Anger outbursts anyone?

(Jill F.) #1

Hi there, I am 44 years old and my goal is to lose 40 pounds. I started my keto way of life 3 weeks ago. I have lost 8 pounds and about as many inches so I am pleased with my progress so far.
I have noticed I have been having small anger outbursts lately over silly things. I really dont think it is a case of the hangries since I really dont feel hungry. I am eating 1200 to 1300 calories a day and logging everything into Carb Manager app. Normally I am very calm and patient but lately have been short fused.
I am 5 ft 4 and currently weigh 176. I am on HRT injections every two weeks and have been since having a full hysterectomy 7 years ago. I attend yoga 4x a week and take an antidepressant and see a therapist so I do a lot of self care to reduce stress.
Any similar experiences? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Given that low carb diets can cause hormonal shifts it may be that you just need to give it time to settle. If it continues it might be worth a review of your medications - our needs can change with a change of lifestyle.

(Brian) #3

Hang in there. Your body is going through a lot of changes. It takes time to get all of the hormones regulated. That and more affect moods and emotions. Probably no help at all but it’s not abnormal.

:slight_smile:

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #4

If you previously used carbs to self soothe you might be experiencing the fallout from that. Try to take note of anything that brings you a sense of calm or relaxation and go to that the next time an outburst hits. Maybe make a little list. I know in advance when something is really going to stress me out and have steps to take after surviving said scenario. You’ll get there!

(Sue) #5

I don’t know what your eating patterns were before but is it possible you were self soothing with food instead of expressing your anger? I went through something like this when I was trying to get sober from alcohol. My therapist taught me that I was suppressing all my rage with alcohol and food, so when I gave that up, it was boiling up to the surface.