Anyone have experience with Leopard Spotted Hippo (keto ice cream and cookeis, etc) products?

snacks
icecream

(netposer) #1

Just saw an Instagram post by Cameron Hanes on this ice cream. Never heard of it but notices the words “organic cane sugar” in the ingredients of one of their flavors. I reached out to them on why they have sugar in a keto food.

https://leopardspottedhippo.com/

(Jennifer Kleiman) #2

No experience but the ice cream looks like a protein shake mix to me?

The “keto” ice creams always are! And $50 for a 4 pack of 4 pints? If I could only email them a middle finger. All these scumbag companies targeting people who don’t know how to do keto correctly can’t go out of business fast enough for me.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #4

It is simply absurd. We have an ice cream machine & make amazing keto ice cream at home with great macros and it tastes better than Haagen-Dazs, for just $1-$2 a pint. Maybe less, I haven’t figured out the cost, but nowhere near $5/pint much less $10.

(Louise ) #5

Would be interested to see what they say about the added sugar!

(Candy Lind) #6

Are there any recipes here for ice cream, or can you recommend website(s)/book(s) with good recipes? I dearly miss ice cream.

(What The Fast?!) #7

I heard about Rebel Ice Cream on @Daisy’s keto woman podcast! Their ingredients sound fab and I can’t wait to try it when it launches!

(jay) #8

I second the request for any hints or tidbits on the production of frozen keto confections you would be willing to share. Oh, and what kind of machine do you have, I’ve been looking at those table top freezer inserts and would appreciate any insights.

I make ice cream all the time in the summer. I have a couple of recipes in the Recipes section.

Bought their ice cream just for curiosity sake. Would never buy again as it’s too expensive. It came a melted mess, but they said they’ll ship me a new batch. I re-froze then and they’re ice blocks. The taste of the vanilla ones taste like coconut milk with stevia in it. Chocolate tasted a bit better. But this is not a fair taste test as they melted and re-froze. I can report back after the replacements come. The macros are decent, but I do question them. For example, the vanilla is 3 net carbs per serving, but the vanilla WITH snickerdoodle pieces spotted throughput (they call it cinnamon bun), is 2 net carbs per serving. Not sure how you can add pieces of almond flour and actually decrease the net carb count.

At any rate, I still see this as a net positive. I want more and more brands trying to bring keto foods. As long as they’re honest and hard working. Treats can be fun from time to time and can help one in their low carb journey. But I agree these prices are pretty crazy. It isn’t easy to make them low cost without crappy ingredients and at small volumes. Baby steps!

(netposer) #11

So they replied to my Instagram post about why a “keto” product contains “organic cane sugar”. They said it’s used to sweeten the cocoa powder. Not sure why the Erythritol and Stevia isn’t sweet enough.

And I’m always dubious of a company that uses the words “cane sugar” instead of sugar. Seems they are trying to trick people with just another name for sugar.

And are they really the “World’s First Ketogenic Snacks”? I’ve never heard of them before Jan 23, 2018 and I’ve been low carb and keto since 2012.

Anyone make Carrie Brown's ice creams?
(Jennifer Kleiman) #12

I can recommend our recipe at least :slight_smile: Here’s one variant, it is creamy, delicious and not too heavy. We have a standard Cuisinart ice cream maker, the kind with the bowl you need to keep in the freezer.

Will’s Chocolate Allulose Custard ice cream

We’ve been experimenting with low-carb ice cream for years now and if you’ve tried it you know how good it can be – until you put the leftovers in the freezer. Low-carb ice cream freezes hard as a rock, and never unfreezes very well. But there’s a new sweetener on the market that is zero carb and has the additional property of lowering the freezing point, so when you make low carb ice cream with allulose it remains soft and scoopable even when you store it in the freezer.

Allulose is pretty expensive and you can’t get it in a lot of countries so you can use this recipe with other sweeteners, it just won’t stay soft in the freezer.

This ice cream has more calories per serving than Halo Top but that’s because Halo Top is whipped with a lot of air and weighs a lot less. This ice cream, to me, tastes just as good as Haagen-Dazs, with less calories and 3.7g net carbs per 1/2 cup. Let me know if you try it!

Add the ingredients to a saucepan, mix gently and heat to 140F (nowhere near boiling and it’s ok to wing it), then transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge. Once chilled, put in your ice cream maker.

If you don’t have glycerine you can leave it out. If you prefer a heavier ice cream you can drop out the whey protein isolate and replace with heavy cream, or even replace the cashew milk with cream but at a certain point you’re not making chocolate ice cream but chocolate ice butter. Up to you!

1 cup Silk unsweetened cashew milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup allulose
1/2 cup unflavored whey protein isolate
1/4 cup Rodelle (or other good quality) cocoa powder
dash of salt
1 tbsp glycerine
1 tbsp vanilla extract

(Candy Lind) #13

Thanks! Now I’ll have to ask for an ice cream maker for Valentine’s Day. :innocent: What does the glycerine do? And why cashew milk instead of the “obvious” choice of almond? I imagine it’s sweeter, but also more carbs, right? What’s the sub ratio for cream instead of WPI (since powder vs. liquid)? Have you ever made 1/2 batch or less? Or will it not work in smaller batches? TIA for indulging my OCD tendencies.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #14

LOL happy to talk healthy ice cream :slight_smile:

The glycerine lowers the freezing point a bit and makes the texture more slippery. It’s an interesting sort of oily sugar alcohol that’s actually more energy-dense than sugar (120 cals/tbsp) and is digested into short-chain fatty acids so it won’t raise blood sugar, and it’s not very insulinogenic, but because of the energy density you don’t want to use too much of it.

Silk unsweetened cashew milk is my favorite alternamilk. It’s only 25 cals/cup, has no carrageenan and most importantly it tastes good. I find almond milk has an unsettling aftertaste. If you make pure cashew milk at home, it will be a lot more carbs/cals, but Silk waters down their “cashewmilk” by adding a bunch of vitamins, minerals, sunflower lecithin, gellan gum and locust bean gum, so it tastes smooth and yummy and supposedly has all the vitamins & stuff, which is nice I guess. Whatever – it has the best macros with the best taste.

If you drop the WPI, add an extra 1/2 c cream, should do the job. You could also sub Trader Joe’s coconut cream if you want to go dairyfree. That stuff is damn fine. We’ve made a coconut vanilla with that & while the coconut taste is pretty strong, it is fabulous. If you like coconut. Gonna use that as a base for rum raisin next time we make ice creams, not entirely sure what we’ll use for rum-soaked raisins though, but the coconut vanilla plus a shot of rum and a shot of espresso should get the flavor just right.

You can make a pint if you want to, lol, but why :frowning:

(Candy Lind) #15

LOL Because the more I make, the more I’ll eat!

Got the replaced shipment of the ice cream. They sent it with a gelpack and not dry ice, which is weird and risky. They’re lucky I was home right when it was delivered. It was already getting uncomfortably soft.

The taste is… “okay.” There’s a bit of a weird taste, maybe it’s the combo of coconut milk and stevia, I don’t know. My kids didn’t like it much. The chocolate with the cookie dough was the better of the flavors, and a couple of my kids had a bunch of bites before throwing in the towel. They thought it was average. I’m not a huge fan of coconut milk ice cream, it has a bit of a weird taste to me.

Looking at the ingredients, I have a feeling this thing will get rock hard, even harder than the low carb, low fat ice creams. Anyways, not bad but not great, certainly not worth the $58 (plus shipping). It wouldn’t even buy it if it were $4 at my local store. Can make it better myself at much lower cost and higher quality. But still glad to see people are getting into this space. Keto is here to stay. It works. The science is sound. The market will adapt. Grocery stores will slowly adapt. I can’t wait until I can buy pork rind waffle mix or pork rind tortillas.

(outlawpirate) #17

Thank you, I’m going to try this. I recently bought the Cuisnart ICE21 churner for $43 on Amazon, and Carrie Brown’s Ice Cream Scoop cookbook. I don’t use Xylitol (dog owner, and also has adverse gastric reaction to it). I used Erithrytol and Stevia for the first batch, which was delicious but frozen like an ice block, of course. So I bought Allulose for my second batch. It’s good, but not quite sweet enough. I look forward to trying your recipe for Batch #3.

Have you tried variations with mix-ins like frozen berries?

(Jennifer Kleiman) #18

Berries, nuts, a ribbon of fudge, ribbon of peanut butter, chocolate chips… The best was some candied pecans, also candied in allulose. We’ve been playing around with the stuff :slight_smile: The berries are best tossed on top when you eat the ice cream, otherwise they freeze into little icy lumps.

(outlawpirate) #19

Ooh! I’ve been wondering if pecans could be successfully candies in allulose. I’m going to do that. And good advice on the berries. Thank you.

(Jennifer Kleiman) #20

My pleasure! I’m so in love with allulose, haha, I’m in the process of starting a business selling allulose candies.