Almost 6 weeks Keto and no weight loss :(

Enjoy those victories! Brighter and leaner sounds good to me. Just because the scale doesn’t do what you want doesn’t mean you aren’t healing and getting stronger inside. Good luck!

(traci simpson) #16

Just note mentioning, your 1pm meal doesn’t seem like a lot of food. Are you full after eating that or do you feel like you could eat a bit more?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #17

This doesn’t look like a whole lot of food.
Can you please post the totals for your macros and calories?

I agree.

I also agree with your naturopath about the exercise. I’m not saying “no cardio,” but moderate cardio and muscle building activities (walking, gardening, kayaking, golfing, etc. and weight lifting or bodyweight exercises) are much better for weight loss and overall health than chronic cardio. Some short, high-intensity bursts every week or two can be a better alternative.

it depends on the day. if i’m still hungry I will usually get a salad or eat a bar that has 4 net carbs. Today I had tuna with mayo and Flackers.
Some days I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast. It all depends on if i’m hungry or not.

I use an app to track my macros. When I enter my age, weight and height it always gives me way more calories than I need.
20g net carbs (some days i’m under, some days i’m right at 20, and a few I go over)
the App set my calories to 2500, but I never go that high. I usually am about 1300-1800calories
fat is 157 g per day, but I usally get about 100
protein is 126g per day, but I usually get around 50 or 60g

Apps and online calculators are really just general estimates, I agree, but why do you think 2500 calories is “way too many” for you? It actually sounds just about right for maintenance for someone of your age, height, and weight doing heavy cardio workouts a few times a week. Of course, you don’t want to be in maintenance, you want to lose weight, so you need to be a bit lower, sure.

But 1300/day is going to put the breaks on your metabolism. Lots of people find that if they under eat, they don’t lose weight. You should be easily losing fat at a steady pace at 1800 calories (some people might be losing weight eating more than that).

My other concern is that you’re not getting adequate protein, especially for someone who works out as much as you do. The best estimate is something like .8g to 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. You can calculate this from an estimate of your BF%. Some people like the easier calculation of 1g to 1.5g of protein per kilo of total bodyweight. Both of those estimates put you somewhere around the 100g to 125g of protein/day. There’s also a link to a nice chart at Virta Health in this thread: Virta Health - How Much Protein on Keto. Whichever method you choose, if you work out a lot, as you do, you want to be towards the higher end of the ranges. It’s also pretty hard to overeat protein–“high” protein is really something like over 175g/day (unless you’re a competition athlete).

I’d keep tracking for a while to see how changes in how much you’re eating effect you (and to arm you with some info to make further tweaks), but for now:

1. Keeps carbs very low
  2. Get adequate protein

Get whatever balance of energy you need and want from fat and make sure you’re not under eating. If you’re at all hungry, eat!

(traci simpson) #21

According to my tracker, I’m supposed to have 1900calories a day but I keep falling short. My dinner is always under 1,000 because I’m paranoid about going to bed after eating a heavy meal but I’m not losing weight so I either have to eat more and stay up later I guess.

Eating late always means I somehow put on 3 lbs. over night. I’ve been trying to eat much earlier, but it’s a hard habit to change–plus you know, life doesn’t always let you eat dinner at 6pm.

(Marianne) #23

Agreed; I keep mine at usually around 10, although I’m not a huge veggie fan, so it’s not difficult.

(Marianne) #24

Hmmm; looking at your menu, I don’t think you are getting enough fat.

Can you try eating 3x/day for like one week?

B
2 eggs cooked in butter
2 link sausage or bacon

L
Egg/chicken/tuna salad w. mayo
couple pieces of bacon

D
fatty meat (pork steak, fatty cheeseburger, chicken thighs w. blue cheese, etc.)
broccoli or zucchini, etc., with butter
couple pieces of bacon

For me, after a short while of eating 3x/day and getting enough fat, I had natural aversion to eating that often. Went to two meals a day and for a long time now, only OMAD, plus weekly fasting.

Good luck! How do you feel physically?

(Paige) #25

This seems as if it could be something more serious then just not being able to lose weight, but in reality you should be losing weight from making those life changes. ALTHOUGH, since I have done extensive research and written multiple articles on weight loss and different weight loss techniques and the research behind it I can tell you one thing.
Burning more calories then what you put in = weight loss. Thats about it. So restricting calories through food or through extensive exercise are basically the only ways weight loss works.
I don’t have a list of what you eat on a daily basis, unless you would like to share that information with me, then I would love to access and give you some feedback. With this information we can either conclude that you are eating way too much (which doesn’t mean unhealthy eating, there are loads of health foods that are high in caloric value such as nuts, seeds, avocado, and such) or you have a health condition of some sort where you are not able to lose weight affectively.
Yes these actually exist. There are many people in this world that have an extremely difficult time losing weight and most likely never will no matter how healthy they eat and it is not the fault of their lifestyle. But for some of those medical conditions, medications are an option and medical professional advice can be very helpful as well.
Its always good to ask a medical professional when you are having problems such as this because it is effecting your life and you should be losing weight with such drastic lifestyle changes. If you have time, reply back with a normal day of eating for you and don’t skimp on any snacks or liquid calories that you are drinking.
Also another tip, I would start calorie tracking with a tracker like myfitnesspal. I think it will really help you understand what you are eating. Because it will show you if you are actually burning enough calories in response to what you are taking it. Because as we now know its 80% food and 20% exercise that bases how you are losing weight.
Hope the best for you!

(Paige) #26

I actually just saw what you eat on a daily basis in another response, I’m sorry for my not realizing.
You are not eating enough for your weight AT ALL, which makes me believe that you are somehow eating more then you are letting on (such as snacking you don’t count in or other liquid calories you don’t count in) OR your metabolism is extremely slow for some reason.
There are also other medical conditions or lifestyle choices that can make a persons metabolism be slow.
I am half your size and shorter then you and eat way more on a daily basis, I would be starving myself if I ate as much as you (i do work out as much as possible, but that still doesn’t make a difference because our difference in weight and height).
I can conclude that there may be something wrong with your metabolism and it is most likely medical. I am not a professional so I can’t make any sort of diagnosis for you but I would go in and get tested for different sort of conditions that effect weight in general and metabolism. High estrogen makes sense, but I haven’t quite heard of it being that difficult to lose weight with high estrogen, especially with the amount of effort you are putting it.
I hope for the best again and I really recommend you check these possible problems out so you can start crossing possible problems off the list.

(traci simpson) #27

So true! especially since I don’t get off work until 5. I’m extremely frustrated at this point.

Is there any way you could eat a bigger lunch and a lighter dinner? That’s really supposed to make a difference, too. Instead of the typical American light lunch and big dinner, I try to at least eat two meals about the same size and I’ve gotten pretty good at that–after years of practice. I still have some effort to make lunch my main meal and dinner more snack-like.

(traci simpson) #29

It’s been so hot outside that turning on the stove makes me want to die!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #30

I hear that. What about a crock pot meal?
Or coming a batch of meat/food early in the week so you have something that only needs hearing , or could be added cold to a salad?

(traci simpson) #31

Well my air went out Saturday night and wasn’t fixed until Monday evening so I’m behind on my cooking. I had to come home from work and cook for today and today I have to cook for tomorrow. What I made isn’t satiating to me.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #33

Yeah, that’s no fun.
Cooking is a never ending thing for me. In the winter I do crock pot meals, but currently I’ve just been baking chicken, even though it heats up the house. Still not enough for regular leftovers though.

(traci simpson) #34

I like cooking on Sundays or Mondays for the week and since I only eat TMAD it lasts a bit longer with the exception of casserole dishes. I can eat a lot of that so I try not to make too many per week.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #35

I cook for my husband and 3 of 4 kids (the baby doesn’t eat regular table food yet) so food goes quickly