Another Carnivore Thread

I ate him…heehee

(Full Metal KETO AF) #162

Here…:cowboy_hat_face:

oh just another small item is mayo is a condiment. According to C Washington from ZIOH condiments are not food…and not to be used as such in a way that a little IF you can handle it easy with no ill effects can be used. So if one goes by what a carnivore is allowed to have a bit of and you aren’t ruining your plan and do well on it…………when I hit a restaurant and buy a philly cheesesteak with no onions or peppers or whatever they put on it and take it off the roll (and if you ask for the guts off the roll it seems to me they give ya bit more meat lol) and then I will use their mayo cause I love it combined with mayo.

So I opt for that in my menu that day. Rare use but I will do it.

hope that clarifies a bit

that is according to Bear in that I have no idea where he sourced that tho……so…I guess best we can do is a general source on salt content in fresh meat and seafood and see what science says on it :slight_smile:

I’m shocked I tell you, Shocked, lol. Only did it once. Seemed harmless enough at the time. After all, it was just a little micro dot…:scream: lol

(Full Metal KETO AF) #166

The lectin in coconut oil inspired me to investigate. My son who’s on the autism spectrum has been on a low lectin diet for several years. It’s something we studied up on a while back. It’s interesting to note that a lectin free diet is impossible. There would be nothing to eat at all. Lectins are pervasive in everything in the plant and animal kingdom. They break down foods categorically according to how much lectin you will be consuming in general. Caprylic acid is Level 1 with other oils and Beef. It’s interesting to note that pork and some other foods common to carnivore are Level 2. The article below is short and interesting and purely from a lectin analysis standpoint, not KETO so many foods are listed we wouldn’t eat. There maybe some difference in tolerance of animal lectins vs plants. But Casein is up on the list and eggs, pork and chicken are higher than quite a number of plant foods. Lectin is a protein. The main event for lectin once it enters your body is that it binds to carbohydrates and sugars. It keeps the nutritional aspects of those foods from being usable.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #167

Hundreds of times for me, I started at 13 living in So Cal during the 70’s. I feel I wouldn’t be the same person today without the extensive use of psychedelic drugs that I did. It opened many new channels of thought, philosophy, introspective analysis and personal growth. I didn’t look at it from a party drug perspective. I was a reader of Leary, Alpert and other psychedelic experimenters of the 1960’s.

Interesting side note, Carey Grant did LSD 100’s of times as well under psychiatric supervision from the late 50’s until it was made illegal in the 60’s. He had a problem with short lived dysfunctional relationships with women. It helped him with an objective look at himself during his acid psychotherapy sessions and apparently he had better more stable relationship skills from the experience. I think it’s a demonized and misused drug for the most part. Psychedelic drugs can be powerful used in the right context. My experience with all psychedelic drugs I have tried has always been positive. Except one occasion when the police raided a beach at night to chase everyone off I had a scary paranoid reaction for an hour or two. Another time I was arrested previous to that occasion as a minor and ended up with a year and three months of time in a group home for delinquent teen boys. But that experience of being arrested while I was high was water off s duck’s back. I sat in the detention room watching cartoons on the wall. I haven’t done any psychedelic drugs since a year before my leg amputation 20 years ago. Burning Man you know. :cowboy_hat_face:

Yes, lectins are impossible to avoid but some lectins bother me more than others, I guess. I’m not sure why the coconut oil did.

Hi guys :smiley: So much new comments…

I’ve found a cute place nearby! We will go there tomorrow, a tiny bycicle ride, it’s in the next village. They raise beautiful pigs, various kinds, I never knew pigs come in so many colors and patterns and I do saw lots of pigs, I love them, more than one way. They have a shop too, with smoked stuff but that should be fine in the tiny amounts we consume it. Those go well with my eggs. We will ask about pork but it seems they basically sell piglets and older pigs, smoked stuff in the shop and very rarely piglets in half, ready to bake for a feast on the last day of the year, it’s quite traditional but I never experienced it. Price and quality seems to be fine, morally acceptable for me, it’s close… It would be nice to get various fresh stuff but I’m glad for nearly anything at this point :smiley: I watched photos and videos about their various pigs and piglets today, the Duroc piglets are really fetching :wink:

I wrote it here because it’s partially your fault I have this “meaty” phase now :). I never put enough effort into finding a good source for meat before. No idea where it will bring me but I know I didn’t reach my ideal woe yet.

Bacon mayo? Interesting. I love eggs and eat a lot of them but I absolutely dislike mayonnaise. If I make it, I make sure it will be mostly egg yolk. Egg is tasty. Olive oil is weird. Coconut oil is tasteless. Bacon greese sounds definitely interesting. I never have that. The fat on the bacon is just perfect for the bacon and the accompanying eggs (or rabbit) in my world.

Salt… We need salt, that’s clear. Our non-processed food obviously has a tiny amount…
I totally don’t follow the keto guidelines for sodium intake even as an omnivore. I clearly function fine with little. But I do salt my food as I’m used to that, I find it tasty with salt. But there are exceptions and I think I need less salt as time passes. Eggs are fine without salt, I use a very tiny bit but I wouldn’t dislike them without salt either. Many plants are fine without salt too. Meat would be super weird, just like cheese (but I can’t even take the salt out of it) but the other dairy products are mixed.
I’ve read about carnivores who used very little salt. But non-human carnivores are fine with unsalted meat, herbivores tend to badly need salt, like goats…
I don’t feel I ever crave salt (but I eat it anyway so I can’t know. I surely didn’t crave it when I fasted long, my body missed it but I had no idea), I just can’t eat some food without salt as I’m used to the salty taste. It’s clearly a habit to some extent.
I don’t think salt is really a flavor. Okay, it is but it’s so nice, it’s just salty. A meat that is smoked and salted but basically tasteless (my tastebuds work like this if the meat isn’t good and really tasty) is horrible to me. But a good meat without salt… It’s flavorful but I miss the salt. If I ate it unsalted for long, it probably would change. I do need flavors. Eggs are tasty alone if boiled, I don’t know why I need salt for scrambled eggs… Egg whites requires more than salt. Good butter is tasty unsalted.
I eat raw egg yolks unsalted but those are desserts or drinks, not standalone food. But I will try them that way…
Many vegetables are totally tasty without salt, even for me who is used to slightly salty food. And of course, fruits usually don’t need anything. But cooked veggies are a bit worse, I noticed it. Raw vegetables rarely need salt, spring onion is the only exception in my case. Salted raw vegetables alone are an insult to me, those are bad.

I wonder about spices sometimes… I like spices because I am curious and like variety, I have so many spices but I don’t know what to do with them as they are so useless if I just eat eggs, cheese, vegetables and other tasty things. If I happen to eat meat, that must be good so I only need salt. I never understood overspicing everything.
I do love indian spices and use them occasionally (in plant-based food). But it’s just some not really important playful thing.
Spices don’t even help if I find a food bland. It’s still bland, just spicy (to me. some people allegedly are different).

The one time I did LSD with with a friend who later insisted on going to a party in some upscale neighborhood where the parents were apparently out of town and the two teenager kids were hosting all comers for a mega-party. The place was packed with teens and there were only 3 of us in the place who were 21 or older. There was a lot of alcohol. I just wanted to find a place to be mellow and the next thing I knew the cops were raiding the place. Oh boy! I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. So mine wasn’t a pleasant experience. I believe it would have been fascinating had it not been for the party/police raid.

Bacon grease is delish. I save mine and use it to fry my eggs in and for other dishes. I’ve even eaten it as is for a quick bite of food. :slight_smile:

I guess I’m wondering if I ought to try just salting to taste? I like a nicely salted ribeye or roast but I just wonder if I’m getting too much. I think I read somewhere that our body uses potassium to process the salt and if there isn’t enough potassium in the diet it will take it from our bones. I like to eat eggs too.

Has anyone had any dealings with White Oak Pastures?
https://www.whiteoakpastures.com/
They’re in Georgia so I was considering giving them a shot. They’re hosting the White Oakchella Carnivore event in December that I’m hoping to attend.

Not super sweet to me but definitely sweetish as always (but our water might be very different anyway. some water is sweeter than others). That’s why my weak black coffee is sweet, it’s the big water content (and the not really bitter coffee I use).
Tastebuds work differently for different people. Ketoers always write they start to feel flavors and sweetness in various things. And I felt them when I ate sugary sweets galore. Our sensitivity is different. Some people need to cut sugar to experience changes (me too, I started to feel things sweeter when I stopped eating added sugar), others need to cut sweeteners too and maybe all the naturally really sweet things.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #174

Actually without adequate sodium we become potassium deficient. Adequate salt blocks the loss of excessive potassium. It’s calcium that leaches from the bones. Adequate salt prevents this, 2-3g. per day.

Potassium isn’t stored beyond what the body can use, excess is cleared through urine. Salt is also a key to keeping adequate magnesium in your system. It’s the master mineral. :cowboy_hat_face:

I’m not dropping salt but curious about cutting back. I went kinda salt crazy on keto.

Thank you, David. I appreciate that info. I think I’ll try keeping track of how much I use if I’m salting to taste. I bet it will vary between the 2 to 3 grams range. I know there are folks doing regular keto who take in 5g or more but then they might be having a lot more calories than I am too.

Yes!!! I find it really frustrating when fasting is treated as some kind of new fad.
Also, all that lovely data that Ancel Keys really did get from Cyprus involved folks who had a lot of religious fasts (different kinds of fasts, if I remember correctly).

@barefootbob, you’re looking amazing! Nice to see your success and notes on going carnivore

I haven’t purchased anything from them but they sound like a great company! I’m always happy to read about farmers who are building up the soil like he is and like John Wood (US Wellness Meats) is. I know there are more out there.

2-3g? That’s a nice number, I have that much, the keto-recommended 12g was impossibly and unnecessarily huge for me… I never tried to meet that (I did it once from sheer curiosity) but a bit felt as an oddball with my 5g on a salty day, all from my food. I met the normal recommendations nicely (and without trying to), I never heard a minimum in my life until now, I just knew we need some and that I probably get enough.

Pious Orthodox Christians fast from all animal products for 40 days before Christmas, 40 days plus 1 week before Pascha (Easter), 15 days in August, and a variable length fast in the late spring/early summer. Plus almost every Wed & Friday so yeah, pretty sure that wasn’t accounted for.