Any benefit to MCT after IF adaptation?

Hey guys – I have a question about the benefit of MCT Oil when fasting.

After eating Keto for the previous year, I’ve been eating OMAD and occasionally 2MAD for about a year and loving it. My food choices are Paleo / Keto oriented with the occasional ice cream binge.

I just looked in my cupboard and realized I have a ton of MCT Oils and powders that I haven’t touched in a year. I used to have fatty coffee in the morning to stifle hunger, but now I don’t need to and don’t consume calories until dinner (I even save my gel cap supplements until then). I recall that MCT gave me mental energy, but I now get that from fasting.

I feel like I’m forgetting something - is there any benefit of MCT oil to someone who is adapted to IF?

(Scott) #2

I have no idea but I put a tablespoon in my first cup of coffee just for the fun of it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

My rule of thumb for everything is: if I haven’t used it for a year, why do I have it lying around taking up space?

I use MCT oil and powder in a number of concoctions. It’s coconut, after all. :heart_eyes:

I’m also going to try making mayo with it.

Agreed! I’m getting ready to dump it. I anyone lives near Long Beach, CA it’s yours for the price of a beer you buy me at the pub we meet at!

(Susan) #5

Maybe make a post saying giving it free and someone on the forum living there will see it and get it =).

(Bob M) #6

MCT oil does seem to get my ketones up…when I can take it. MCT oil and I don’t get along, unfortunately. I have two bottles someone can have, too.

(Susan) #7

Maybe there should be a thread of free MCT/coconut oil products and locations for meet ups! haha.

(Bob M) #8

The sad thing is that I’ve tried to take MCT oil three times…and failed each time. I have been able to take powdered MCT oil, but it has its own set of issues.

Right? I almost posted “Long Beach MCT Oil Party”, but figured I’d be kicked off the forum!

(Susan) #10

Hehe =).

(Allie) #11

I don’t notice any difference whether I have it or not, over four years keto now.

(Bob M) #12

This is the same for your house: If you’ve had it for over a year and haven’t used it, considering getting rid of it or donating it.

There are studies indicating MCT oils help, especially with weight loss. See this, for instance, with a slight (3 pound) benefit to MCT oil over 16 weeks:

Not low carb, though.

Further, I saw someone reference a study on Twitter where MCT oils lead to gut permeability. I could not subsequently find the study, though (a detriment to Twitter: you should find the study immediately, else that tweet is lost to the Twittersphere).

To me, everything has benefits and detriments. If I thought the benefits of MCT oil (assuming I could determine, say, additional weight loss above whatever it is I would normally have without the MCT oil) outweighed (ha!) the detriments, then I would take it.

Alas, I cannot take MCT oil.

Having said that, in an effort to eat better for the family, my wife is making some recipes with MCT oil in them. I don’t think there are a lot of recipes with MCT oil, but there are some. I am interested to see what happens to me with those.

(Alex ) #13

@Daves_Not_Here - same

I think the hyped up marketing for MCT oil MASSIVELY outweighs the actual real life benefits of it. Despite this, I keep buying it every now and again because I do love the taste and texture of my home made Bulletproof Coffee and feel it adds a shot in the arm to my fat consumption targets!

However, there’s plenty of MCT in standard Virgin Coconut Oil, which costs about 10% what MCT Oil does, same calorie hit pretty much, and tastes just as good, if not better with coffee.

MCT Oil is also pretty harsh on the stomach if you have it on an empty stomach I find…

I remember that you were already fully keto adapted right as I got started, so this says a lot. I think it helped me in the beginning to transition from being a default glucose burner, but now that I’m acclimated, I get less out of it.

I recall that I used to take it for an energy boost (something about MCT crossing the blood brain barrier) to offset no-carb fatigue, but its no longer a problem. And with IF, it seems like I don’t need as much fat as before.

(Alex ) #15

…just to add to the “giving away” vibe - I’m not ready to donate my MCT Oil and Coconut Oil to any charities just yet, but I do have some spinach and lettuce in the salad drawer of the fridge which is almost out of date if anyone wants it? :slight_smile:

(Scott) #16

I figure that a tablespoon a day out of a jug is not a significant drain on my budget.

(Coco Flores) #17

so funny, I just used it to make mayo the other day and I was a bit skeptical on how it was going to taste… AMAZING. I loved it!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #18

@PaulL
How about having a Keto Swap thread? For trading/giving away keto stuff that people have lying around?

(Susan) #19

Nice idea =). I guess the only annoying bit is the cost of shipping it to people.