An AMAZING pecan pie, thanks to these forums

(less is more, more or less) #1

I was going to post this on @KetoWhitney’s original post, but it feels like a hijack.

Thanks to @KetoWhitney’s post, here, I was sufficiently inspired to bake my own pie, from scratch, my first pie, ever. I woke up early Thanksgiving morning to make this baby before my wife took control of the kitchen. It was this very recipe. I checked several alternate online recipes and thought this one seemed the easiest to make and sounded the most delicious.

I saved up ALL my carbs for this baby today, and boy was it worth it!

On the left is regular coffee with homemade whipped cream. I made it with heavy whipping cream, one pack of stevia and 3 minutes in our mixer. I wanted to make enough for several people.

This is my first indulgence in my 19+ month LCHF experience. Thanks to the ingredients, I felt no need for more than the serving you see in the picture. Which is good, since I met my total carb max, right there.

My Thanksgiving meal was mushroom stuffed with sausage, pimento-cheese celery, dark meat turkey and dessert. My LCHF daughter agreed the pie was awesome. Everyone else had my wife’s sugary cheesecake. I’m sure it was awesome, but no sugar tripping for me these days.

How often do you “cheat” if ever?
(Whitney) #2

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I made one and added Lily’s stevia chocolate chips to the filling and all of our non-keto family loved it. But since I made it twice before Thanksgiving and once for Thanksgiving, my three-year-old is completely spoiled now. She doesn’t understand why there is no more pie in the fridge. :joy: Happy Thanksgiving!

(Whitney) #3

Here is a picture of our KetoConnect pecan pie on Thanksgiving, with Lily’s chocolate chips added and sugar-free Great Value spray whipped cream (0 carbs) - yummmmm!

IMG_8786

(Bob M) #4

Is this what you use for the “sugar free” maple syrup:

https://www.amazon.com/WALDEN-FARMS-CALORIE-Pancake-SYRUP/dp/B00D093TF6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=ketoconnect-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1529496925&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=walden%2Bfarms%2Bmaple%2Bsyrup&linkId=70fb00a903cc46e048f38eead0b39703&th=1

I have to say: it’s so, well, fake.

(Carl Keller) #5

Other Ingredients: *Triple filtered purified water, cellulose gum, maple flavor, sucralose, salt, natural flavors, xanthan gum, lactic acid, sodium acid sulfate, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness), sodium benzoate, caramel color, beta carotene color.

I’m a bit leery of sucralose. I’ve read in more than one place that it can spike insulin and blood sugar. And Xanthan gum is a sugar derived typically from corn (can also be from soy or wheat) that has been pooped out by a bacteria that produces rot on various vegetables. Who wants to eat bacteria poop?

(Justin Jordan) #6

I have some bad news about yogurt.

(Carl Keller) #7

I never eat the stuff.

(less is more, more or less) #8

I have to say, I don’t give a flip, since this pie won’t be a regular menu item for me.

That said, what’s your proposed recipe substitute?

I do. I love cheese, another product of fermentation.

Where would we be without the keto police?

(Carl Keller) #9

Fair point. I do love my cheese too.

Even if it is not ‘real’, there’s nothing wrong with a rare indulgence. You’ve worked so hard for so long, Screen, that you shouldn’t even fret even if this were made with 100% refined sugar.

(Renee Njalsson) #10

hahahaha my thoughts exactly!