week and the 1.5 quarts that comes out of that lasts me the week. I make one small change that I think improves the flavor. I add a 1/4 cup of Torani sugar free (sucralose) Salted Caramel syrup. It gives it just a hint of the salted caramel flavor that I love so much. I am definitely an ice cream-aholic and so glad that I am finding some good ice cream recipes to keep my taste buds happy. Some of the concerns about texture and flavors that others have expressed havenā€™t been an issue with me. I do notice a difference in the Quality of ice cream, but ice cream is so good (in any form) that I tend to NOT be as picky as other people can be. Bad ice cream is better than no ice cream. :smiley: But of course good/great/wonderful ice cream is even better. I will be trying the recipes you pointed me to. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Hi, Iā€™m thinking about buying Carrieā€™s ice cream book, but before I do, can someone tell me if all of the recipes use hemp milk? My local supermarkets donā€™t carry it, so Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth it. And sheā€™s pretty specific about not subbing out ingredients.
Thanks in advance!

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #47
  • Most are almond milk. Carrie is not too strict about the type of almond milk to use, but unsweetend, of course.
  • Some recipes use two types of nut milk, the second type being coconut milk in most cases. I only mention the first type of milk listed in the recipe.
  • Any typing error is mine.
recipe type of nut milk used
You Had Me At Hazelnut hemp
Va-va-voom Vanilla almond
Cafeination Station almond
Butter Me Up Pecan almond
Kept In The Dark Chocolate hemp
Pistachio Rose coconut
Butterscotch Bling almond
Immortal Avocado almond
Toasted Triple Coconut coconut
Lavender Caramel Surprise hemp