Anyone go through some tough weeks? Need tips

(Chris) #1

Keto has been going great for 2 months then 2 weeks ago I carbed up and I. Having a rough time kf it. I feel like I’m not in keto (ketones are anywhere between .3-.8) throughout the day. But I feel tired like to the point of sleeping. Bloated, brain isnt sharp, hunger constantly and sugar cravings. It’s getting to the point that I’m ready to just eat carbs for the weekend then start all over again. Anyone else had random tough weeks? The hunger is what is getting me the most I’m constantly hungry and craving foods. And I havent changed anything I eat high fat moderate protein and under 20g total carb.

(Bob M) #2

I usually just eat and eat and eat low carb/keto until those cravings go away.

If you’re able, try doing some intense exercise to get that glucose back out of your liver and into your muscles. As a temporary remedy for feeling fuzzy and tired, some MCT or coconut oil will boost your ketone levels and make you feel better mentally.

(Alex ) #4

@05147ae533bd743d8b98

Been there many a time Chris, I think sometimes just the restriction of something makes you want it so much more, and throw in the usual “eating makes you feel better” psychologies too, it’s easily done, falling off your wagon.

It’s as potent an addiction as cigarettes and alcohol for sure when you’re in that mood, sometimes you just have to grin and bear it and remember why you’re doing what you’re doing.

I feel for ya. Haven’t carbed up terribly bad since I’ve been on Keto (end of March). Had one instance during a birthday though…horrible belly ache, migraine…yuck

I agree with @carolT…intense workout to start off.

To help solve sugar cravings, and they can be wicked, eat something ridiculously salty. Totally screws with your taste buds. Something like dill pickles, green olives, dill pickle juice, even a pinch of salt on your tongue. I’ve done this before, and it works wonderfully well. Plus, salt is a good thing for keeping electrolytes balanced.

And, that could be another issue affecting your tiredness. Electrolyte imbalance. Dr. Berry and his wonderful wifey did a Youtube video on making Keto-ade. I make this stuff almost every day, and chug it. When I don’t have, I feel “off”. Here’s the recipe, if you’re game for trying something new:
1/2 tsp salt - pink, sea- whatever
1/2 tsp No-salt (potassium chloride)
1 ounce ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) with the “Mother”
few drops liquid stevia
essential oil - whatever flavor you like- just a drop - or whatever appeals to your taste buds.
and
Fizzy water…like LaCroix, Perrier…
Mix, pour over ice. Keep chilled. Enjoy.

HTH.

(Chris) #6

Could there still be excess glucose in my liver after 2 full weeks below 20g of carbs?

(Chris) #7

Ya it’s just odd cuz when I first when on this 2 months ago I only had the cravings for 1 week. Now it’s been 2 months and I cheated 1 day and now they last 2 weeks? Really odd. It maybe placebo effect just wore off haha

(Alex ) #8

Yeah, the mind and body has a million tricks up its sleeve to make us give it what it thinks it wants!

(Chris) #9

Ya I’ve decided to fast till tomorrow. Maybe that will kick my ketones up. Never had above 1 mmol of ketones

You’re right. It should be flushed out after 2 weeks back on the wagon. So, you’re eating basically the same as you were before the carb-up but feeling worse? I’m an advocate of ketones in the brain making you feel better if the cravings are a sign of withdrawal.

(Alex ) #12

I find sleep / rest is a powerful tool to kill a few hours of eating time!

Also drinking a f@ck load of carbonated water with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of lemon juice fills the stomach and can curb carb pangs!

(Alex ) #13

…and

Submerge yourself in You Tube and do a few searches online for related information, if you can kill some time by hearing other stories of success and / or failings, that could help.

(Chris) #14

Yes so I’ve never had high ketones the highest I’ve ever read is 1.3 and that’s after not eating and MCT oil. In always in the .3-.8 range and honestly in the 2 months keto I’ve never felt the whole insane energy snd focused mind. Not sure if my ketone production is just limited or if I’m feeling these things but maybe not at the level I expected? But ya I eat bacon eggs and green veggies cooked in oil and butter. Then mct oil coffee sometimes mct pil coffee and protein powder. Then supper is animal meat of some sort and green veggies. Nothing else. On weekends I’ll have rum and diet Pepsi.
And this week literally falling asleep all day no energy no motivation. Hungry constantly like never nkt hungry and fat doesnt satisfy me. Like I’ll eat my meal at 930am then have intense hunger snd cravings for ice caps or burgers etc. All day long. Havent had this for the last two months it’s very odd.

I’d recommend a big ol’ ribeye or three, then if you’re still hungry after that I have no idea. :woman_shrugging:

Strict attention to sleep cyles might help turn it around too. I know if I nap when I feel tired, it screws me up for sleeping all night. Then I get up early, get tired early… repeat.

(4e82945357be9ba37151) #17

So true, I did this last night while fasting…binge watched some Megan Ramos videos on YouTube.

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #18
  1. Don’t beat yourself up!

Take some time to reset your head and goals and why you are doing whatever it is you want to accomplish in the first place.

2 months in straight is a wonderful accomplishment.

I too am a YouTube junkie for new and fresh inspiration.

(PSackmann) #19

I don’t measure my ketones, but it sounds like your body wants more fat and/or protein. I do have touch weeks, when I feel very nibbly I purposely add in snacks that are high fat and protein. Our bodies need to know that we are listening, which sometimes means eating more than we think we should.

(Alex ) #20

good choice! she’s on point, and not too shabby to look at either! nice side effect.

(Patrick L Anderson) #21

Try upping your salt intake. You may be surprised at how effective it can be to kick back hunger pangs.