After thought... Body temp

(Joe) #1

So following a winter of flu, strep, and other illness afflicting my family. I found myself checking my temperature at least one a month. I was always perplexed… I routinely seemed to be lower than"average" with a temp around 97.5. I thought the thermometer might be off but my wife always was around the"normal" 98.6. I am reading the obesity code and processing some concepts about caloric restriction where he provides lowered body temp as va sign of decreased metabolism. I was vegan until early February this year. Probably eating 1700 calories a day high carb looooooow fat.

I got to thinking and I measured my body temperature today for the first time since keto. 98.5! Is keto fixing my metabolism? I’m going to start tracking this through fasting and routinely has anyone found things similar? One thing keto has given me is body awareness.

(Karen) #2

Just curious. Vegan to keto is a big leap. What caused your switch? We have lots of people here that have made the switch to animal products,and a few doing keto with vegan protein and fats.

K

(Rob) #3

Average temperature is a bit of a crock. Lots of people routinely run up to 2 degrees hot or cold vs. the 98.6 and it means nothing for their health. Keto may be raising your body temp by some kind of thermogenic reaction to keto above your ‘normal’ value. Who knows.
Making you run hotter (burning more calories) or fixing your temperature, either way it seems like a win!

(Joe) #4

I went from 225 to 170 on vegan caloric restricteddiet starting Dec 2015 (170 by spring of 2016). Same diet continued and I gained back up to 190 by January of this year with fasting blood sugar of 110. Became concerned found keto her I am. Back down to 170 eating more than I have in 2 years minus the fasting days.

(Joe) #5

Yeh I’m interested to see how this tracks. I am in the medical field so I have taken my temp at work as well and was never above 98.0. Tonight was the first time I can remember being over that mark in long time. (without having a bug)

(Joe) #6

Also I tried began vegan keto first. Just couldn’t find the foods. Lasted two weeks on olive oil, kale avacado and pecans. Veganism was a health choice for me. Returning to animal products was a result of the evidence of highest potential health taking me there.

(Jay AM) #7

We have similarish stories about being vegan. Basically not getting any healthier.

As far as temperatures go, temperature fluctuates frequently throughout the day and can be based on so many things. Yes, your diet can effect it. But, so can exercise, stress, libido, thyroid function, metabolism, circadian rhythm, and more.

You can use temperature to your advantage in data tracking but, you’d be pioneering with it. If you took your baseline daily temperature multiple times throughout the day for a week, you’d start seeing some averages. You could then start tracking individual events. How does my temperature change before sleep? How about on waking? An hour after drinking BPC? When I’m tired? When I’m stressed?

There have been women who have successfully used temperature to predict their periods for example of using the data.

(Kate) #8

For me temperature is definitely an indicator of my thyroid function (it regulates metabolism). I have hypothyroidism as well as Hashimoto’s so my temp is always lower than normal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

I don’t know. Now that I’ve been keto for a year or so, my temperature is rock-steady at 98.6, except when I’m sick. It’s weird, because it used to vary quite considerably.