All about Salt Tablets

(Charndra Pile) #1

Hiya,
I have done a search and found information here and there within topics, but all scattered.
Following on from the recent Obesity Code Podcast mentioning these for the first time (to me), I have bought some.
They are Himalayan salt tablets, for ‘sport’ purposes.
They contain Potassium Bicarbonate 889mg, Magnesium Carbonate 667mg and Pink Himalayan Salt 444mg. 2 capsules = 2000mg.
I also have The Salt Fix on the way in the mail, and have listened to every podcast I can find about it.
However, I am currently unsure how many I should take, and when. I’ve taken 3 - 4 in the morning.
I am also fairly sure I am feeling much calmer, more relaxed and am sleeping better since taking them!
I was particularly interested in how too low salt blasts up one’s stress hormones, and it’s role in insulin resistance. My Fasting Insulin is too high (14), I can only think as a result of it’s circular properties of IR causing IR, plus I injected it for 3 months when I had GDM 4 years ago.
I’m doing regular IF and extended fasts up to 4-5 days. I don’t start losing until day 4!
Interested in your experiences and what works for you.

(Donna ) #2

After reading your post, I ordered The Salt Fix on Kindle. Thanks!
Can’t wait to get started reading it! :smiley:

(Allie) #3

I just make my own capsules with a mix of pink Himalayan salt and Celtic grey salt. Much cheaper and really easy.

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

I love these!

(Erin Macfarland ) #5

@Shortstuff the nice thing about these is they have magnesium and potassium in addition to the salt.

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

@Chthulhu I take two of these per day, then add salt to my water and salt my food throughout the day. I do not do long fasts, usually IF for 16 to 20 hours every day, but I am athletic and these help with muscle cramps and with getting enough potassium. I only take two because I take additional magnesium and too much magnesium can lead to…digestive upset ! But these are fantastic because you get a nice balance of minerals

The Salt Fix is a great book, required keto reading really.

I supplement my sodium by drinking ketoade everyday. I actually made my own lite salt by mixing pink salt with potassium chloride (lots of math first of course). I add that and some Calm magnesium powder to a bottle of carbonated water. It’s actually quite tasty I think.

Those capsules seem convenient although the ratios seem to be more for athletes and sugar burners. Just eyeballing their contents I’m thinking up to 4 per day should be fine. That changes though based on if you are supplementing potassium and magnesium in addition to these salt capsules.

(Mark Rhodes) #8

I think the Dudes would agree, the intro changed slightly to include SALT after Dr D from the Salt Fix was on.

(Allie) #9

The mix of salts that I use contain those naturally @Emacfarland

(Erin Macfarland ) #10

Gotcha!

I just finished reading the Salt Fix. Good info in there. For the past 5-6 days, I’ve been increasing my salt by drinking a beverage made of 1 tbsp organic tamari and hot water. This has replaced my morning caffeine routine. I’ve definitely noticed an increase in energy and motivation to move.

A downside is that I’ve noticed some water retention around my middle. Anyone know whether the water retention will eventually dissipate if I just keep doing what I’m doing?

I see Dr. D was just on the Primal Blueprint podcast, I’ll be checking that out soon.

(Charndra Pile) #13

From the podcasts with Dr D I’ve listened to, salt isn’t the cause of the retention, it’s a salt myth- what causes it is the IR or something else.
While waiting for the book to arrive, there is a Biohackers podcast with Dr D, the LLVLC one (ads drive me bonkers on that show!) and the one by the dudes that I heard first. All have slightly different bits of information.

(Charndra Pile) #14

Absolutely. Plus I make Keto Ade as well.
The point of the tablets was for those who just don’t like the taste of salt pinches all day, or in water, and for a change!

(Jen) #15

Thank you for posting this! I have been searching for something like this for a few days now. Four months on keto and I can’t seem to get my electrolytes under control and I HATE salting everything like crazy. I do it because I need to, but I don’t enjoy the flavor at all.

Ordering now! Thanks again!

(Allie) #16

That’s why I make the caps. I don’t like the salty taste. Never tried the ketoade because the ingredients for it aren’t available in the UK.

(Charndra Pile) #17

This book has blown my mind.

1. I’m losing salt via these avenues:
  • following a low-carb keto diet (knew that, supplemented)
  • intermittent fasting (knew that, supplemented)
  • extended fasting (knew that, supplemented)
  • caffeine (sporadic intake, am always looking to reduce, but this affords me with salt-deficient days)
  • the antidepressant tablet I am on. (Had NO idea these caused salt depletion)
  • a recent general anaesthesia. (No wonder that night I snapped and ate pepperoni pizza and other salty stuff with the family instead of my regular food!)
  • my hyperinsulinaemia.
  1. Insulin resistance looks to be an evolutionary adaptation to salt depletion.

So, I’m doing the right things, but am probably severely salt depleted - salt tastes salty, anxiety, dry tongue, headaches when fasting…

I’ve got a kit from the Ancient Lakes on the way, and after trying to fast unsuccessfully for more than 16-18 hours this week, I’m going to seriously up my intake to what the research studies in the book show gives fast relief - and boost magnesium and potassium at the same time, see what happens. Today I had 4 salt capsules, salted all my water bottles a LOT, salted my food, and only had a mild headache.

I’m trying to insert a page…

(Allie) #18

It is such an insightful book, I’ve just lent my copy to a friend at work. Many people like to add a pinch of salt to coffee, I do it sometimes.

(Charndra Pile) #19

Salt in coffee - I’ve been trying it that way, seems fine for me.
I must admit to coffee ignorance. My hubby? knows all, has a special machine etc. (Don’t tell anyone, but International Roast tastes fine to me). I don’t have any though, I just would have one without freaking out, LOL! My hubby is a super-taster, I most definitely am not, most things I am happy with, whereas he is always tweaking recipes for perfection- I think they already are!

(Charndra Pile) #20

I agree. I’m bummed that I think it would help my Mum, but she’s totally not interested in anything I have to say, as I’m still fat I guess, even though it’s based on SCIENTIFIC evidence. Then again, that’s important to me, but other people, not so much…