Am I ruining my fast?

newbies

(Seth) #1

So I have been doing keto for a bit over a month now, and have been eating omad for about the last half of that. As I’m finding that lately I’ve had to force myself to eat my omad because I’m just not hungry, I’ve decided to get into extended fasting. I’m fine without the food, but liquid treats have always been my weakness. I’ve always been addicted to sodas, but keto has helped me kick it. The only two things other than water that I’ve been drinking are gatorade propel waters with electrolytes (0 cal/carb/pro/fat) and zero ultra monsters. I have terrible insomnia and the monsters help me wake up in the morning and function through the day. I’d switch to coffee but I absolutely detest the stuff. The monster zero ultras are 0 calorie, but they have 2 net carbs a can, 4 total carbs, two being erythritol; I’m not sure what the other two are. I only have max one a day. These are the last things I’d want to give up. Other than the monsters, it’s just propel and water. I get that as long as I’m not consuming calories my fast should be alright, but do carbs mess it up? are those 2 net carbs, or even the erythritol going to break my fast or reset me back to running on sugar and cause an insulin spike? Cos if that’s the case, then I’ve basically not been fasting.

(KetoQ) #2

The carbs have calories, so yes, you are technically breaking your fast. For some reason they can label zero calories to make you think the product provides or doesn’t provide, certain nutrition.

That said, determine why you are fasting. If it’s for autophagy, then you need to do water/coffee/tea – plain, add nothing.

If you’re doing it for weight loss, I wouldn’t sweat it. If it bumps you out of ketosis, and I’m not sure it would, but it may, you’ll be back in and burning fat in no time.

(Seth) #3

Thanks very much! I’m fasting primarily for weight loss, but autophagy is a desirable bonus. So far I’ve gotten into fasting for most of the business week, breaking my fast either thursday or friday, and having one of the monsters when I get together with my friends on friday nights. I’d been having them near daily when just doing straight keto with no fasting and never had a problem, but I’m pretty new to fasting so wasn’t sure if I had to kick them. Thanks for the info!

(Robert C) #4

In your scenario I would avoid the fake sweeteners. Well - I guess I always would after learning of the negative impact on the gut microbiome. You are taking an opportunity to let your gut microbiome heal/reset and trowing it away with literally (an actually correct use of the word) bottles of synthetic chemicals. I would look for anything else - some people like cold (black) coffee or maybe just caffeine pills for the rush without the damage. You truly want your refeasting gut to be a healthy gut.