Am I eating too many vegetables?

When I look at meal plans I see they have very little.

Here’s what I eat: 2oz cucumber + 2oz spinach +1 avocado (3oz or so) + 1oz kale +1oz Broccoli. This is my total intake for the day spread across three meals. I doubt it’s anywhere close to 20 net carbs.

Even that’s way more than what i’ve seen in meal plans (assuming they are any kind of guide), but in terms of nutrition I need to make sure I get enough. Yet people seem to eat so little?

I’m concerned that the insoluble fibre is the cause of constipation for me and perhaps i should cut back.

(Jeremy Storie) #2

You get more nutrients from animal products than you realize. I do mainly zero carb (no plants) with the occasional vegetable. What you eat in vegetables in a day takes me a month to consume.

(jilliangordona) #3

Agree with @jeremystorie, you get more nutrients from meat than you think.

However, I personally have more energy, feel more satisfied, and am happier with more of a plant based keto. You need to experiment, cut out veggies and see you how you feel.

FWIW, magnesium and digestive enzymes eliminates my constipation.

(Regina M.) #4

I doubt you are eating too many vegetables. It looks like 6 net carbs. If you want to eat vegetables, eat vegetables. Have you tried a magnesium supplement? I started using Natural Calm a couple of weeks ago to help me sleep, and as a side effect I’ve been regular ever since.

i take 300mg magnesium citrate a day, sometimes 400

That doesn’t sound ideal.

I’,m not convinced meat alone can give you enough nutrients. Surely you’d be overdoing protein? What about all that meat clogging you up?

(jilliangordona) #7

Meat doesn’t “clog you up.” There is simply way less waste in meat than other foods you consume.

Here is an example with beef. I am sure it varies depending on the cut of meat.

i’m clogged up and I eat a lot of meat.

(Allie) #9

Doesn’t mean it’s the meat causing it though.

maybe not, but i can’t get to the bottom of my issue (NPI)

(Nick) #11

Meat does not “clog you up”. Meat gets digested into constituent amino acids and lipids rapidly. Very quickly, there’s nothing left of meat but a slurry, and then its constituent ingredients, and then nothing.

If you want to be “clogged” up, you need to eat plenty of fibre that sits in your colon, being fermented and making gas.

(Carpe salata!) #12

300mg is one magnesium tablet right?

I take 3 of them 3x a day if I’m “clogged up”. If that doesn’t work keep increasing. It’s nigh on impossible to actually overdose on magnesium because of its laxative effect in higher doses.

you take 9 300mg pills? You can’t be serious

(Carpe salata!) #14

If I need to - sure.

you’re overdosing on magnesium, this is irresponsible advice. if that’s the only way to deal with these problems then keto has a lot to explain.

(Carpe salata!) #16

Thanks for not taking anything you read on the internet as pure gospel.

But magnesium has been used as a laxative since ever. 1 or 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt in water as a laxative (the ‘dose of salts’ home remedy) is, sure, about 10x the RDA for magnesium. But I do that occasionally as needed, not every day.

Don’t blame ‘keto’ for something I wrote about from my experience.

I don’t know what you mean.

Taking magnesium is one thing, but the reccommended amount is about 400mg, even on keto. That’s a far cry from almost ten times that amount! That’s hardly an insignificant difference by any standards.

I’m pretty sure a couple of teaspoons of Epsom isn’t the same concentration of magnesium, to say nothing of any potential effect on the gut biome that eating so much Epsome might have as well.

There is such a thing as too much magnesium

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #18

Here’s a study showing how eating no fiber helps with constipation and related issues: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #19

Magnesium overdose is overwhelmingly likely to be caused by renal failure rather than excessive intake. There are only a couple known instances of people with healthy kidneys becoming sick from ingestion, and those are after eating excessively large amounts in a single go.

(Allie) #20

The ZM6 (like ZMA but stronger) supplement I take at night to help with sleep / recovery contains 2100mg of magnesium. Jellybelly I’m afraid your info is not correct.