Another extended fast. Hoping not to beat the last one

fasting
broth
extendedfast

So, I’m on day 6 of my current fast.

I have a big goal, and a small goal.

The big goal is to fast for 961 hours (40 days plus an hour).

The small goal is to fast longer than last time, in which I made it to day 8 of my 10 day fast before failing.

So far, I feel better overall this time than last. The cold shirt still feels colder than usual, but it doesn’t feel like I’m going to freeze during the day when I’m using it. In general I feel higher energy this time than last, but its only day 6 right now, so I don’t want to jinx myself.

However, I’m allowing myself the occasional diet soda, and 1-2 cubes of bullion with extra salt, a day if I feel I need it.

So far the main thing I’m noticing, and not liking, is that I’m having a hard time getting to sleep at night. Bed time rolls around and I have way too much energy. Not sure how to fix this. I do wake up kind of tired, and am starting slower in the morning than I’d like. Once going I have plenty of energy, I just need to figure out how to wind down for sleep in the evening.

(Todd Allen) #2

My nearly foolproof trick for insomnia is to take a very hot bath and sometimes follow it with melatonin. You do have to take care to learn your limits and not over do it as there are risks like scalding, heart attack or fainting - which can be fatal if one is in very hot water.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #3

I read somewhere it’s the temperature drop after the rise that signals sleep. Similarly I read with melatonin it’s the drop after the rise from injesting the melatonin that signals sleep and that taking more melatonin is counter productive as the rise is higher and is sustained longer.

In the past I’ve found that cold showers (around 45 degrees) help me sleep, but I’ll try this.