I’m thinking I may switch back to keto after over a month of ZC. Here are my thoughts…this is basically a conscious stream of thoughts, so bear with me.
I don’t feel very different on ZC, aside from not being bloated (which is fab). But, I think I’d like to try adding foods back in to see what causes bloating and what doesn’t. I’m reading the Plant Paradox now and he talks about lectins being the cause of inflammation - nightshades, vegetables with seeds, for example (cucumbers, tomatoes, etc).
I like not restricting protein to 75 grams on ZC, so I may bump that - but if I do, I’d eat much less protein than I’m eating now.
I would like to add things back like olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and nuts (in small quantities).
The big reasons I’m feeling this way are:
- I’ve gained 3 lbs in the last 40 days - everyone in the ZC communities say that it’s normal to gain weight at first and that it can take some people months, if not years, to start actually losing weight. Honestly, I don’t think I can deal with the emotional rollercoaster of that over the next 6 months to a year.
- It feels a bit like I’m not living life. I mean, look - what you eat doesn’t make your entire life, but when you are so limited, it really does affect every situation. I get stressed out about the idea of going out to eat, feeling like I need to check out the menu and make sure I can find something. We have a few vacations planned (Hawaii, potentially Australia) and I’m already thinking about how to stay ZC. Restricting so much also feels like I’m not going to immerse myself in the culture when I vacation as well. Food may not be the point of life, but we can’t deny that it’s a big part of every culture.
- Social situations - I went to Mexico last weekend for my 35th birthday and spent a LOT of time thinking about food, instead of just being with my friends. Also…not eating guacamole in Mexico is a special kind of torture! Also, eating 14oz of meat in one sitting is…embarrassing. I feel the need to explain to people that it’s the ONLY thing I eat, and allegedly it’s going to make me healthier and thinner. You know? I realize I shouldn’t feel that way, but I do.
I have some client meetings coming up next week where I’m taking clients to dinner and honestly, I don’t want to be THAT person. Keto is easy to explain - ZC, not so much.
- I like that on keto, I can go off plan for a meal and it’s not the end of the world. If i know I’m going to eat some bread or something, I can do a big workout the day of to deplete glycogen and I can do a big workout the day after, and I’m back in ketosis. The ZC community is much stricter and the general feeling is that eating anything off-plan puts you back at square one.
Editing to add:
- I could fast on straight keto and I haven’t had any natural inclination to fast on ZC, oddly.
All this to say…if I had some results to show after this month or so of ZC, I would deal with all of the above without issue. But, without any tangible or visible results, it’s really hard to want to stick with it. …but I also don’t want to give up on it too soon.
Okay - that’s my rant for the day. I’ll mull it over some more and see how I feel before adding any keto foods back in. Either way, I won’t be doing any fat bombs or coconut/almond flour baked goods; if I add foods back in, I’ll do it one at a time and they’ll be mainly other healthy fats and some green vegetables.
If there’s anyone out there who has done ZC and gone back to keto, please let me know how it went!