An exercise scientist says Silicon Valley's favorite diet is a scary 'experiment

(Leslie) #1

More ridiculous news. How is this science?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

16 athletes doing Keto for 4 days. That’s it? They performed 6-7% worse. Well dah! We could have told them that would happen and saved the “researchers” their $.

(Jack Brien) #3

Amazing that that sort of stuff actually passes an editor, but the paper is junk. The headline is just attention seeking and even the article itself contradicts the ‘researcher’.

(Leslie) #4

The scary part is that the article appeared on my google home page. This is the problem with people who consider themselves scientists and don’t bother to look into the already established, available science before they publish a report of some junk experiment. I’m really angry about this problem. The WHO does the same thing and then every doctor in the world just blindly foolows without ever questioning what they’re being told.
Gggrrrrrrrr

(Chris) #5

I get similar trash in my news page too. I don’t think it’s limited to Google’s though.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

I was under the impression that silicon valley’s favorite diet was meal replacements made by smart blenders that just punch holes in capri sun bags.

(charlie3) #7

Many many people have careers vitally depending on the legitimacy of carbs. If carbs go down, they are looking for other work. This won’t go smoothly. When I look down the center isles at Walmart these days I see hundreds of brands of rat poison.

(bulkbiker) #8

What the f**k is an “Exercise Scientist”?

(Leslie) #9

@MarkGossage
Fake scientist.
Trouble maker.
Carb industry biatch.
Rabble rouser.
I’m sure he’s a very nice guy…

(Doug) #10

Charles, for sure. Not sure of the exact number, but I’ve seen claims that 75 to 80% of the items in U.S. grocery stores have added sugar. Speaking of those aisles - the Cereal one is brutal. Kellogg’s Honey Smacks - one serving, supposedly according to the ‘Nutrition Labeling and Education Act’ - is 27 grams (yeah, right, who eats that little?) and of that 27 grams, 15 grams are sugar. Yee Haa! :smile:

(Trish) #11

Sugar and grains; 80% of the grocery store. The only aisle that doesn’t have either is the detergent and paper aisle. Even the dog food isn’t exempt.

To them, what is published?

Keto being a good healthy option? yes.
but
High-fat being a bad healthy way? also yes.

So, to them, what is published? it doesn’t matter anymore, as both contradicting types are there.

(Brian) #13

I haven’t been down a cereal aisle in a very long time. No clue what’s even in a box of cereal as I don’t buy the stuff, ever. Even before keto, I didn’t want anything to do with cereal.

Probably 90% of my grocery shopping happens on the outer perimeter of the store. Fortunately, most of the carbage doesn’t even really tempt me anymore. They’re just packages of inedible objects.

Look on the bright side, it is Silicon Valley’s favorite diet. Eventually someone there will figure out how to monetize it and we can all invest

(Bunny) #15

:top:From the Valley Girl soap opera article above:

“…In spite of the recent small study, the science of elite athletic performance and keto diets is far from settled. One 2012 study of gymnasts found the keto diet had no effect on their performance, while a 2017 study of elite race walkers found that those who followed a keto diet needed more oxygen during their races and their performance suffered. …” …More

Hmmmmm? The need for OXYGEN and the ketobolic metabolisms need for less oxygen, oxygen is being utilized much better for higher cellular respiratory purposes?

Killing Cancer with Oxygen and Ketogenic Diet?

”…Oxygen is the final acceptor of electrons in the electron transport chain. Without oxygen, the electron transport chain becomes jammed with electrons. Consequently, NAD[1] cannot be produced, thereby causing glycolysis to produce lactic acid instead of pyruvate, which is a necessary component of the Krebs Cycle. Thus, the Krebs cycle is heavily dependent on oxygen, deeming it an aerobic process.

LACTIC ACIDOSIS?

We can literally force mitochondria to become active again and use the Krebs Cycle for energy if we ram enough oxygen into the cells. This process, called *Anti-Inflammatory Oxygen Therapy, rockets oxygen into cancer cells so they stop being cancerous (anaerobic) and regain apoptosis, their programmable cell death. If you put enough oxygen into a cancer cell it will turn on the Krebs Cycle (the mitochondria) and this reignites the program for cell death.[2]

Dr. Philipp Mergenthaler and Dr. Andreas Meisel showed that depriving a cell of glucose, while giving it plenty of oxygen at the same time, blocks glycolysis and therefore forces the cell to revive its mitochondria and use the Krebs Cycle for energy.

The citric acid cycle — also known as the tricarboxylic acid cycle (TCA cycle), or the Krebs cycle, is the prime life pump that creates the energy to live. Healthy cells are aerobic, meaning that they function properly in the presence of sufficient oxygen. Healthy cells metabolize (burn) oxygen and glucose (blood sugar) to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is the energy “currency” of the cells.

Aerobic cellular respiration does require 6 molecules of oxygen for every molecule of glucose. The chemical formula is 6O2 + C6H12O6 –> 6CO2 + 6H2O + ATP energy. The three-carbon sugar, known as pyruvate, and NADH are shuttled to the Krebs Cycle to create more ATP under aerobic conditions. If no oxygen is present, pyruvate is not allowed to enter the Krebs cycle and it is further oxidized to produce lactic acid.

LACTIC ACIDOSIS?

The mitochondria are especially sensitive to light. In fact, the mitochondria are like simple bacteria using light, magnesium, bicarbonates, CO2 and oxygen. They are energy factories like plants are except one is basically creating energy in the form of glucose whereas the mitochondria turn out ATP.

Dr. Robert Rowan says, “Warburg emphasized that you can’t make a cell ferment unless a LACK OF OXYGEN is involved. In 1955, two American scientists, R.A. Malmgren and C.C. Flanigan, confirmed Warburg’s findings. They found that oxygen deficiency is ALWAYS present when cancer develops.”

Warburg found that you can reverse fermentation simply by adding oxygen – but only if you do it early enough. He incubated cells in nitrogen, starving them of oxygen for regular but short periods. Starving the cells of oxygen caused them to begin fermentation and that is where cancer begins. Restoring oxygen promptly enabled the cells to recover. …”

“…Writing in the Jan. 4, 2012, edition of Cell Metabolism, Anne Le, M.D., and a team of investigators collaborating with the Johns Hopkins Brain Science Institute, say the finding is critical for developing innovative cancer therapies because it offers “proof of concept” evidence that curbing the growth of B cell cancers can be accomplished by inhibiting a glutamine enzyme called glutaminase. The study also found that when oxygen is scarce, there is enhanced conversion of glutamine to glutathione, an important agent for controlling the accumulation of oxygen-containing chemically reactive molecules that cause damage to normal cells.

One of the main reasons cells lose oxygen is excessive sugar intake. We also know that poisons, preservatives, radiation, or other carcinogens affect a cell’s ability to use oxygen. Warburg said that glucose brings a cell’s ability to use oxygen down. One of the principle ways sugar does this is by creating chronic inflammation in the capillaries and other tissues *thus cutting down on oxygen delivery to the cells. When we gorge on the long list of widely available junk foods our cells do not get the oxygen they need to function correctly. …” …More

(Bunny) #16

OMG! that would be like totally bitchin, like gag me with a spoon! (Valley Girl lingo) lol!

(Runs on bacon) #17

The ketogenic diet, is, by its nature, a high-acidity plan.

Um… huh?!? Isn’t this person confusing nutritional ketosis with ketoacidosis?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #18

Wrong valley. Gag me with a spoon is the Valley in SoCal. Sillycon Valley is up north.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

Ketones are mildly acidic, so they’re not entirely wrong. It’s only really a problem when you go into ketoacidosis when you have a high enough concentration of ketones to significantly alter the ph of the blood.

(Bunny) #20

I know, was just having fun! Lol