Another....which one thread!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #21

The Eades (not to be confused with Georgia Ede). Their product is the Sous Vide Supreme. I loved mine. It was my first and I got into it because Dr. Mike was talking it up in his blog. I have since parted with it because I like immersion circulators better, due to versatility, but I loved the simplicity of the SVS.

(Missy) #22

You’re so lucky you get yours delivered so fast. My sous vider arrives tomorrow and I’ve been waiting for a week!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #23

Sorry for the potatoes in the back. The protein is a boneless chuck short rib, done 72h at 133, then seared on four sides. I may have made a red wine reduction with the filtered juice from the bag. I forget.

The more connective tissue you have in a meat, the longer you will want to go. Shanks, ribs, tough cuts that you’d braise all want 24-72 hours.

(Sophie) #24

Q…did you eat those potatoes? Only askin 'cos they look like friggin awesome hash browns…don’t ask me how I know. :roll_eyes:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

ChefSteps Rösti. They were amazing. I don’t think you can get cauliflower to there :cry:

(Raj Seth) #26

Makes them Medium to Medium well is what it does. I like mine Rare/Black&Blue/Pittsburgh. That is a finished temperature of 125. So, I sous-vide them to 110, 2 hours or more, then I finish them on a blazing hot grill or cast iron skillet The sear process brings the meat up to the final temperature.

(Sophie) #27

Yeah, I consider mine turned out a middle medium, which is a little too done for me. I prefer med-rare. Next time I’m thinking of about 130f/3h. just for a comparison.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #28

@JustPeachy…I just can’t get over how wonderful that piece of meat looks!

(Raj Seth) #29

medium rare is normally 130ish. If you sous vide it to 130, the finishing sear will overcook it. I would suggest sous-vide to 10-15 dF lower than your desired final temperature.

(Raj Seth) #30

Will you just pipe down please - I am approaching the end of day 1 of an extended fast… :grin:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #31

http://sousvideresources.com/2016/07/21/shock-treatment-is-safe/

Something to consider.

110 is not the world’s safest temperature. If I want it Black and Blue, 125, shock 10 minutes and sear very hot. Given what wee beasties might be on the surface of beef processed industrially or even the less harshly treated carcasses, I’d want to take it north of the salmonella kill temp.
http://sousvideresources.com/2016/07/25/food-safety-what-you-should-know/

(Brian) #32

How did the texture of it come out for you? I like the “pink level” of what you posted, that’s about right for me.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #33

A wise man once told me that time is tenderness and temperature is doneness. If you like that level of doneness, but want more tenderness, go longer.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #34

You can do it. Set your mind to it and conquer!!!

(Brian) #35

Yup, you’ve mentioned that before, and I appreciate your mentioning it again. It’s worthy of the repeat. Now, I just need some more real life experience with various meats and various cuts of meats to get a feel for what I like best.

:slight_smile:

Do I need a vacuum sealer and bags to go with a sous vide?
(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #36

Been doing it for about ten years now. Some things I still don’t do often enough to have a strong preference.

I can hardly wait to cook a tri-tip that slowly.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #38

Two different schools of thought on tri tips. Short cooks and 24 Hour cooks.

If any of you are new to Sous Vide, I highly recommend Douglas Baldwin’s site for safety and temperature advice.

(Sophie) #39

It was a little too firm for me. I think it could have been more tender and not so well done. I guess I like mine more towards the rare side, and these where thick steaks too.

(Brian) #40

Kinda sounds like next time, with the same cut of meat, a bit lower temperature and a longer cooking time should get you closer.

:slight_smile: