Alternate Day Fasting turned ZC...back to fasting

fasting
exercise
cycling
intermittentfasting

(What The Fast?!) #261

Y’all…you know you’re tough when you are in the middle of a fast and make someone a bacon and goat cheese omelet…

(Beth) #262

You’re such a rock star! I love feeling like food doesn’t have such a hold on me.
Thank you for the update on your vacation. That really gives me hope and more conviction that this approach makes weight management achievable.
Wish me luck: tomorrow I start an extended fast, going for 4 days. My energy really drops after 48 hours, and that’s hard for me to manage with my work obligations. I have a few days off so I am going to use them to push past that wall. I really want to get in a few longer fasts between now and Christmas!!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #263

You might see another drop in your weight. I always skip weighing myself after airline travel. It always seems to cause water retention. After a couple of days on the ground you might see another drop. It is great that you stayed the same while eating well and traveling. That happened to me on my Alaska trip in Aug. and a few days later I was down a couple of lbs. as well. Hoping you see that happening with your body too.

(CharleyD) #264

I just bought a brick of the Kerrygold Dubliner, and no regerts, just ate the whole thing.
New tradition for Wallyworld, let’s get all the imported cheese!

Until today, my poison was Cabot Seriously Sharp. They’ve got competition now! Discipline just poofed.

@KetoLikeaLady The suspense is killing me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: How did your IDM consult go?

@KetoLikeaLady Yes, please tell us!

(What The Fast?!) #267

Hey @MelTar and @Madeleine
It was a short call, just talking about my experience so far. She explained the program and that was about it.

I said…so it’s basically a support group, right? And she said yes. The groups are small at just 4 people, so each person gets about 10 min to share. She said after the first 4 sessions, you can split up the weeks however you like. For example, if you buy 12 sessions, you have to attend the first 4 weeks in a row and then you can go every other week or every few weeks, etc.

So basically $750 USD for 12 weeks, $950 for 18 weeks, I think $1159 for 24 weeks. I’m equatung it to paying for a therapist. I’m still debating though. You also get access to 5 hours of training videos.

I asked if I needed to do longer fasts and she said that 3-5 day fasts should be sufficient. I asked if it was better to do two 3 day fasts or one 6 day and she said to go straight through. She also said that coffee and tea are fine for weight loss, but if I want autophagy, I need to do just water and salt. (I’d forgotten that from reading the books.) I was thinking that fasting was helping my scarred chest skin but I guess not because of coffee! Bummer!

I also asked about dry fasting (I’m in a FB group that promotes dry fasting for tightening loose skin) and she said not a great idea.

I think that’s all!

@collaroygal glad to be back! I gained a few lbs after my first meal home, then lost them back, still up a bit (144.4 but I expect that’s water retention from a workout). Still having :poop: problems though…had quite a painful experience yesterday. I think I need to figure out how to get more soluble fiber in my diet.

(Doug) #268

Ouch. Wow, Andrea, I’d never heard that…

(What The Fast?!) #269

I wasn’t sure if I read and forgot it, or if I hadn’t heard it. Bummer, right!

(Doug) #270

Andrea, any chance that they meant coffee with carbs added? What I see in searching around is that coffee/tea does not hamper autophagy, and may even encourage it.

“We show that both natural and decaffeinated brands of coffee similarly rapidly trigger autophagy in mice.”

And of course mice and not humans…

(What The Fast?!) #271

Hmm, I don’t know! I do add a tbsp of cream or a tsp of MCT oil. She said coffee or tea, but I guess she could have been wrong.

I wonder if the MCT oil is fine since there are no carbs.

(KCKO, KCFO) #272

Andrea, I found this about stopping autophagy in Fung’s book. If the tea or coffee has nothing to increase glucose, insulin, or proteins, it should not disrupt the autothagy process.

Increased levels of glucose, insulin, and proteins all turn off autophagy. And it doesn’t take much. Even as little as 3 grams of the amino acid leucine can stop autophagy. Here’s how it works: The mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway is an important sensor of nutrient availability. When we eat carbohydrates or protein, insulin is secreted, and the increased insulin levels, or even just the amino acids from the breakdown of ingested protein, activate the mTOR pathway. The body senses that food is available and decides that since there’s plenty of energy to go around, there’s no need to eliminate the old subcellular machinery. The end result is the suppression of autophagy.

Fung, Jason; Moore, Jimmy. The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended (p. 152). Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

I would think black coffee, green tea, black teas all without dairy would be ok. The no coffee really didn’t sound like anything I have heard Jason Fung or Megan speak about interesting that someone in their program gave you that guidance.

I have heard both of them say dry fasting is not the best way to fast and they monitor dry fasters very closely.

(What The Fast?!) #273

I don’t love black coffee, I wonder if a little MCT would stop it. Since there’s no carbs or protein, probably not?

Yes there is no way I can go without the caffeine black coffee while not appealing would be ok. Tea probably better. Thomas Seyfried does say autophagy for cancer prevention it is a 6 or 7 day distilled water only once a quarter or something like that

Andrea, I know you’ve already gotten other responses on this but FWIW - I don’t think anyone quite knows about when and how autophagy kicks in, and it might be that there are factors that we just don’t yet understand. There’s someone on here who finished up a really long (3 months?) fast and had terrific results including a substantial drop in weight and mentioned that at 60, her skin is firmer than it was before (so not only no drooping skin from the weight loss, but firmer?!). I’m pretty sure she had coffee and a supplement but I’m not positive.

(What The Fast?!) #276

Ooh! Does anyone know who that was??? I’d love to know if she was having any cream or MCT/coco in her coffee!!!

Hmmm… I don’t remember, though maybe she’ll see this thread? I’ll dig around. It was in the past month.
But I’m almost positive that if she was having coffee, it wasn’t with any fats in it.

Found it! Here’s the thread, and her first post is 118, I think.
(And it looks like actually there was some cream in her coffee :slightly_smiling_face:

(What The Fast?!) #279

Thanks!!!

(What The Fast?!) #280

Alright people…ready for a new twist? After 7 weeks of mainly fasting, I’ve decided to mix it up with……The Bacon Experiment! http://www.bacon4free.com/optin

I just read about this in another thread and decided to try it out. Basically, you eat 1.5lbs of bacon a day (2lbs for men) and nothing else. Well, I’m getting kind of mediocre results (considering how much I’m fasting) with extended fasting, so why not try this? If I can continue to lose AND I get to eat bacon, I’m all in!

I’ll continue do intermittent fasting along with the experiment and see if I can drive some results! If I plateau, I could try throwing in a 2 or 3 day fast and then bacon in between? Let’s get crazy people!

Christmas and New Year’s Eve are right around the corner so I’m willing to try nearly anything at this point!

I was in the middle of a couple day fast (about 22 hours in) and decided to go for it. I just made a pound of bacon (pre-cooked weight) and I can tell you a couple things definitively:

1. It’s way better than not eating, haha
  2. I REALLY love bacon - like, I know people say they think they’d get sick of it, but I dunno…I really like it.
  3. The bacon I just made was oven baked…turns out I strongly prefer it in a pan.
  4. I can definitely eat more than a pound of bacon in one sitting. I only had 1lb in the house, but tomorrow I’ll for sure make 1.5 lbs.

Wish me luck!

December IF/EF chat - all welcome!