An exercise scientist says Silicon Valley's favorite diet is a scary 'experiment

(Runs on bacon) #21

Right, but the author states “high-acidity”…

It’s my understanding that it’s possible to make the diet acidic (by not getting enough minerals; Na, K, etc) but that keto is not, “by it’s nature” highly acidic as the author asserts and in fact can be alkaline forming. (Google searching now to try to find where I read that)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #22

A generally functional body will maintain the ph in a relatively tight core, as it does with temperature and hundreds of other processes. So, I had a friend once who thought my diet was overly acidic. It’s nutritionist nonsense. I wouldn’t pay it much mind, other than folks tend to think things they read from NUTritionists and their ilk.

(Straight outta ‘Straya’) #23

When people say shit like ‘highly acidic’ that means they support BS like the alkaline diet.

(Bunny) #24

The Alkalize Your Body & Fight Disease MYTH! Dr. Berg talks about why alkalizing your body does not fight disease. Every part of your body has a different pH and to change a normal acid pH fluid over to alkaline when it’s supposed to be acid is a bad thing and will disrupt the body chemistry. When someone says we need to alkalize the body - what part of the body are we talking about? Every part has a DIFFERENT pH, so this is normal. What we need to do instead is eat healthy and not try to shift everything over to being alkaline. There are all sorts of diseases that exist in alkaline states. Cancer can grow in an alkaline body FYI.

(Doug) #25

Back in the 1970s I had this little book. :grin: