Anyone getting brutalized by the heat?

(Bob M) #1

After my last two jogs (3.3 miles, about 5k), I sweat so much that my blood pressure was around 100/63, which is low for me. So low that I was getting dizzy while standing after the jog. And that’s AFTER taking a small drink of olive brine both before and after the run. (I’m normally around 110/70.)

Anyone else having this issue?

(Edith) #2

Do you bring water with you on the run? If so, you might want to use salted water while you are running.

I’ve been going running either in the morning around 5:30 AM or later around 8:30 PM. The early morning run is much more pleasant. I love being out early when the sun is just coming up, and barely anyone else is out walking or driving past in their cars. The air is moist, smells fresh, and the birds are chirping. Did I say I love running early in the morning?

Where I live, it is still pretty darn hot even at 8:30 PM and there are way more people out then. I also find I can stay in my heartrate zones longer when it’s cooler. This week has been crazy so I have been running in the evenings.

I don’t know how much salt is in olive brine, maybe not as much as you think? I will toss down about 1/4 teaspoon of salt before I run and another 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon after the run.

(Bob M) #3

Have you ever read this book?

His argument is that we don’t need to drink water at all for most runs.

Now, I think the book needs updating for us low carb folk, because I think some of us actually do need salt.

I am a “sweater”, as I sweat even inside while doing body weight training. I’ll see if I can remember to take a picture of myself after a jog. I’m drenched.

But I feel fine during the run. It’s just afterwards when it hits me.

I ran this morning shortly after 6am. I don’t know how much salt is in olive brine, but it’s pretty much the saltiest thing I know of. Even pickle juice isn’t as salty (which is why I prefer the olive juice when I have it).

I may have to consider either larger gulps of olive brine or adding salt.

I’m taking next week off, and it’s supposed to be 10-15 degrees cooler in the morning next week. As long as there’s no other heat wave, it should get a lot cooler. I’ll see what happens then.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Given that Dr. Noakes was the expert who started the whole “hydrate early and often” movement for runners, his second thoughts are well worth paying attention to. To his credit, he started warning about overhydration just before it started becoming a serious problem among marathoners. Unfortunately his warnings did not come soon enough to keep people from ending up hospitalised (and in a few cases, dead) from disrupted electrolytes. His current advice is “drink to thirst.”

From an evolutionary perspective, it is highly unlikely that our ancestors had any way to carry water while out pursuing game, so it makes sense that the body would be able to go for some time without water. And given that game is often found near water holes, there would have been opportunities to break off the chase and drink, if it became necessary.

I have read, in numerous places, the assertion that if one feels any thirst at all, one is dangerously dehydrated. That notion makes no sense whatsoever, and should be violently rejected. I suspect it was devised in the marketing department of some manufacturing company that sells sports drinks.

My brain is melting all the time. I brave a little walk nearly every day because I NEED them but running… Maybe in September. I don’t wake up early enough and I just don’t do exercise late, with the mosquitoes. Okay, maybe 8pm would be good (still too warm but better and I run TINY distances) but I am reluctant to do such activity not well-fasted. But maybe I try to do it tomorrow…

I don’t sweat much but dizziness is either sodium or lack of food for me. You may need more electrolytes.

In summer if it’s a long one? Won’t happen without my water bottle! I am a thirsty type. I don’t think it’s nice to run with full with water but some sips when it gets to be bothersome? Of course I would drink!
And if someone needs salt, it’s probably a very bad idea to forgo water… If it’s possible at all.

So where I am I get out early (6am) to beat the real bad heat…mid 70’s by 6…rule for me is if it’s a long run(1 1/2hr in the summer months…2+ hrs in the fall and spring) I have some type of fluid…a half bottle w/electrolytes. Been dehydrated too many times and I’m a heavy salt sweater…I cut my training down during the summer months because of the taxing it does on the body…5k training only for me…long runs are the hardest on me so they are the first to get shortened.
Hope this is helpful:)

(Alec) #7

Bob
Bloody freezing over here in Aus… I would kill for a bit of warmth! :joy::joy::joy:

No doubt in 6 months time the roles will be reversed!

I sweat a lot when it is hot as well… my advice is make sure you have lots of salt regularly. Be well salted up before running.
Cheers
Alec

(Edith) #8

I was reading something years ago about the theory that our bodies are adapted to running long distances so we could endurance hunt - keep running after and tracking down an animal until it gets too hot and has to stop.

The person who had written the article had gone to Africa and went on a hunt with a group of men who hunted (antelope or something similar) in this way. I don’t remember how many miles it took, but it was a least half marathon distance. The hunters did not have water with them. The poor guy who wrote the article almost died from dehydration and had to be helped back to the village.

I believe our bodies are very adaptable. The hunters grew up in their environment and their bodies over their lifetimes adapted to the water usage available to them. The poor guy who joined them on the hunt was not adapted to that environment.

So yeah, I could possibly train my body not to drink when I go for jogs, but I’m not going to. One reason being is that I am in air conditioning all day. I am not used to the heat. I have a feeling those men who chased down their prey were not sitting on their butts in an airconditioned office all day. My body is just not adapted to the summer heat.

With that being said, I actually don’t drink that much when I run. I mostly use the water to wet my mouth because it gets dry. I have found that if I hydrate myself before I run, with my added 1/4 teaspoon of salt, I don’t get as thirsty. I’m only drinking maybe 2 or 3 ounces for a 5K - 6K. I’m not jogging anything longer than that at the moment.

(Edith) #9

I heard you guys are having a colder than usual winter over there.

Meanwhile @KetoKoala told me it gets to get warmer and she will sooo miss winter…
And she doesn’t live in the warm parts - but they still don’t get frost.
And we both can’t stand hot weather. It’s how we were born, I never could adapt to what I disliked, be it living in an apartman or the hotness in summer.
Things get hotter again (as if it was fine this far… well the weekend was okay) so I used 30 minutes air conditioning today (I was cooking multiple things, the oven was on too and I did part of my workout… and anyway, the house get hotter every day lately). it’s a nice house with insulation and stuff, it doesn’t get super hot, at least the kitchen. My room with the southeast and southwest windows below the roof (and me and the computer) is significantly hotter, it’s quite unpleasant. But I don’t have AC, only the downstairs but that part rarely needs it. It’s like that because we use it mostly for heating so it being downstairs makes perfect sense.

When I am outside in the hottest hours, I pour water on my arms, that’s nice :slight_smile:

Freezing and wet on the east coast.

(David Cooke) #12

I go out at 5am to avoid the almost constant heat here in the tropics. One thing I did learn, as far as I am concerned, is that I can go 10 K without drinking, and (second thing) that heat + humidity slows you down, I don’t try for a PB on bad days. Some guys record PB’s for the tropics and PB’s for Europe.