Adding animal fat to protein

(FRANK) #1

Ok, so I’m looking to add animal fat to red meat protein to achieve an approximately a 2:1 ratio fat/protein. I know I could eat pork belly or side pork, but what about suet or tallow? Those that are consuming those , how are you incorporating additional fat to meats. Also, what about lard?

Looking for creative ideas or even not so creative. Thanks in advance.

(bulkbiker) #2

2:1 ratio by caloric reckoning or by weight?

(FRANK) #3

By weight, grams specifically.

(charlie3) #4

One way to add fat in theory is ask a butcher to prepare some ground chuck and add trimings to the grind.

(bulkbiker) #5

So you are going for the Paleomedicina way of eating… ?

I think they use suet and tallow to add fats without protein.

Hi Frank

not sure if this is exactly what you want but our resident expert on this is Renee. She is doing the 2:1 ration etc.

I asked her one day what is this PKD and she responded with this:

It’s called: Paleolithic ketogenic diet (PKD) and there is a clinic in Hungary using it to cure (yep, CURE) folks with auto-immune issues. It’s a very strict, high-fat carnivore diet with lots of organ meats.

Here is a link to their website: https://www.paleomedicina.com/paleolithic-ketogenic-diet/

Here is a really good YouTube with Dr Zsofia Clemens where she goes into a lot of detail about the diet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYCwE_FsHk

I hope some of this info helps you in what you are asking and I know Renee will hopefully jump in and tell you a ton more on it :slight_smile:

(FRANK) #7

Yes, this is what I would like to try. It’s hard to argue against the results Dr Clemens and her colleagues are achieving. My big hurdle is how to hit that 2:1 ratio. 73/27 ground beef comes close but I would like to incorporate different cuts of meat as well as varieties. Also, how does a person up the fat on say beef liver? I don’t have a local butcher or meat market to work with.

I think Mark got this but I am not sure. Cause Renee is eating this way per the PKD plan and I am sure it recommends certain adds…so…but I think Mark hit the nail.

Not butter. That is a diary thing.

Like real suet and tallow is what came from the meat itself. Crackings, like pork skin fried up real juicy and nice. But then again, some do not so well on pork??? I would head there into beef suet and tallow and eat very very fatty meats like ribeye cuts…but again, waiting on Renee to tell ya what she does cause she knows LOL

(FRANK) #9

This is spot on. I have been looking at tallow and suet, but what I am really after is how to incorporate it with cuts of meat. Tallow will melt with temperature, so does one use it as a “dipping” sauce?

I’m also looking at making my own pork sausages. I have the equipment and here in central Wisconsin, cuts like pork shoulder run cheap. I can also add additional pork fat or even beef suet. Dr Clemens says in here region they say a lot of pork and buying additional fat is commonplace.

hey if you got a grinder and the good equip to make excellent pork sausage then heck ya you can run with that :slight_smile: a bit jealous now on that LOL

beef suet in that pork sausage would probably be an over the top delish combo!!

thing is…pork is weird…some do so well on it like me…some say it does bad things to them? something I never have to deal with. So pork is that one kinda meat that is so personal to each of us.

if you do well have at it.

dipping. yes. I fry my ribeye in a bit of grass fed butter, then when I take it out and cut it up I pour every single bit of fat/butter juice over that meat and I sop it all up with the meat as I eat. My plate is super clean and all fat/butter eaten from that meal. So I know I am getting great fat in my day…mostly from the meat…little from the butter but if you change it up to extra beef fat and it suits you, yea sop it up in your meat eating. Can’t go wrong on that :slight_smile:

but remember, some can get too much fat sometimes. bathroom will tell you on that one. you might do great or have to cut back a bit…again personal thing here on how your eating effects you personally.

(Ken) #11

I think you mean a 2:1 ratio of meat to fat by weight. That gives you the Paleo ratio of approx. 65%-35% fat to protein in calories.

(bulkbiker) #12

That’s not the PKD ratio though.

(Elizabeth ) #13

No it’s actually two to one by grams of fat grams being 9 calories and protein grams being 4 calories. You can read the actual protocol on their website if you go to it, they also recommend between 400 and 600 grams of total food for the day, that’s a little over a pound at the top end. So you would probably have no more than 40 to 60 total grams of protein for the day with the rest being fat. It’s about an 85 to 90% fat. Again this is a therapeutic protocol not a lifetime way of eating like carnivores :slight_smile:

(Windmill Tilter) #14

This is really easy to do. Go to your nearest walmart and buy some 73%/27% ground beef. It’s about $2.00/lb when you buy the 10lb package. Here is the nutrition info, it’s pretty damn close to 2:1.

If you have the budget for grass fed beef, check out this hamburger from a very reputable source. It’s a damn good deal!:

https://grasslandbeef.com/75-lean-ground-beef-25-lb-bulk

Here is the nutrition info. A cheap way to jack up your fat to 2:1 will be add in some heavy cream or butter.

(Elizabeth ) #15

With 18 g of protein you’d want 36 of fat and you would need to eat all the drippings from the pan.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Many eat the suet just warmed or even cold. You don’t want to render it. The problem with pork fat is the bad Omaga3 to Omega6 ratio. You’re going to have better lipid profiles with grass fed tallow than lard. @Ilana_Rose does the Paleomedicina protocol mostly on a permanent basis with occasional departures, she seems to always go back to it. She’s very lean and in maintenance. She stays with it because of autoimmune issues. I believe she eats 20%protein/80%fat macros most days. She lightly roasts beef trimmings and marrow bones for extra fat. She’s got a great relationship with a local butcher who gets a kick from a 104 lb. woman buying tons of beef fat which he almost gives her for free. She hasn’t checked in for a few days, hopefully we see her again soon. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ken) #17

Meh, the original Paleo macro is 65/35/5% with two thirds meat to one third fat by weight. The Whole Animal Macro. It works, since I’ve.lost all my excess fat using it.

Every new Guru has got to be different to sell their books and stuff.

(bulkbiker) #18

You obviously haven’t read the works of Paleomedicina… maybe take a look you might be astounded.

You may of course not be but you know curiosity is mainly a good thing…

(Ken) #19

Nope, haven’t found the need to. I was immersed in the Paleo concept for over 15 years. The original take worked well for me.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@240lbfatloss Did you have epilepsy and brain tumors too! That’s awesome Ken I’m so happy you were helped. :cowboy_hat_face: