Another frustrated no weight loss newbie

I understand what you are saying but it goes both ways for me in terms of what’s derogatory or not useful. I’m curious why you would believe in the first place that something is unhealthy for someone when that person has been through it already and it works for that person. Perhaps some words triggered something for you - such as pounding back water. I have no idea how this could be misconstrued. Hydrating is important. I’ve found it to be important for me. We could really go on but I think your use of words is such as warning flags is unnecessary and lacks inclusion or understanding of someone else’s understanding of keto. (Is it really so one sided on these forums? Admittedly I haven’t spent as much time here as many others.)

Either way, I can’t really expect everyone to be cognizant of their tone or being inclusive so like I’ve said, I appreciate your feedback but dislike your tone.

(Jennibc) #22

Blockquote I also wouldn’t associate strictly controlling the timing of eating as a healthy behavior.

Blockquote

Wait! I just read Dr. Fung’s Obesity Code this weekend as tons of people have brought it up on this page and he says that is absolutely imperative if you want to reset your set weight. And apparently, I don’t know how to use block quote - forgive me please!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

@CampWoman, @cw2001
I think what is happening is that you are each on slightly different wavelengths and certain things are not getting through and other things are just hitting wrong. Please try to step back and not take anything too personally. My strong impression is that you both mean well by the other, and I would hate to see a fight break out when that is the case.

(Cindy) #24

No, you don’t (understand). Re-read the posts. I mentioned words that were warning flags to ME. No where in my post did I directly call you anything or make any type of reference to how you do keto overall. And yet, you felt it necessary to accuse me of being judgmental and a keyboard warrior.

You’re wanting me to be “cognizant of my tone” but seem to be oblivious to your own tone.

(Cindy) #25

LOL, no, @PaulL, I’m not taking any of this personally! I like debating language sometimes, but rarely, if ever, does it get personal to me. :wink:

(Cindy) #26

If you highlight part of a post, a little gray “quote” thingamajig pops up. Just click that.
As for Dr. Fung, yes, he talks about not eating umpteen times per day, but he also says to eat when you’re hungry. Fasting should, for the most part, be “natural.” As in, when you’re not hungry, don’t eat. If you can push that “not eating” thing for longer periods, that can be very healthy. But he also takes about varying the schedule. OMAD for a while, then maybe 2 meals for a some time, feasting one day then fasting the next.

It’s my understanding (and I certainly could be wrong) that the wrong thing to do is to continually restrict what you eat, day in and day out, because that does lead to a reduced BMR.

(Jennibc) #27

I have been doing Keto now since last spring and today is the first time I’ve tried a 24 hour fast and according to his book, I should expect to be hungry and should drink water or tea or coffee when hunger pangs set in. The book says they will come in waves. And they have. One more hour and I get to eat. I have been not eating when not hungry for years and that doesn’t always work.

(Cindy) #28

I agree. That’s what I meant about pushing the “not eating” out further…but I think if you were continually doing that, day after day, that that’s when it’s not a good thing. Then it just becomes calorie restriction.

Just to throw in another perspective, Keto isn’t right for everyone IMHO. Some people’s gut biome and metabolism just run better on different food and ratios of macronutrients. For example, most of China’s population is a healthy weight and they eat rice daily. I’m totally not advocating for that WOE (I’d put on weight just sitting next to someone eating rice at every meal) but we’re all individuals. Doesn’t hurt to keep that in mind if your not seeing positive results after a couple months.

(Jennibc) #30

Oh, there is NO WAY I am doing this everyday. I mean, I may try for a couple of times a week max. I made it today, I’ll try and do it again on Friday. We will see how it goes. I don’t think I would last every day and additionally I don’t want to subsist off of just 1000 calories a day which is probably the max I could take in one meal a day. What I have been doing since spring is coffee in the am and only eating from noon to 8 PM. But I would graze during that time period and now I have a feeling that is the reason I have only averaged about 3.8 pounds a month. So tomorrow I am going to eat all my afternoon food in one sitting and wait five hours to eat dinner. We will see how it goes.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #31

Of course you did, lol.

@juice :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
Another post taken over by the whinging.

The longer you are keto the easier the 24 hours is. I frequently only eat once a day. I just an not hungry for a second meal after I have a large first meal :slight_smile:

(Jennibc) #33

I eat at night because if I am hungry when I go to bed, I don’t sleep. So if I do the OMAD it’s always going to be at night. It’s much easier for me to not have breakfast.

(Cindy) #34

I did one 44 hr fast. It wasn’t too difficult but there was that wee little ocd voice in my head saying that I could just keep doing this…and doing this…and doing this…until I lost what I wanted to lose. But I really don’t think, for me, that that’s a healthy thing to do. I need to figure out how to lose weight in a healthy way.

Good luck with your fasting!

I started Keto in January, and was a similar build. I also eat very similar to you, and never pass 20 total carbs per day. I think what really made the difference is I started drinking 4-5 litres of water per day. I also intermittent fast (8/16). I haven’t gotten on the scale as I think that can hinder your mindset if you aren’t losing numbers, but I can tell you that I’ve dropped a dress size and can see a noticeable difference in my before and after photos (that I do every week to keep me motivated!)

I also bought a Keto breathalyzer, and haven’t blown a number that’s not fully in Ketosis a single day since I started.

I recommend intermittent fasting and upping your water in take (just a tip, buy a expensive water bottle- like a swell bottle, and always keep ice in it. It makes the water taste that much better, and you will find yourself constantly refilling it and excited to use it).

Good luck and hopefully you start seeing the results soon!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #37

Chinese people may not have as high a BMI as people of other countries, but that doesn’t mean they are healthier. Diabetes is a huge and growing problem in China, and is diagnosed in “healthy weight” individuals. That doesn’t mean keto is right for everyone, but the health of Chinese people isn’t great evidence on that front. Old Chinese people do seem to have some good habits, like going for a walk after eating.

(Doug) #38

There are some populations that eat relatively “high carbohydrate.” The ones that stay healthy tend to not snack, to not be constantly “grazing” - and it’s common to eat fewer times per day, rather than more, i.e. there’s not necessarily three meals, for example. This means less times of increasing insulin secretion per day, and a lower overall insulin level, which helps keep people off the destructive ‘treadmill’ of rising insulin resistance, increased hunger due to energy being directed into storage by increased insulin - rather than it going to feed the cells - and increasing weight, with the cycle repeating over and over.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

I suspect that they also eat less sugar and less in the way of refined grains, more the whole grains.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #40

Perhaps elsewhere, but China is white rice in the south and white wheat flour in the north all the way. Back when I ate such things I was able to find brown rice in small bags at foreign owned grocery stores, among a whole isle of white rice.

I think people keep conveniently forgetting diabetes affects over 10% of Chinese citizens, and that keeps going up, meaning there’s about 105 million Chinese diabetics; and that’s not even the number of Chinese people who are overweight (whether they’re SOFI or show their fat). And we can pretty much pinpoint the exact time it started to happen: the 80s, when Coke made their foothold in the Chinese market. And sugar takes all carbs down with it.

I feel like Americans/Westeners fall into the trap of Orientalism so much when they compare themselves to Asians, be it China, Japan, Okinawa, India, etc. It ignores a very real health issue, because everyone just assumes all Asians are skinny and therefore they are healthy.