Am I doing something wrong?,,,

Thanks for reposting Fangs. It reminds me that stress/cortisol is likely a factor at play with my dawn phenomenon. I need to try to get better sleep.

Do you have sleep apnea? If so, it could have raised your level of cortisol, which in turn could explain the higher glucose levels. Naturally, your blood sugar levels increase at night time and are part of the circadian rhythm cycle. Prioritize sleep. I would suggest that the Carnivore Diet is not for you if the goal is to lower your glucose levels. With a CGM you should be able to test how your body deals with different foods and at different times. For example, only eat red meat for a short period of say 4-5 days. Switch to Fish and then chicken. What do the numbers say? If still high then maybe this way of eating is not for you.

ya know this is so true…when I don’t get my usual good shut eye I truly am off and feel it so yea it could and probably does effect your body and more…I so agree with you on that one. As much as I do sleep good, I still wish I slept better LOL

(Vic) #45

Hi paul,

I tested my blood shugar a few times on carnivore, years ago. I remember it was normal on the low side and always the same.

Never had any high blood shugar on keto or carnivore.

Why would dropping the 20gr of carbs from keto to carnivore raise blood shugar?
As I see it nearly everyone here is a carnivore with 20gr of carbs added. This little 20gr drop should not be very influential ?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

I don’t have an explanation. @richard might have one, though.

I wonder, however, how important that rise is. Dr. Paul Mason says in a recent interview that he is not so concerned with the absolute level of serum glucose, as he is with large fluctuations in the level. Having higher levels that don’t fluctuate too much is fine with him. I believe his reasoning is that avoiding insulin fluctuations is even more important than keeping glucose within an arbitrary range.

Another measurement to look at might be your HbA1C, which is a measure of how glycated your haemoglobin is. It’s not a perfect marker, but if it’s still low, that might be an indication that things are still well, despite the higher serum glucose.

(Craig Lloyd) #47

My last Hba1c was a little raised before I started carnivore,

OK as of Tomorrow I will cutout the coffee and salt ect just have the meat as u recommend

can’t wait to see what results happen for you, and remember, give it some time and let us know :slight_smile:

(Richard Morris) #49

One hallmark of type 2 diabetes is insulin resistance of the alpha cells of the pancreas that make glucagon. Glucagon signals the liver to make new sugar. Protein stimulates both insulin and glucagon. I’m pretty sure that the increase in blood sugar from eating fewer carbohydrates is all endogenous so you made it. It’s possible that in dropping 20g of carbs you increased protein, increased the signal to make new glucose but insulin wasn’t inhibiting glucagon secretion.

It might be worth testing for a week or so with less protein but higher fat (still carnivore) to see if that changes your blood glucose averages.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

Hey, Richard: what does lowering the protein do? I’ve read this before, but have never heard an explanation.

(Craig Lloyd) #51

I will, tbf for my meal tonight I had pork but added more fat and feel quite full, more so then normal which is weird

(Richard Morris) #52

:arrow_down: protein = :arrow_down: glucagon = :arrow_down: new glucose

In a type 2 diabetic insulin resistance in the pancreatic alpha cells means you also make double the amount of insulin to tap the break on glucagon. In a T2DM protein stimulates almost as much insulin as glucose does.

New glucose is normally produced on demand, in a type 2 diabetic the swings in response to anything stimulating glucagon can be varied.

(Linda ) #53

That’s what Dr Cywes had me do when he said I was eating to much protein for my body to process stops the body from being forced to make glucose…results were it dropped my fasting glucose and fasting insulin numbers and also helped push my triglycerides down and hdl up

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

Ah. Bikman says his research indicates that in the absence of dietary carbohydrate the insulin rise is matched by a concomitant rise in glucagon, leaving the insulin/glucagon ratio unchanged. Makes sense that might be different for diabetics.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #55

Food (protein) for thought

03%20AM

30%20AM

08%20AM

(Richard Morris) #56

Yeah that’s what I think is happening, it’s a race condition between insulin resistance at the peripherial cell taking in glucose, and insulin resistance at the alpha cell making glucagon. In an insulin sensitive person those are both at floor, so the rate limits are equivalent.