Anybody interested in “Healthy Social KetoDiet Breaks” and hopefully finding something good in this?

Great site ! Pleased to meet you all !

I can do real great on an easy 16:8 Intermittant Fasting routine, w MCT Coffee in the morning, then first food around 1 or 2 pm then no more eats after 9 or 10 pm. Don’t actually need the MCT do this but like the way it feels.

BMI 22-23 so “ normal” weight and healthy. Hub and I in our 60s and we lap swim daily and hike a lot. Eg Yosemite etc. We’re both into organic vegie-fish non toxic eating for the most part although also like our IPAs. And eat out a lot socially in spite of knowing we want less of that and more at home - that’ll happen soon

SO… re Keto - I decided 2 weeks ago to drop BMI 23 on down to BMI 20 just cuz I want to and have felt great that way. Have used this MCT IF routine plus just 20 net carb gms per day, plenty healthy fat and so far great. Dropped 5 lbs in just 2 weeks. Great stuff ! 10 more to go :grinning::grinning::grinning:From normal weight start point I’ve not been able to drop in any way before.

Now, I’m on a 5 day “Keto break” because my daughter’s in town w her guy and we are all real foodies. All 4 of us in good shape and healthy but we love to both cook and eat out together. After 5 days of this, I feel like I’ll be able to go right back to my Keto 16:8 routine, hoping so.

My question to you all is this - for special family and other social times, have you been able to add back carbs in a healthy way and then use keto to drop any pounds gained and re-orient yourself to prior keto living ?

Seems that once at goal fm too much weight, this ought to be routinely possible. And also a possible benefit to overall lifestyle to include some social aspects of food ingestion (can’t see this as all bad !)

Whaddyathink?

Thanks !
A

(Chris) #2

After a few months of being fully adapted to burning fat, maybe. But not so soon after starting.

(Damon Chance) #3

Is say it also has a lot to do with how messed up your metabolism is and your relationship with food in general.

I know for me I’d rather not put myself through that and would find alternative dishes to cook and enjoy. Someone with a healthy insulin sensitivity should be able to go in and out with some ease after adaptation.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #4

My take on this is probably different than most. I decided to eat KETO for a reason. That reason was so that I wouldn’t have some of the hereditary health problems that most of my family members seem to succumb to. So, for me…There is no breaks. I am adapting this way of eating for a reason and anything else just seems counter intuitive. Now with that said, you and others my have different goals than I do. This is just my take on life for me.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #5

I don’t know the science of cheat days, but isn’t is a danger to overload your system with carbs/sugar and then strip it away again? Repeatedly? Similar to eating disorders like anxieties ir bulimia where you binge / starve? Would be good to know how the science works.

(VLC.MD) #6

Cheating is cheating (yourself out of good results).

sounds like a real good question there. I guess some of this might be discernable by how we’re feeling physically and mentally/emotionally as well as more objective measures - weight and body tone etc.

(Karen Parrott) #8

Since I’m a food addict in recovery, I need to stay food sober 24/7/365.

My disease of food addiction loves your idea of going on and off Keto The rational part of my brain knows that I would use that opportunity to get food high and that takes me to a really bad place

So that’s what I think. I have taught the people closest to me that my life depends on staying food sober and they all have been supportive after a bit of time to adjust.

Onward. I found that Keto is a great tool for food sobriety.

(VLC.MD) #9

Genius term.

heh.

http://www.foodsober.com/

Warning: Mr. FoodSober isn’t a Keto guy.
< insert > joke about “No wonder he’s a Food Addict … look at his diet” < /insert >

(Karen Parrott) #10

I saw that… oh boy. Cookie recipe and vegan carrot cake. Sigh. Could not pay me to go back. Food addiction is a life and brain robbing disese.

I spy with my eyes lots of folks ( not referring to the person who posted) who go right back into the cycle even on Keto. Tough disease. It wants to come back but talking about it keeps me in check.

I still find myself food seeking, but I’m able to catch the pattern. If I went on my walk today and spent the walk contemplating going on and off Keto/ LCHF then I’ll phone a friend.

I know some people who cycle off because they travel to Italy or Europe and are totally fine. If I would I could.

(Liz ) #11

I always appreciate your posts, just want to say. I need to stay food sober too, it’s a lifelong thing. I’ve no flexibility & I’m pretty much ok with that. I know what happens if I push my boundaries & it is not self care.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences!

Hi Karen -
I totally get that and appreciate your terming it like the addiction this is for so many people. There is more and more work being done on addiction. Sure sounds like you’re on the right path and strong on that ! Congratulations !

Best

Ah-tee

(Inese) #13

It’s really hard to say if one can cheat on keto. Some things to consider :slight_smile:

1. you better be fat adapted before you try;
  2. if metabolic disease is in play, cheating can be harmful ;
  3. you may not bounce back to keto successfully,
    If you have obsessive relationship with food ;
  4. sometimes small holidays can become year long holiday ;
  5. are you excessively critical to yourself, and prone to play blame game?

(VLC.MD) #14

Do what you like !

Great ideas here, thanks !

I’m just working out how this forum works - hoping this will show as a reply to you, SPIRIT_HUNTER (!)
I am seeing this, for sure as I participate on this forum and on the Carb Manager forum. So many super strong and wonderful people have used this keto and LCHF idea as well as its forums to recognize their own food and carb addiction---- something laid upon them in childhood but with all the problems of addiction every type of it. (and so rightfully celebrate this recognition!!).

I do agree with the idea that most folks w addictions of any kind do need to stay way of anything like the addictant.
I don’t have this but can see it in my youth (oh, coming home from school w nobody at home and downing a carton of icecream stuff like that!)

Your #1 - I’m not yet sure what being 'fat adapted" really is. Spilling ketones ? I do in the afternoons but not in the morning even after a reasonable if not fully ketogenic dinner. I’m slowly steadily dropping weight but do seem to be at a plateau or stall a 4-5 pounds down from starting weight. Trying to fix that by strict keto diet now.

Your #2 - The metabolic aspect – I’m working with that now. Numbers are better than excellent on yearly checks but I’ve clearly not been able to drop from BMI 23 down to 20 or even just to 21 or 22 with energy/energy out i.e., calorie restriction/ excercise — and now with keto - bingo ! That seems to speak to my own particular metabolism.

Your #s 3 and 4 - cognitive behavioural rela w food — I think I’m OK with that or pretty much OK at least. At this point, I’m 4 days post my social eating week w daughter, sticking to keto diet all day then dinner w husb and pretty much under 23gm total net carbs - my LCHF limit per Carb Manager calculations. No cravings etc during the day but do sip on husb’s beer at night (more than I think i sip? maybe so!). Pretty much fish and small amts vegies for dinners. Weight dropped back down to initial YAY level with keto but no further. Keto 0 in the am, rise to TR or Small (1.5) by afternoon after just drinking bulletproof coffee and then bullet proof tea. So behaviorally I’m pretty much OK - maybe I should test this by going through dinners on strict keto or stricter LCHF for a few days. The Behavioral Test ! Thanks for listening to this.

and Your #5 – Naahhhh !!! I don’t think so : )

Thanks for conversation here, I’ll look for more ! How are you doing on these points, if you would like to share ?
All best to you and on your journey !

Ati

Hi there, Dread ! interesting name ha ha !

Thanks for your response - would you kindly tell me your opinion of being fully adapted to burning fat ? How do you identify that state ?

What I am gathering is that being “fat adapted” or as you say “fully adapted to burning fat” will show these things:

1. Keto positive urine Keto testing – all the time or just once a day? (I’m positive in the pms not in the ams) – does how positive matter ? (I’ve heard both that stronger positive is better than trace or weakly positive AND that any keto’s keto and the same)

2. Steady drop in weight as long as still having extra fat to burn. Maybe about a pound a week would count for this.

3. Feeling good - no “keto flu” or other symptoms related to newly altered metabolism.

Would you agree to these points as being essential and necessary to calling oneself “fully adapted to burning fat”?

THANKS !

Ati

Also, on the issue of becoming fully adapted to burning fat - what do you think about taking in keto salts ?

I’ve heard that it’s good for symptoms related to starting on a keto diet, helps these.

I’ve heard some people say taking keto salts actually kicks off the metabolic shift.

My sense it that it might be good to take these symptomatically to get over difficult symptoms at the beginning of this diet if helpful.

I don’t think I’d want to show keto + because I’m taking keto salts - somehow THAT seems like cheating ha ha.
At the same time if taking keto salts would truly help this process, I might consider. Not one to take stuff anyhow although I am drinking bullet proof coffee every day (added MCT).

I’ve heard all kinds of things about keto salts being good for folks in other ways - needs more research to say it’s actually better for memory etc or has a positive effect. But this is a different question, isn’t it.

Thanks ! I’m sure enjoying this forum with folks like you on it

(Chris) #18

Ketones stop dumping into the urine when the body realizes it can use them, so the results will taper off on those (kind of a waste of money if not diabetic).

Usually if you’ve kept strict for 3 months with keto eating you are full of energy and just feeling great overall. That’s kind of your marker for being adapted to burning fat vs burning glucose for energy.

Hope that answers all 3!

And for the questions about ketone salts…exogenous ketones? Don’t bother unless you’re a competing athlete, it’s a waste of money otherwise…they should not be used as an exuse for poor eating, that is forming a very dangerous habit. As far as keto flu, you can use regular salt and potassium for that.

(Richard Hanson) #19

Historically, large segments of the worlds population lived healthy while eating some carbs, but not sugars or highly processed carbs, and commonly at a lower caloric intake. Other peoples have, and still do, eat a diet that was almost exclusively derived from animals. The human body is rather adaptable and a healthy person can likely consume modest amounts of carbohydrates, “healthy” carbs, without great risk.

Personally, I am not on a keto diet, my habitual diet, for life, is keto. There are no breaks, no starts or stops, no holidays, and my only exit will be when I expire. If the Inuit can live a great many generations on a ketogenic diet, complacently devoid of all of the diseases of western civilization, then that is a non toxic, sustainable and healthy diet.

Richard

Yes this does seem a most excellent marker for doing the right things with our bodies, minds and full existance. Thanks, Dread !

Yes I’m heading towards this philosophy as well. I’m aiming to drop the next 10 pounds through strict keto - then I want to see just what the right food intake will be for me - It’s really always been healthy (organic vegie fish limited whole grain non external toxic etc). Might be I can learn to stick just the right amount of healthy carbs at any given time period - and understand this from the way I’m feeling. Carbs are certainly nice for social eating, also I do love to cook organic vegie meals plus fish of course.

First thing will be this pure keto effort. Next the lifestyle change that’s based on this but teaches me how to see what’s right for me personally diet wise at given times.

THANKS for all your input. This is such a big part of all of this. Bless you all !

Ati