Anyone ever experience vision issues right after eating?

(James) #1

For the second time that I can ever remember. Today after breaking fast, my vision gets little bright fuzzy lines and blips in it. Then after about half an hour, it goes away. Anyone else experience this?

(Jeanne Wagner) #2

When is the last time you had an eye exam? There may be something going on. I know I had been seeing an eye doctor then they left the place. I saw another eye doctor and he told me I had cataracts and a tiny diabetic retinopathy spot on my eyes, which the other doctor never mentioned. At all. And it had been going on for several years. BTW, the retinopathy spot went away after a recheck several weeks later. I believe it was already on the mend via keto and fasting (autophagy perhaps).

And maybe it could be blood pressure related, perhaps a temporary spike in bp after eating.

It’s really hard to say, just some ideas.

('Jackie P') #3

Not particularly when breaking a fast, but what you describe is like a migraine aura. I used to get regular migraines, but often had just the aura and vision disturances if I was dehydrated. Funnily enough I haven’t had a migraine since I started Keto.

(James) #4

Thank you for the reply. It has been a couple years since my last eye exam. If this persists, I’m going to make an eye appointment.

(James) #5

I had “childhood” migraines. Interesting enough, they went away with puberty which is was the doctors said would likely happen. Coincidence maybe… I haven’t had another one a severe as I did as a kid in probably fifteen years.

I was told around that time I needed to stay away from foods with nitrates. Funny thing, the first time this happened was two weeks ago when I ate almost a whole pack of lower quality deli chicken breast w/ nitrates. Today I had two chicken breasts from Wendy’s(failed to prep yesterday) with some avocado.
Right after I finished eating, the blurry little vision issue hit. It lasted about thirty minutes and went away. No headache though…

I’d agree with @CrackerJax that it sounds very much like a migraine aura. I didn’t get my first one until I was in my 30’s they are very rarely accompanied by a headache. Any number of things can bring them on for me - hormones, low blood sugar, dehydration, sudden changes in air pressure. It’s probably worth getting your eyes looked at anyway just to be sure.

(Jeanne Wagner) #7

That is interesting. Not all migraines are actually painful, but I think that is very rare. I listened to a podcast that just recently about someone who has epilepsy with non-pain aura migraines. After adapting a high fat ketogenic diet their seizures disappeared (and the non-pain aura migraines too).

(Not a cow) #8

Are you speaking of floaters ?

“Floaters and flashes are usually harmless, but occasionally, they indicate a retinal tear”

I was sitting at my desk one day when all of a sudden my eye was filled with floaters, so much so that I could barely see through them in my one eye. I went to the hospital, and they took me into the eye clinic immediately. They discovered that I had a retina tear, and laser’d it up before the day was over. They kept asking me if I had been seeing flashes beforehand but I never did. Apparently this happens quite often to people as they get older, and my floaters have improved now, but that eye is still a little foggy. ( I’m hoping keto helps this over time )

If you are talking about floaters then you should get your eyes checked out, but if not, never mind.

(traci simpson) #9

Sometimes, I get weird things in my peripheral, I think what people call floaters, however it’s as if they at taking over my eyes from the sides moving over to almost the entire eyes. Usually right before I get a bad migraine.

(Paul H) #10

Don’t wait for the appointment… If you are Diabetic tell them so and if you’re not sure get checked by your Dr prior to the visit. You need to be sure about your vision health James. :slightly_smiling_face:

If it’s got a sort of kaleidoscope thing going on & it happens right before a migraine then I’m betting it’s actually a migraine aura.

(traci simpson) #12

YES!!!
You nailed it.

Sometimes ingesting a good bit of salt at the first sign can stop it in it’s tracks - might we worth trying next time. I don’t often get the headache but I can feel really wiped/spaced out after an aura.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

For me, migraine auras are a sign that I haven’t been getting enough salt. I find that I can stop an aura in its tracks by eating a small quantity of salt.

(James) #15

This is exactly how I would describe what’s happening to me.

(Bunny) #16

Some interesting videos with people experiencing improved vision with fasting?

Could be what your experiencing is a transitioning process?

My visioned improved 5 fold!

Jeffrey Duvall: Why do a Vision Fast?

improving eyesight / eye vision with water fasting!

Fasting and Vision: Healing Your Eyes by Cleansing Your Body

Fix Floaters in the Eyes

Thank you for posting this information! I much appreciate it.
Just yesterday I went for an eye exam. I haven’t had one for years, and he said there is evidence in my left eye that I may develop macular degeneration. Ugh. Anyway, the first thing I thought of was fasting for healing.

Sounds like it is most likely acephalgic migraine.

“a” = without
“ceph” = head
“algia” = pain
Therefore … “wiithout the head pain” i.e., a migraine visual aura that is not followed by a migraine headache.