Anyone has a favorite cream of mushroom soup?

(Todd Chester) #1

Hi All,

Anyone have a favortie cream of mushroom soup that does not involve leeks, blenders, fat free anything, that someone without a lot of time for cooking can make?

Many thanks,
-T

(Lazy, Dirty Keto šŸ˜) #2

Not sure if you have an instant pot but if not, this recipe still whips up pretty quickly. I made it over the fall and it was tasty. I also stored some in the freezer.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

I donā€™t like creamy soups all that much, so I just fine chop mushrooms, saute them in some butter, then add to chicken broth. Add spices of your choice. I like herbs de provance and garlic powder. At that point you could add cream to your taste for a creamy mushroom soup.

(Todd Chester) #4

Looks like it is pretty easy to work with. Thank you!

(Vic) #5

I make bone broth as a basis.

Adding some mushrooms and full fat cream makes it into mushroom soep.

(Todd Chester) #6

I find if I make something to hard to make, I only make it once, So on the chicken stock front, I CHEAT!!!

(Marianne) #7

Great question - I love cream of mushroom soup!

(Marianne) #8

I make a cream of sausage soup, which I think is fabulous, if I donā€™t say so myself. I use this as a base recipe, and alter slightly to whatever I am making. Thereā€™s a lot of cheese in it. If you want more creamy than cheesy, use cream cheese and stir it with some chicken stock before you add it to the soup. Great thickener; better than straight heavy cream.

I have to say, however, that if I were making cream of mushroom soup, Iā€™d saute the mushrooms in butter and for this one ingredient, I would stick them in the blender with a little chicken stock - sorry! I donā€™t think youā€™re going to get the mushroom flavor otherwise, just by using sliced mushroom. You can leave some sliced, just for texture.

Keto Sausage Soup

Ingredients:
ā€¢ 1/4 stick of butter
ā€¢ 1-1/2 c. heavy cream (or Ā¾ c. cream, 4oz. cream cheese)
ā€¢ 2 c. water
ā€¢ 1 chicken or beef bouillon cube (or more, if needed)
ā€¢ 1-1/2 teaspoon cumin
ā€¢ 2 teaspoons hot Mexican chili powder (or regular chili powder)
ā€¢ Ā¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (or more)
ā€¢ Ā½ tsp. onion powder
ā€¢ Ā½ tsp. garlic powder
ā€¢ 1 8 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese
ā€¢ 6 small breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Deans), microwaved and chopped (or you could add chicken, shrimp, or just leave it plain, without meat)

Directions:
Add butter, crushed bouillon, cumin, chili powder, cayenne and flour to a medium pot. Cook to release flavors and form a roux. Slowly add cream, water and sausage, stirring continually to incorporate. Simmer until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted.

(Todd Chester) #9

If I have to clean up the blender, I am not going to do it. :ā€™(

I use this oneā€¦ usually skip the carrot and add a bit of acid ā€¦ maybe lemon
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-soup15.html

(Jane) #11

I grew my own mushrooms from a kit and was looking for ways to cook them. I tried this recipe and it was very good, althought I chopped my mushrooms instead of slicing them.

(Bob M) #12

Is 12 ounces of mushrooms enough? Seems small.

Put it this way, when I make mushrooms for everyone, I make several pounds, because they cook down to nothing.

(Marianne) #13

Okay, another idea. Once you have your broth base, take some warmed cream cheese and dilute it with a little heavy cream until it is loose, then add some stock to dilute the cream cheese mixture until you can add the whole thing to your broth. Cream cheese is a better thickener than heavy cream.

Many mushrooms do that but others donā€™t or not that much.
I picked and ate zillion different mushrooms in the last years and they are quite different regarding this.
And small amount may work if someone eats the mushroom soup in small amounts or use a lot of other ingredients.
I havenā€™t weighed my mushrooms last time but it was quite little (itā€™s a small mushroom and I didnā€™t find much and I didnā€™t want to open a jar) so we used various vegetables and because that wasnā€™t so very much either, poached eggs in the soup. It was enough for multiple meals for two. But cream is nice too.

I always use water as a base.