Alarming weight gain

(Jocelyne Slattery) #101

Thank you, I will listen to this on my way home from work. I love being keto AND doing IF and EF. I have healed my fibromyalgia and feel great (no more meds). Now I want to reach my weight goal.

(Nasir) #102

Any update on your situation @gabe?

(Jocelyne Slattery) #103

Great podcast! Thank you. I am beginning to think that my extremely slow metabolism is the cause. I have to experiment with fat and protein.

(Edith) #104

Glad you found it useful. :grinning:

(matt) #105

I just read the whole thread and i have to say it shocks me that peolpe still eat without tracking their calories.

One fact that stays above all is that if your burn 3000 kcal a day and only eat 2500 kcla a day you will lose weight…doesen’t matter if keto or not.
First:
Gabe track exactly what you eat so that you are sure you are not above the 30gr Carbs a day.

Second: you need to find out how many Kcal you burn a day, here is an good calculator: https://mealpreponfleek.com/macro-calculator/
If you are still gaining than you need to go lower with your calories.

third:
What kind of protein you take? if you take whey protein…than there should be the first fault… whey spikes insulin therefore puts a hold ti fat burn. gaining a bit during weight training is normal but you should track it.

Remember guys and that counts for everybody doing keto…keto just switches to the source bodyfat…but if you take to much fat or just say eat to many calories, your body will use the fat from the daily calories and will not take the enrgy from the bodyfat. you should not get fat but you don’t lose either…in this case i can only guess that something spikes…therfore track what you eat.

Also very important…Protein from dairy products like whey etc can be transformed into carbs in the small intestine. Not everybody but some people have different bacterias in their intestine…it’s called gluconeogenesis.

(Adam Foard) #106

@gabe I know this thread has been quiet for a few years now, but I’m having some of the same issues. Was curious if you were ever able to pin down the problem.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #108

Yeah so about a year and a half ago, I went onto a fairly strict protocol as detailed in this thread: How I broke my 3.5 year stall

That helped me drop about 5-6kg (even more, at some points). However, recently I’ve found the weight creeping back up. Here’s the last 5 years or so of weight, tracked:

The recent weight gain has mainly resulted from a reversion away from the strict protocol. I’m still eating low carb, but I’ve allowed myself cream coffees, alcohol at night, and some fruit. The cream and the alcohol have been mostly to blame.

I intend to go back to the strict protocol shortly. Stay in touch, and check out that “stall broken” thread I linked above. Let me know if it helps.

Unfortunately, all diets seem to be like that: with the years, you have to become more and more strict to keep losing, or at least maintain your weight. It’s like they’ve found out studying the folks from the biggest losers.

Some people add long fasts to try to deal with the problem. Some just settle for the weight their bodies can maintain without too many sacrifices, instead of the weight they first thought they’d get down to.

Hi Gabe, I am wondering, if this isn’t more about the body becoming too used to your WOE and exercise level, and adapts to this, thereby causing a stall, that this is what happens when eventually one is introduced to the weight loss plateau or stall. Dr Fung tells you to keep your body guessing, to switch up your routine, perhaps it is because of this? My own weight fluctuates between 50-52 kg and I am only short, 5.2, my only IF consists of generally not eating after 17.00-18.00pm. And that’s more because I don’t believe in late night eating. Fasting, although it’s interesting to me, I generally don’t do, but always eat to satiety. Because I can’t eat a lot of protein without feeling over-stuffed, I tend to eat a lot of cream instead, as that is my go to fat source, other than fatty cuts of meat, pork belly and bacon being my favourites.

I am thinking in your case though, it is possible the steroids you were on might have affected your metabolic health/rate so that even when you went off them, the effect of that was still there? And that you’ll be able to heal from that in time. Medications are funny that way. They can mess with insulin, cortisol, cause water weight gain, etc. Then again stress can do the same. These were just my thoughts, I’m in no way an expert. Hope this settles for you.