Anti depressants and keto

(Miss E) #1

The disclaimer here is that I understand any oponion is just that, and anecdotal. I have been on anti depressants for 3 years, since my father passed away. Whilst my grief was the primary reason for them, shortly after that I had a long overdue adhd diagnosis and surprisingly that discover and the rollercoaster since did nothing to improve my depression.

What scares me about depression, especially when mixed with co morbid conditions, is so unpredictable so whilst there can be good days or weeks, it constantly feels like you can’t be too sure and are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The reason I’m posting this here is because I have glimmers within keto of feeling like I may not need my medication and I know many people who have done keto longer than me, eventually reduce or stop their medication. So my question is, how did you know it was the right time?

(Pete A) #2

Sorry you’ve had to deal with depression and the loss of your Dad. It sounds like the antidepressants have been helpful?

I went off my prescription medication for depression when I started Keto, but this is because they hadn’t worked for awhile anyway, and it made sense for me to try better health and lifestyle to help regulate it. Which it has. But as you said

This will probably always be the case with me, at least some of the time.

Good luck!

(Karl) #3

Lifelong major depression sufferer here - hospitalized for it once. Not on any meds currently.

I was diagnosed with my depression back when I was 15 years old (i’m 48 now). I have a love/hate relationship with psychiatrists, particularly the ones that are all about the meds and nothing else.

My opinion has evolved over the years about life in general. I think people have become spoiled to just how easy we have it, and that no level of discomfort is “ok” anymore. Diet plays into this in a way - I mean, I look at my kids, and it’s like the worst thing in the world to them is feeling any level of hunger whatsoever. If they’re hungry, they’re clamoring for food to stomp out that feeling. I think depression is largely similar in that when people feel depressed (which is a NATURAL EMOTION TO FEEL), they want to do everything in their power to stomp that out.

Well, these days I believe that it’s OK to be hungry from time to time. I also believe that it’s normal to be depressed - sometimes even deeply so, even to the point of some REALLY dark thoughts. I think it’s part of the human condition, and just like with diet - I think it’s important that people acknowledge to themselves that it’s normal to be in that dark place from time to time and figure out a way to cope with it rather than simply try to make it go away like aspirin to a headache.

The one thing that’s helped me in life with my depression was one I more recently discovered within the past few years. Walking. Sometimes really long distances. I don’t do it for calorie burning or anything like that, and it’s not really a “habit” - I don’t do it every day or all the time. I do it mainly to CLEAR MY HEAD or at least process things when I need to. For me, it’s been more effective than 300mg/day of Effexor XR or 200mg/day of Zoloft.

Keto isn’t something I would attribute to any improvement in my depression though. I have some VERY seriously challenging issues that came out of the past five years of my life - and so far, Walking is what’s helped me the most when I really need to straighten things out in my head. It doesn’t fix anything, but it helps me process it all in some form.

(Pete A) #4

Yes to the walking! I attribute that to saving my life…

(Karl) #5

And it’s cheap…

(Allie) #6

Lifelong depression here, almost, ever since I was seven and realised one day that I felt “heavy” - how else to explain that kind of feeling at such a young age? Doctors have given me various meds over the years, none of them were any good for me (Prozac was just plain evil!) and I’ve refused all meds for decades now to manage my own well-being with exercise, meditation, and diet management - self care is my priority.

@Lovethyself I hope you’re able to find what works best for you :sparkling_heart:

(Auden) #7

Yes to all of this. Keto especially helps my anxiety. I know sometimes people do carnivore (all animal products) for bipolar. I agree with everyone about walking - I walk 30 minutes every morning and it helps so much. I recently read and started The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and A Mind of Your Own by Dr. Brogan to help with the taper of my antidepressants. I’ve tried lots of pills over the years and they just don’t help long term. I’m using supplementing/keto/walking instead. Also, I completely agree with the person who posted that strong emotions are part of the “human condition”. I couldn’t feel down on the pills (yay!) but I also couldn’t feel empathy or happiness. Good luck! You are definitely on to something with keto. I think Georgia Ede wrote something for a psychology today article about the therapeutic benefits of keto? Could be helpful.

(Pete A) #8

Depression for me is a physical disease, binging and couch time, inactivity is how it manifests.

Eating healthy and being on my feet, and recognizing current limitations and challenging myself that the benefits of the right lifestyle will help me through each (moment) day.

Small steps, run the numbers, have hope.

(Renee Slaughter) #9

First of welcome and I’m so sorry for your loss.
I’m chiming in. Diagnosed bipolar with depressive episodes in 2002. However it probably started much earlier likely in my teens. ( Suicide attempt when my parents divorced). Been on plenty of meds in the early 2000’s. Did find a combo that worked very well for the last 3 years. Found keto Dec 2016 was doing very well on meds, walking( this was and still is key for me) and diet. I decided suddenly to decrease my Latuda just to see what would happen. I think I did this Dec/ Jan 2016/17. Results: 2 really low days in Feb. One in March. Really low for me is a lack of interest, fatique and really just sad. Next day just fine. I rested and walked on my low days as @icenine mentioned to clear my head. What’s the right time? I can’t say, I just experimented. On keto I feel awesome like I can accomplish my goals. I really like me. Not always before struggled with low self esteem. But 5 months into keto I’m awesome and feel it. Im still on Seroquel XR 150 mg. I’m afraid to let go. It helps me sleep.
But there it is that’s my story.

(Omar) #10

I think the elemination of the carbs helps reduce the anxiety and depression.

It is not what I eat. It is what I do not eat.

Just my personal observation.

(Pete A) #11

Body dysmorphia much? That weighted feeling is what I try and shake. By now it’s just a part of me. The exercise, mostly long “leg stretchers”, are a response to that.

I can’t say enough about the positive results.

(Allie) #12

Never had any sort of body dysmorphia @Pete_A although I did control / restrict my food a lot as a teenager, but never because I thought I was overweight, it was just the only thing I could control.

I struggle without exercise, and if I don’t get to walk outdoors first thing each morning, I feel the difference throughout the day.

(Kathy M) #13

I am very sorry for your loss - grief is powerful and frankly we don’t talk about it or deal with it very well in our society.

I have been treated for depression since my early 30s (57 now) and I believe I had my first major depressive episode in my teens. Much of my depression has been driven by loss.

I have recently started to taper my anti-depressants and am doing very well. Very low carb seems to be helping me manage myself more effectively. I also know that I could drop into that dark abyss at anytime - that’s just how it is for me.

Good discussion - thank you for kicking it off.
Kathy

(Pete A) #14

I aspire to a lightness of being so Keto on! :sunglasses:

(Miss E) #15

I don’t think she was referring to a size heaviness but more that internal heaviness you feel when your shadow is weighing you down.

(Miss E) #16

Thank you so much for the frank and thoughtful responses so far. I would like to respond to your points individually but my head is not organised enough to do so right now, but I shall shortly.

(Renee Slaughter) #17

She got me started about keto for mental health

Two parts to Amber’s story. Have a listen

(Pete A) #18

That’s what I’m referring to. :grinning:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

I’ve been on and off anti-depressants from time to time since being diagnosed. Some people only need a couple of years on an anti-depressant and then their bodies can carry on without the assist; others find that the need for assistance is permanent. I appear to be one of the latter people, but I have to say, I am doing just fine on half the dose that I was taking before I went keto.

(Hoteski) #20

I have borderline personality disorder and stopped all meds April last year in s gradual basis over 6 weeks. Got the brain zaps as lovely side effect . I knew it was time as I had felt strong enough to deal with life experiences and my life was stable at the time and has been for about a year. Started keto Dec 17 and rarely have bad days since. Keto keeps my mood stable so I’m better able to deal with life.
Struggled with bpd since age 11 or so and been feeling better for longer and stronger since keto. I’m 38.
My doctor felt this time of year is a good time of year to stop due to brighter days. Walking/excersize really helps also. Staying away from energy drinks also a must as they might make you feel good for a short time but I noticed that after a few hours I’ll feel horrible . Need to cut out diet coke and I will. But not quite ready for that one