Another....which one thread!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #1

I’ve been searching for my answer to no avail.

Does anyone have a sous vide that is not the Anova brand? Is the extra money that an Anova cost worth the difference?

(Garry (Canada)) #2

Wait a few more weeks… You may get a good deal on the Anova as Mother’s day approaches.
For the amount of meat you eat…there’s no other option than Anova unless you’re planning on making a hot tub in the back of your pick up truck?

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

:sunglasses:

(Brian) #4

I got the cheap one from Walmart, about half the cost of the Anova. It works fine. I’ve not had any issues with it at all except right out of the box, I had to tighten the screw that holds the impeller on.

I have never felt like I needed options like delayed timers or bluetooth connectivity so was actually happy not to have those to cause me troubles when they quit working.

No matter what brand or model you ultimately choose, someone will love it and someone will hate it, as the reviews will demonstrate. The industrial / laboratory models were way out of my price range for something I just wanted to try so I never even considered those. Maybe if I had more money than I knew what to do with…

Good luck!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

I have Joule. I love it.

I have a second generation Nomiku. I don’t use it that often.

(Sophie) #6

Which ever one you settle on, I think you will LOVE cooking with Sous Vide! It’s amazing, truly. I’ve had mine 2 weeks and so far I’ve done hamburgers, ribeyes, pork chops, lamb chops, a brisket, pork ribs, pasteurized eggs, canned dilly beans, canned Giardiniera, and mini egg custards and tonight it’s NY strip steaks! :heart_eyes: Can you tell I’ve been keeping notes on my cooks? :smile:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #7

@JustPeachy, I’ve been following your post and you are the one that has gotten me to start thinking about getting one. I have been wanting to start getting some thicker cuts of meat and figured that would be the best way to cook them

(Sophie) #8

Awwww, it’s an avalanche! It was some of @matt’s, @LeCheffre’s and @Ernest’s posts that got me going on it. I’ve really been amazed at the difference in quality. I’m not a slave to time/temperature anymore either. One thing I have to keep getting my head around is that the tray I take my meat outside to the grill is the same one I can put the seared whatever back on to take inside! I’ve always been so strict about cross contamination, it’s weird that this meat is already cooked completely through, and just needs a sear. Still working on that. :smile: And I’m excited about my NY Strips tonight too. Gonna see what 135F/3h does! :+1:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #9

I can’t wait to see them, even though I’m fasting till Tuesday evening. :nerd_face:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #10

Ok…confession time. I couldn’t take it anymore. I just had to order it. It will be here Tuesday.

Because of this thread, I also ordered one today. Different brand, very simple to use. To see what you all were talking about, I had rigged up a DIY one that worked OK but needed to be tended to keep the temp relatively constant. But I liked how the meats came out, and being easily influenced, just ordered one.

Besides, I just got a ribeye roast (now cut into thick steaks) that is not the most tender, so anything to help make it more pleasing will be welcome.

I’m also looking forward to cooking some nice fatty pork.

(Sophie) #12

Oh Yayyyy! You’re gonna love it! Same for you too @Alexia! I’m thrilled for both of you! :clap:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

The Edes apparently sell one, but I’m not sure how you would go about ordering it. You could try www.proteinpower.com to see if you can order it there. I only know that they sell one, because there’s a blog post by Dr. Michael that mentions how they’ve turned the business over to their son so that they could get back into treating patients again.

(Brian) #14

Regardless of which one you end up getting, the time thing does tend to be pretty lengthy with some cuts of meat. I had a shoulder roast in there for 30 hours about a week ago. It was more tender than it could have been but was still not quite fork tender. I’m debating about whether 48 hours for a cut like that may be in my future attempts.

Guess that means I might be needing a second one… LOL!!

:smiley:

(Sophie) #15

This is my learning curve. Info on times/temps out there seems to vary widely with lots of YMMV, which makes me feel like I’m stabbing in the dark most of the time. I guess it helps to have a good idea of how long it takes to cook certain cuts of meat in the usual ways, i.e. grilling, baking, pressure cooking, boiling, etc. and then use some judgement but I still question if I’m making the correct guess with the SV. I just hate wrecking a piece of meat because I cooked it too lo/high or too long/not long enough. I’ve been taking notes on all my SV cooks to help me remember what I liked and didn’t and ideas about what to tweak the next time. It’s like Keto in a sense…it’s a Journey! :blush:

(Brian) #16

I know most of the SV webpages talk about how terrible it is to overcook a piece of meat. I’ve been tempted to try to purposefully overcook a few pieces just to see for myself what happens. I might actually like it.

I tend to like my food way more we’ll done than many. I like my meat tender enough that I have little use for a knife. I like my broccoli, carrots and asparagus soft enough that there is no crunch at all. I despised al dente pasta when I ate it. Maybe that affects my perception of what “tender” or even “overcooked” meat is.

Someone else may think nearly the opposite, and they wouldn’t be wrong. Crispy, crunchy and firm seem to be popular buzz words associated with fine dining.

(CharleyD) #17

@Bellyman I think the concept of underdone being best is due to how much we now know that vitamins and other delicate nutrients in both meat and veggies becoming degraded and otherwise rendered not-as-bio-available from too much heat.

It just so happens to line up with my preference for rare meat, but I know where you’re coming from, as both my mom and wife need their meat charred. Nevermind my protests against heterocyclic amines and whatnot…

(Brian) #18

I get where you’re coming from Charley. Thing is, I don’t like things burned / charred either. So it’s not necessarily about high heat for me. It’s more about getting a soft texture. Low n slow seems an option although I don’t know if that still whacks the nutrients.

(CharleyD) #19

I do low&slow on cast iron for my own steaks. But we’re all gas range and infrared grill outside at my home so it’s a difference of magnitude really hah.

(Raj Seth) #20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GRRWCY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
When I bought it a year ago, it was $50, shipped. It now comes in at $109 I guess sous vide is catching on!