Alternate Day Fasting turned ZC...back to fasting

fasting
exercise
cycling
intermittentfasting

(Sonia A.) #121

I feel your pain, because keto didn’t help me lose weight either. But I’m lucky to be able to lose with fasting. I hope you find soon the one tweak that will unlock the door to your fat loss. Sometimes the few months without weight loss is the time your body needs to balance hormones.

Don’t forget that the stories you’re talking about are from obese people who lose a lot of weight as soon as they abandon the SAD diet. As far as I understand, you seem to be almost at your desired weight. It will take longer for someone like you, but it’ll happen. Don’t be discouraged.

(KCKO, KCFO) #122

Keep hanging in there Andrea. You do have a few good NSV.

I’ll be continuing following your n=1.

(Adam Kirby) #123

Ok I’m gonna be the complete heretic here, but why don’t you experiment with a low fat/high carb diet? At least for weight loss. Something with real food, no processed sugar crap. You might be one of the people who literally responds better on high carb… these people do exist! Perhaps you can lose weight with HCLF and come back to keto for the other benefits while maintaining the reduced weight.

(What The Fast?!) #124

I’ve done that as well. Same thing, no weight loss. I didn’t have as many bathroom issues though.

(James storie) #125

I think you are just really good at being human! You would last a lot longer during a famine than most! I’m in the same boat! Frustrating though.

(Linda Culbreth) #126

Are you taking any probiotics? They might help with the gut issues…

(Carpe salata!) #127

On the same track, what is the BMI? That can be a bit higher when you have a lot of muscle which it sounds like you do. Could you be at an ideal weight already?

(What The Fast?!) #128

@Peter Had a DEXA, I’m 31.5% BF.
@jamestorie you bet I would!!
@justme girl, I have tried EVERYTHING. I take the highest probiotic in the store.

(Carpe salata!) #129

Ahhhh ok. The DEXA does not lie. KCKO. :slight_smile:

(Zu) #130

I have been ADF pretty much 90% of the time (unless sick, traveling or doing a longer 30 day fast and re-feeding after said fast) - since 2012 so It will be going on 6 years very soon - So thats quite some time.

And I actually love it. I dont have a weight problem and I can pretty much eat what I like… I have only just started formal keto but I have been instinctively keto for about 3 years.

you will love it. You will feel weird eat everyday… it feels creepy after a while and I actually abhor eating frequently. I sometimes just have a cup of coconut oil, then continue on my fast… which is nice, other times broth…

The worst thing is when somehow you fall into the trap of eating a nasty carby meal… it throws the whole thing out of sync for about a week… you need a good week to re-set each time I say…
My fasts were 24-36 hours, I usually do some form of exercise even if light.

(Zu) #131

I can relate to you. People who are bigger have the easiest time with weightloss… and they think its easy for people who may only want to loose 2-5kg… when in fact its actually harder the closer you get to your goal weight… notice how on weight watcher success ads they never show a perfectly svelt slim women, but an ever so very slightly cuddly, voluptuous women… who still looks sensational compared to her old weight… MY theory is because those last 5kg that would put her into perfect body status are so blasted hard to loose!

Thats why I always float at either 2kg too skinny or a kg or two over… and to stay at FIFTY-FLIPPING-TWO KG is like mission impossible. even after 6 years of ADF… So i accept that 53, 54 or 51 is the closest I will get… they are just numbers.
and good for you focusing on BF% rather than the scales. your body is probably making your gorgeous on a cellular level inside out… maybe a creepy old cell dies, and in its place a shiny new pretty one appears

(Zu) #132

Im so baffled… If you burned 2000k then why isnt the weight shifting… I really want to know this…I have done similar experiments (running 18km a day while fasting) and nothing happened but weight GAIN… I think you may find the answer in something called glycogenSUPERcompensation… for every g of glycogen in your liver it snatches 3-4g of water, and also stores some in your muscles along with water… and when you deplete the dailights out of your stores you teach it to only be greedier and store more glycogen in your liver and muscles for next time, thus supercompensating… your protein may be converting to glycogen in a super compensatory way - hence no weight loss… your body is just scared that you will drain all the glycogen again, so it is hoarding is the next time is gets a source - such as protein.

This is the only thing I came up with because it happened to me too. silly glycogen… doesnt our liver know we like to burn fat and not store glycogen!!!

(What The Fast?!) #133

Interesting. I do find my BG goes up after a workout. I’ll start testing more consistently to see if that’s the case.

(Zu) #134

It normally happens 36 hours post glycogen drain… Esp if you eat carbs you can gain 5lb in that time… Beefo dumbo bodybuilders do it on purpose to make their vein dumbo muscles look big and pumped… WOOW they are so cool not:muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

(What The Fast?!) #135

But I’m eating Zero Carb.

(Zu) #136

I know right… but what about ifff the draw on your body’s glycogen in the process of super compensation is triggering a large amount of that protein to be turned onto glycogen?
I have no idea… but I have seen this before and I was dumbfounded too.

My understanding is exercise stimulates release of glucagon which raises bg, but doesnt have a huge impact on insulin. Maybe someone who is better at understanding science-y stuff can chime in. Attached is an abstract about it.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9101062

(Adam Kirby) #138

Have you actually tried giving up exercise for a while? It sounds like you do a ton of it, you may be creating stress responses in the body that want to conserve energy.

(Linda Culbreth) #139

Check your sweeteners - even the artificial ones spike up your insulin. Have you cut them all out? just a possibility to help…

(What The Fast?!) #140

@justme I cut them out when I started ZC 28 days ago.
@akirby83 I’ve reduced to just yoga and cycling now. Nothing super high stress.