Another Carnivore Thread

(Edith) #1565

So, I am trying to get more fat in my diet. I bought suet which I fry up and eat along with other meat. It’s not bad, but not my favorite. I decided to try to get beef trimmings. Boy! I did not realize how difficult that was going to be. Regular grocery stores either don’t have any or consider them a health hazard (since they don’t have a label for them) and won’t sell them.

I finally found a little Korean butcher shop that gave them to me for free. They said they would be throwing them out anyway. They are not grass fed, but I figure the benefit of getting the extra fat in my diet may outweigh the negatives of grain finished. I have not had a lot of energy on carnivore so far.

I had pasture raised pulled pork for lunch which is not very fatty. Tasty but not fatty. I fried it up with some beef suet. I ate about 5 ounces of meat and fat over all, and I now can’t think of eating another bite. It’ll be interesting to see if my energy increases. I’m still having massive trouble with my back, so I’m hoping leaning more towards PKD fat/protein levels may improve that inflammation.

I went back to my not too fatty style. I still eat more fat than before (when I had 1:1) but 2:1 is very far away. I just won’t eat lots of added fat. But more yolks sounds nice. I have way more ideas for using egg whites now and as some of them are sweets, my SO will eat them up in no time. But he loves the cheesy one too and he need the extra protein more than I do.

I skipped next month regarding beef. Not even organ or trimmings this time so I really lose nothing at all. They will have chicken again but I didn’t even get the 2 ordered birds yet. It seems they have some every month now, it’s good. Or I don’t know. I never was into chicken and I hated it for decades and changed my opinion lately… And we will cook it the way we just want… We will see if I get bored of it soon. Probably. I need to get not smoked pork. Chicken is so lean and anyway, the taste of pork is superior… And I need variety but I don’t worry about it at this point.
I start to get bored of meat again, hopefully the birds will help a bit.
Not like I won’t eat meat when I am bored of it. I ate 3-5 eggs a day when I totally disliked eggs in general, after all (and not even sweets. that’s too easy). I need to eat and if I have multiple fatty protein sources, it’s good enough. And it’s still not serious yet. I only refuse to eat beef. And I don’t eat cheese either but that’s never significant in my life.
It seems I function with less protein and food now so I do that. If I still can’t have enough in one meal, I use 2 or 3, it’s good.

But if I am here… I had a thought. I dislike since ages if a food is too rich in cheese, fat, sweetener or some other things. But these are fine all alone… Maybe it’s normal but not everyone thinks so, I am sure when I complain that some food is way too fatty, I can’t eat it. But I can snack on a little bowl of lard just fine…

@VirginiaEdie I’ve found that I can get the fat trimmings around here from a couple of places (Whole Foods, local butchers) but they charge, sigh. I’m glad you were able to find some. I love my suet frozen and raw and eat it straight from the freezer. I could eat bowls of that stuff. I hope your back issues resolve soon. :heart:

@Shinita Snacking on a little bowl of lard sounds tasty! I also enjoy the beef suet I’m eating if I eat it straight from the freezer. I tried just having egg yokes this morning and it was good. Eggs are a good healthy food choice too.

(Edith) #1568

Hum… We have a Whole Foods about 35 minutes away. Maybe the next time I am near it, I will stop in and check for trimmings. Thanks for the idea.

Yep, the new lard with delicious particles I bought on Saturday is even better :wink: It must be a tiny bowl though… I’ve been working on keeping my added fat intake low since years, I don’t want to ruin it now, I am too great skills at overeating. Not so much on carnivore but let’s not test it before I lose a little weight and get used to my slightly relaxed, more permanent diet.
I never had beef suet but considering I love pork and don’t like beef much… Well, I don’t really like mutton tallow (it works but I prefer all the other fats I use) and love mutton… But I love meat more than the fat of the same animal… If I eat fat, I prefer that being one with my meat anyway. Or egg.
Of course eggs are awesome but yolks are the tasty bits :D. If I get bored of normal scrambled eggs, I use more yolks. Only yolks are great too. And my best, not carnivore cakes have only yolks (I never figured out how to make their carnivore version good too but as I don’t fancy cakes even off carnivore now, I am not in a hurry). My ice cream is mostly yolks too - again, I live without it too easily, I only did a dirty carnivore eggnog ice cream (it had a bit rum, only that’s why it was dirty) in December when I always make seasonal sweets and that was great.
But I still don’t know how many eggs and meat and whatever is good for proper nutrition. I don’t even know my nutritional need on such a diet… I eat various things and hope my body will tell me if something is off.
I can’t do even more now. I am health-conscious, read things sometimes (science and me, that’s tough. I have logic, I like biology - well the “how animals behave and how they looked like 500 million years ago”, preferably in the voice of David Attenborough, not so much the tiny stuff but those are interesting too - and chemistry was some foreign, abstract mystery to me all my life. it doesn’t help but great guys have cute explanations for dummies, I like them but need experiences too, mine and others’), I listen to my body and eat way better than the average person - not like it’s a huge bar, far from it… Even my genetics can’t be very bad. So I wait some until I jump into some research. I don’t even know how my actual diet will look like when things calm down. I have some vague ideas and plans but they are subject to change to some extent.

So I still have so many thoughts and half-formed questions… But I want some chill and peace now. I was so off on the last days.

Two long time carnivores:

Just arrived today.

(Scott) #1572

As I find myself drifting toward Carnivore I think I will give this book a read. Thanks for posting!

I have noticed a pattern in most of the people that I have followed on keto. They all seem to start keto and say “I am mostly carnivore now”.

yea there are a lot of heavy protein based keto people…they can say they are stepping toward carnivore, but if you eat plants you ain’t no carnivore HAHA

Walking toward very heavy protein based diet plan is a good thing, but it can work against you if you still are eating carbs. The carb elimination is why we can eat such high fat and high protein and it works, add carbs into that mix and it doesn’t work as well for many. Even those fewer carbs mean trouble.

hey jump in and try it. Zero carb eating is just a wonderful way of life. If it suits you and you feel great etc. you might have walked the right way for you…a trial experiment would be cool.

oh cool read bob!!

Dana Spencer, darn I was trying to remember her last name. I remember her on my old low carb site. She did zero carb and she was the lady who ate like around 4,000 kcals per day easily she said and was dropping lbs and doing so well in healing and more. I was gonna mention her in a diff. post but couldn’t remember her last name, I think I wrote, Dana (can’t remember her last name) ate a ton while on zero carb…funny that just came to mind :slight_smile:

We got the birds (they are very alike, I guess the darker one is the guineafowl…) - and a very beautiful skull with those amazing, big, dark brown, spiralling horns! I love the Racka sheep, it’s tasty and beautiful. The usual guy was busy with cutting pigs. I asked and he said they tried to sell raw pork but it wasn’t popular. But maybe they will try again. And there will be Racka again! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: That was tasty. I am not in a hurry, we still have beef (I imagine I will able to look at it after 3 weeks or something), birds and we will buy fish (it’s not easy around here, we need a hypermarket for some proper selection, it seems).

I am quite into the smoked pork hocks now. My salt intake tripled (and I barely started to taste it a tad more enthusiastically. not like I can stand much more, the meat is great but very salty for me) and my SO decided to taste it himself before it completely disappears. He doesn’t eat it raw and he dislike pork skin too. I fry it into a crunchy snack.

I’m totally not disciplined nowadays so it’s day 1 again. Dirty carnivore, good enough. It’s way easier to continue, starting it is tougher as the carbs in the previous days may affect me too much. I don’t even get it, my carnivore food is the tastiest option, hands down. But sometimes I get ideas and compulsions. And chocolate is awesome. I don’t have any right now, not like I can’t make some in no time. My SO obviously has his as it’s his staple food but that’s inedible to me, I prefer mine very fatty.

So things are good right now. The little, young rooster will become soup and baked thighs and wings tomorrow. Nothing complicated, good meat is good meat, we don’t need to do anything special with it.

I am an Amber fan :slight_smile: always liked her. She promotes the lifestyle so she is out there. Good info.

The part about protein was interesting and new to me but it makes sense that lowering my carbs means I can afford more protein if depth of ketosis matters to me - I don’t think so but it’s still good to know.
My goal is still not wasting protein, that’s one reason I should stay close to carnivore where I don’t eat very much protein or fat regularly due to hunger. At least it seems so, I definitely need to test it for longer, I can’t seem to stick to it for long lately and it’s bad as I don’t gain anything with it. But I don’t fail every day, it’s something, I keep trying and thinking about things. It will get better. No novelty anymore, I face different challenges at this point.

A small rooster is barely anything, we know that now. I almost ate my half and it wasn’t a very significant part of my food today. We definitely will choose fattier dishes but I always want a new kind of meat baked. In my mind, baked meat is awesome and a bird must have pretty, crunchy skin. It looked good, tasted fine but wasn’t as soft as the soup meat (obviously but I like it soft) and even the thigh was so tiny for me! Let alone the wing, that was a few little bites of meat and an edible plaything for the cats. The soup tastes good but that’s little too. Baking the limbs is still too much work, I prefer simpler food. But we have no regrets, it had to be done and it was a nice meal. Or two as we had small ones today.
But next time we will make stew, that always works and simple. I can fry the skin in a pan.

I was on FB today (yeah, I know…) and an ad popped up for a vegan multivitamin. In the text of the add was this statement:
“Why? Because current scientific research shows that 7 essential nutrients are typically missing from a vegan diet or plant-based diet.”

Well, shouldn’t this be a :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: clue???
I would go so far as to say that 7 is being generous considering all the antinutrients and toxic :poop:that come with eating that way!

I only heard about the B12 (just what it IS in the plants somehow, absorption is another thing and I am not nearly knowledgeable enough but well, many plant-eaters are seemingly just fine so I don’t think a “good” plant-based diet is necessarily lacks multiple nutrients in all case. People are wonderfully different and our species can survive and even thrive on various diets somehow. I am not nearly as great, carbs just mess with me, especially simple ones, even in small doses but it’s me. After today I am even more sure lactose isn’t my friend. It’s fine in tiny amounts but that’s it. But I am used to not eating much lactose, I just experiment now and then)…
But yeah, I agree. If a diet can’t give me what it should, no matter how well I do it, why would I sacrifice myself? I have my standards, I think about animals and planets and act accordingly even if it’s less convenient and cheap, even if I am poor. I surely don’t feel particularly guilty (I met that word again… I searched for a carnivore food item but well, vegetarians has a similar one and I am curious. It was half animal products, half grains sigh. Even my own plant-based recipes are better. For me, they surely love their creations and of course their non-vegetarian family was over the moon too. The usual, we know blogs and comments…) But my own health and well-being is my priority anyway.
And not that I dislike supplements… I am unable to take them most of the time. It just can’t happen, it’s liike water off the duck’s back. I only took magnesium when I had cramps (I stopped it when I first tried carnivore and never needed it again despite my very frequent very off times. maybe it’s the meat, maybe the changes in my plant consumption have some effect? no idea but it’s good. and my magnesium intake is still pretty low compared to the recommended amount, I think) and I simply never supplemented salt in my life (eating a tablespoon of salt once was curiosity, I didn’t need it). I have vitamin C since years and I never used a whole pinch every month and it was to make things more sour. I love if my diet makes supplementing unneeded, I didn’t like my obvious need for magnesium pills on my old keto (and I pretty much refused to eat the holy grail of many ketoers, spinach even more. I rather took pills so it was serious but I was searching for a better way).

Needing multivitamins surely isn’t a problem for many as lots of people takes them anyway, no matter their diet. Many people are sure we need insane amounts of a lot of things and it’s simply impossible to get from food. I saw too that recommendations are crazy sometimes, I simply can’t meat them, not by far. I just don’t stress about that.
Even salt recommendation on keto was impossible to me (not theoretically impossible, just so inconvenient without a good reason that I wouldn’t do it) - but smoked pork changed that. I am not pleased with this huge salt intake though, feels bad somehow, not what I am used to and like.

I like when one just can chill and not worrying about zillion different things. I am healthy enough that I don’t need very very special finetuning just to feel okay. I just aim for the best, the smart and hedonistic part of me. Other parts try to sabotage that but the trend is slowly improving.

Dr Salad has slipped back to 1982?

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2F_T8X0Y77ilw%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2KkUCj0fC58TI0B_cnLIQ7_ZKRV_h7H13fVasI6GNCZYbJo12y34cxmGI&h=AT3vHKKd_cDFdc8RNHbO5qcWzBoyHS650PCCzQZrBGoind5kEFMxGJnLZwl0i6ZZnJT2IOAe_lDMd55a45fJyfGQokXZ3_LYgFmPg-WfY5jy4M_nsS7xbYWgodjHbqraKyKQ-usXdrlx7gzBPHS_pM2yQa4X9lvPbRl5JA

yea Dr Georgia mentions that right off in here saying that supplementing is key survival for anyone going plant based.
I am a firm believer if you have to supplement just cause your food is lacking…geez louise what does that tell one? but people won’t listen!

(Polly) #1582

I am with you on that one Fangs. It seems so obvious but I suspect that people’s beliefs get in the way of their cognitive abilities.

agreed!!! boy we also have so much wrong nutritional info drilled into us from birth and at some point I don’t know if people truly can find their way thru the maze of BS surrounding all these issues. Even the plant based lifestyle and sustainability and ethics vs. the reason livestock sustainability is just as important of an issue to survival of the planet but we can’t win thru it all I think LOL I give up too on it all LOL

(mole person) #1584

Doesn’t this make you wonder about the standard keto diet too though? How many of the people on this forum are supplementing with huge quantities of non dietary salt, magnesium, and even potassium in their electrolyte supplements?