Air Fryer?

(Megan Wasserman) #1

anyone use an air fryer for anything? Wondering if it would be good for prepping any food.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EZAOHO0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CZ8AD3XXR6ZP&colid=1EJIODO05GQVR&psc=1

(Mike W.) #2

I just use a deep fryer instead. Get more fat that way.

(Holly Easterling) #3

I got one for Christmas and love it. Despite the name, it’s not really a fryer; it’s a convection oven. It’s super easy and much safer than a fryer if you have kids who cook. So far it’s great for wings and for veggies (toss in butter after).

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #4

We bought an air fryer when my husband was having gall bladder issues. It was a lot of fuss to get a decent result. We ended up returning it. Now that I am keto, I want the fat. If you really do deep frying lots and lots then go for it. I don’t deep fry enough to justify the space it would take up in my kitchen.

(Chris) #5

Had a coworker bring in a hunk of prime rib he cooked in his. Looked like he got a nice sear/crust on it.

I don’t think I’d ever buy one, but if I already had one, I’d play around. The convection oven statement is correct

My toaster oven has a convection setting which I’ve never used. But when I saw all those air fryers for over $100 I knew I couldn’t afford one. Plus I don’t have the counter space for one. I ended up getting a Royal Crisper which I haven’t tried yet. It supposedly works with convection and calls itself an air fryer. I got it on Amazon. It was less than $20 and has good reviews. I hope to try it soon.

(Trish) #7

I just bought one and I love it. Best chicken wings, kids love it for fries or onion rings. Going to try jicama fries and salmon and all kinds of stuff in it. Quick, convenient, and wipes clean with a paper towel or damp cloth.

We recently bought a toaster oven that has an air fryer setting and I love it… I made chicken wings three times in the first week (my little boy loves chicken wings). I have also made bacon in it which turned out awesome, it was nice because I didn’t have a mess to clean up after and I didn’t have to stand over the stove + plus, the bacon drippings when into the convenient tray below which was easy to pour into my dripping container (I save all the bacon grease for cooking with).

(Rachael D.) #9

My sister and mum have them. The baskets don’t fit a lot of food so you end up doing things in batches and theirs have the ‘family’ size baskets. I’ve used them for wings and frankly i think my oven did a better job and the whole tray was done at the same time. Not worth the money IMO although my family love theirs. They purchased the Philips Airfryer which I believe is one of the better units.

(dale stolman) #10

We use ours for broccoli almost every day. Slice florets into smaller pieces, drizzle with avocado oil, add salt, and fry 390 degrees for 9 minutes. It comes out crispy and full of flavor.

(Trish) #11

Gonna try that post fast. Sounds yummy.

(Brian) #12

Hmmm… I’ve seen a few demos of air fryers. Wes, at High Falutin’ Low Carb talks about using them for keto fries (jicama, rutabaga, turnip). And I’ve seen them when browsing at Walmart.

I hadn’t thought much about it until reading this thread but I kinda like the air fryer toaster oven combo even better. They seem to be bigger than just an air fryer and can do everything the air fryer does and more. I can see how I might use such a thing, especially just baking smaller things, maybe not having to heat up the big oven.

Gotta think on this one…

:slight_smile:

(jjc155) #13

I know this is kind of an old thread but my mom got my wife and I an airfryer recently so I gave it a try. couple of things i found. 1) its made more for cooking low fat/fat free which obviously doesn’t work for us. 2) the size of the amount of stuff you can cook at a time is pretty small. I made some keto chicken fingers in mine and to make enough to eat and also get a couple meals out of and have them turn our edible took 3-4 batches.

I have done some roasted veggie in mine that turn out ok but again its small batches to get it to turn out good.

I’m more interested in getting a One Pot set up, think it may work better for what I need.

Hope this helps
J-