Always hungry

(Deja vu) #1

As a person that has been on keto since June 2016 I have lost a lot of weight and feel much healthier. I remember how every one would say that after a while you won’t feel hungry. I have to say that is not true for every one. Early on I was ratting 4000+ calories of fat and protiene. I can honestly say on the keto diet even 2 years later that I still never fill full. But don’t give up. I have lost nearly 150 lbs in weight and look much more healthy. My blood stats look much better and I no longer have sleep apnea.

How do I do it? Every time I think I want to eat I think about how healthy I am now. I also have an old “fat me” picture on my fridge. The other trick I use is I drink lots of water.

I just wanted those like me that never fill full unless you have carbs that you can do it.

Congrats on your weight loss! That’s something in itself. … Can’t say much about never feeling full, but can understand how that could be hard to deal with. But remember what you’ve done already and keep going.

I know I have read somewhere on here, where it was mentioned that some people’s signals as to being satiated can get messed up, or using their term, ‘broken’. But I’m not sure if it was mentioned that this can be reversed? Hopefully so, but it seems you’ve been doing well in dealing with it.

(Christine) #3

I have this, but just recently my integrative doc suggested (bc my binging has been bad) I up my l-tyrosine to 2,500mg a day taken in a pre meal dose before breakfast and lunch and one in the afternoon. It’s only been a couple days, but I have had ACTUAL satiety signals. Like I WAS NOT HUNGRY and STOPPED EATING on my own.

Still this is all new so who knows if it continues, but fingers crossed and you can always give it a shot. It’s also helping my mood and thyroid or so I’m told.

(Deja vu) #4

Is that a thyroid medication? I don’t have a thyroid issue but I think I was a binge eater though I was never diagnosed as such. Even preketo I seldom felt full unless I ate a lot of carbs…

(Christine) #5

I am on naturthroid. L-tyrosine is an amino acid. It’s helpful for making neurotransmitters I believe? It’s like $10 for a bottle.

I’ve only just started googling. A retired functional doc had me on this and mentioned Dr. Kalish:
https://chknutrition.com/product/neuroreplete/

But it was A. Too fucking expensive and B. The vitamin C is grown on corn and I’m allergic to corn. (Or the mold on it or both)

This is what I found on some lazy googling of l-tyrosine and Binging:

http://www.eatingdisorderpro.com/2012/07/18/amino-acid-therapy/

The nice thing about amino acid therapy though is no side effects unless you want to count the grams of protein if you’re super sensitive for gluconeogenesis aka boood sugar problems.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

That’s really odd. Being on the diet for so long, you’d of been fat adapted many moons ago, which should definitely make a difference to your appetite.
Maybe it’s medication? No advice, just interested in the discussion.

(Deja vu) #7

I wish I had the answer. I think it has to do with binge eating in the past. I was taken off of my last medication about 9 months ago. I don’t think it’s caused by the medication. If there was a supplement that helped I would be very interested.

(Christine) #8

This has been the first time for me that I was full full. Like I eat through my signals so easily. It was actually off putting to try to have another bite. I have been Keto 3yrs. Still struggle with binging most of that time bc my relationship with food? Thyroid? Emotional BS? All of the above?

(Omar) #9

do you have IBS ?

I’m kinda the same as you. It always sounds so magically simple “eat to satiety”, but I don’t really know what that means. The one thing helpful thing I have noticed is if I s l o w dowwwwwn and really take time to chew and process then I will feel full (or sated or bored with eating or whatever you wanna call it) much sooner than if I eat quickly.

(Laura Neil Martinez) #11

Thank you, I needed to hear that. If I eat to 'full, I gain weight.

I am also never full. I don’t get that “stuffed” feeling unless I eat something really greasy/junky, which I never do on keto. One tip I can share is that after 5 months of overeating on keto, I finally decided to ignore my body’s fake hunger signals (which told me to eat all the time) and limit myself to 3 meals a day. If I felt hungry in between, I’d just have to power through. Within about a week of doing that, I found that I was no longer starving between meals. It seems to have helped regulate my eating. It’s probably not helpful to you if you already eat regular meals though…

(kim) #13

Does anyone know if there is an online Keto Diet Personal Advisor?
I would like someone who is very knowledgeable to advise me on a daily basis
as I am new to this and it is pretty complicated. I just started Aug 1 2018 and so I am four weeks in and every morning my ketone blood tester is only .2 and only gets up to .6 in the evening. I am being so strick on using myfitness pal and not letting my carbs go over 20Gm and my Proteins go over 60 grams. I very discouraged. I am not taking any supplements, but find I can’t to an 18 hour fast because I feel so light headed in the morning. I am going from 9pm to 9am on the fast but that is the longest I can go. I haven’t added any exercise yet and I am post menopausal. Were you ever able to get your ketones any higher? Any one else have any advise to get my ketone test higher?

(Christine) #14

Coaches I would trust:

Maria Emmerich:
http://keto-adapted.com/subscriptions/

Leanne Vogel: https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/shop/

Shawn Minor:
http://www.shawnmynar.com/resources/health-consulting/

They all have different takes on Keto so search their sites or podcasts to see who you like best.

(Katarina) #15

I’ve done keto for nearly a year now, and I’m in the same boat! I wake up starving in the mornings. I usually eat to my TDEE, around 2300 calories a day. I have reversed pre-diabetes and lost around 50 lbs, so keto it clearly working. I enjoy the food, but I never get how some people say they have lost their appetite and eat minimal calories.

(Deja vu) #16

I lost a lot of weight just by following the macros and not counting calories but as I said earlier I never feel full unless I totally pork out to the point I want to puke. It makes fasting very hard. It’s not imposable and I have done a few 2-3 day fasts (suffering all the time).

Back when I was super heavy fasting was not as hard because I would just think about those 2 large pizzas I would eat when I was done. Now that I’m eating more healthy I don’t have that. For me I feel a lot of it is psychological. Still I look better and feel a lot better. At 6’3" and 190 lbs, a lot of people don’t recognize me from more former fat days.

Still I wish there was a way to end the hunger. It would make keto so much easier.

(Christine) #17

Do you add lots of leafy greens each meal? That helps me sometimes. Right now I’m depressed so I’m having trouble eating. Only thing I’m losing is hair. I’ve been stalled a long Time bc of my food allergies. I keep eating them.