Am I doing keto right?

keto
newbies
fasting
food

(Brian ) #1

I started keto four days ago but I don’t feel any different aside from feeling full all day. No signs of keto flu. I weigh like 280 pounds and I started this diet to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle, but I don;'t know if I’m doing it right. I’m incorporating intermmitent fasting. Everyday I have brunch at 1 pm, scrambled eggs and bacon and like 20 pecans (30g) per day. the oils I use are ghee butter and coconut oil. I have dinner at 6 pm, usually t-bone or ribeye with asparagus or spinach and baby kale. That’s like 18 hours of fasting. I also make sure to use sea salt on my food and all I drink is water. I take fish oil supplements, 4-5 soft gels per day, 1000 mg fish oil, 300 mg omega 3s.
I do feel like my pants are a little bit loose but that could just be my imagination.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

How are you expecting to feel, realistically?
Are you tracking and keeping your carbs under 20g a day?

You’ve been at it 5 days - you need to give it some time. Meanwhile, read this : https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/juices-non-juice-journal-jottings/61706/785

(Brian ) #4

I expected to feel light headed or lethargic or something but nothing’s wrong with me. Yeah, I definitely keep it under 20 carbs.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

So because you feel fine, and don’t feel out of sort, you feel you aren’t doing Keto right? Lol. Look, we all get different results, I never experienced the keto flu and have never had a leg cramp in my life.

You are doing well. You could include some more information though. How tall/old are you? How much weight do you want to lose? Do you have any other questions that you need to clarify?

(mole person) #6

Not everyone feels poorly or gets keto flu. I never did, but my husband, who ate exactly the same foods, was horribly ill from it.

Count yourself lucky. It means that your electrolytes are not out of whack and that is a good thing. If you do start to feel a bit light-headed or dizzy just eat a bit of salt and drink plenty of water. Don’t worry about having too much salt. Many people here take over a teaspoon in excess of what they put on their food.

Your food sounds spot on to me, by the way. Just keep it going, you’re doing great. :slight_smile:

(Brian ) #7

I’m in my early twenties and I’m 5’10. My goal is to lose at least 100 pounds.

Just keep it up, some people don’t get the Keto flu, some get it bad. It works if you stick to it, I’ve lost 65 pounds in 6 months or so, about 20 more to go. Lost any weight yet? Feel less bloated?

(Jay Morris) #9

Your doing fine, regardless of the wonderfully stories of 3 day miracles in weight loss they are a rarity and not reality.
Keto is a long haul game, if it is effective for you, then your gonna have to expect that.

(Maria) #10

Sounds right to me. I just feel healthier, well being wise, and Ive got a ways to go. Just stopping processed sugar made a big difference to start.

(Cindy) #11

Aside for jonesing for sweet tea, I felt fine at the beginning, too. I’m prone to headaches any way (actually having fewer now, yeah!), but if I started to get a headache, I’d grab some electrolytes. It seemed to help. So no carb withdrawals.

But then, again, I haven’t yet felt some amazing energy increase. Some changes…feeling less achy in the joints, but no “Oh my gosh, I feel AMAZING!” type thing. But then, I think some people are more inclined to be dramatic. :wink:

(Maria) #12

I just got a two day headache and insomnia, but I was never a carb feaster beforehand. :roll_eyes: