Alzheimer’s = Type 3 Diabetes

(Steve Stephenson) #1

An email for an Alzheimer patient’s caregiver:
[begin mail…

Is Alzheimer’s Type 3 Diabetes?
by Mark Bittman, New York Times.

Diabetes causes complications too numerous to mention, but they include heart disease, which remains our No. 1 killer. And when the cells in your brain become insulin-resistant, you start to lose memory and become disoriented. You even might lose aspects of your personality.

In short, it appears, you develop Alzheimer’s.

A revealing book is Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar – Your Brain’s Silent Killers, by neurologist David Perlmutter, MD. Perlmutter says a standard diabetes test, the hemoglobin A1C, is also a great test for Alzheimer’s; get your A1C in the range 4.8% to 5.4% to treat brain neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s by eating the foods that reverse type 2 diabetes.

What do you eat to reverse type 2 diabetes? Dr. Sarah J Hallberg explains in her TEDxTalk, Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines (1,529,775 views).

My own story on Diet Doctor, and Diet Doctor’s How to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes.
… end mail]

(Dustin Cade) #2

after going through issues with my great grandfather I’m really hoping keto helps avoid that aspect of older life… I’d rather avoid it either by keto now… the alternatives are terrifying

(Jacquie) #4

I think it was this one. :slight_smile:

(Bacon for the Win) #6

Amy Berger also writes about T3 diabetes: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2014/08/Type-3-Diabetes.html

Mark Bittman is known for advertising his type of diet, which promoted whole grain breakfast (like oatmeal)…and termed it something like ‘no meat before noon’ type of eating protocol . He was also known as a CICO proponent. Has this changed? I noticed you quoted him in your post…so, I was surprised to see that. I wouldn’t think to go to Bittman for keto dietary advice. But…has he changed lately?

(Steve Stephenson) #8

Read his article:
Is Alzheimer’s Type 3 Diabetes?

My interest was in pointing out that Alzheimer’s = Type 3 Diabetes.

Oh yes, I did. And thanks for posting.

I certainly have no issues with adding a link of Bittman’s to this forum.

It was just a surprise…I am aware of his past food recommendations…and was wondering if he had a change of heart lately. That would be great news :grinning:

(Candace) #10

Loved reading your story, thank you for sharing! <3