Allulose? Has anyone heard of it?

(Dustin Bowen) #1

I just picked up a Quest bar this morning. The label is claiming that Allulose does not impact blood sugar. Some quick hits on google seem to go along with that. I guess my n=1 will tell this afternoon :slight_smile:. I did see this post https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/quest-keto-products-thoughts/6136?u=dustin_bowen regarding some of Quest’s new products but saw no mention of Allulose. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this allegedly “safe” sweetener?

Here is their breakdown of Net Carbs for the Quest Bar:

29g Carbs
(10g) fiber
(11g) Allulose
(4g) Erythritol
4 Net Carbs

Ingredient list:
Protein Blend (milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate), Soluble Corn Fiber (prebiotic fiber), Allulose, Palm Kernel Oil, Erythritol, Water, Butter, Almonds, Natural Flavors, Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Baking Soda, Palm Oil, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Sunflower Lecithin.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Found this:

Fermented corn is the source. It is also referred to as pseudofructose, I think I would give that a pass personally YMMV.

Xylitol, Allulose, and insulin
(Pj Glassey) #3

Here’s my n=1 results: My blood sugar went from 78 (fasted) to 105 in about 40 minutes from eating 1 Quest bar (most recent formula).

(Louise Magarrell) #4

Those are interesting results but I would have reacted to the erythritol and the whey isolate as well so it is difficult to pinpoint allulose. It may be worth narrowing it down or you may already know how you react to those other things. I’m interested in experimenting with allulose myself as most other sweeteners affect me.

This is the point you should have stopped reading and walked away.

Allulose gives me cramps, bloating, gas, and abdominal pain. After a week or so of eating snack bars that uses Allulose as the sweetener, these symptoms developed. Eating one bar seemed to give me no problems, and for several days ate 2 or 3 bars per day. It’s too bad, but I threw the rest of my bars into the trash. Then I fasted for 24 hours.