Adding animal fat to protein

(bulkbiker) #21

Great that you know everything already then… well done you.

(Ken) #22

Interesting. You post like the epilepsy and brain tumor issues regarding Paleo are something new. I assure you they are not, and have always been issues that were part of the alleviation of conditions provided by Paleo. It’s not like it is a new discovery, although it may be presented as such. And yes I started Paleo nearly 20 years.ago. No need to get snarky just because someone points out reality. If anything, Paleo has been corrupted by various Gurus over the years, some by asserting various nonpaleo foods are Paleo, others by ignoring the 5% carbohydrate macro. Now, someone is recommending high fat, which is of course the true and original concept.

(FRANK) #23

Last thing I want is this thread to turn into some kind of pi$$ing match. All I am looking for is some direction on how best to achieve a 2:1 fat to protein ratio. I am trying to correct or cure some autoimmune issues and lose some weight along the way. Dr Clemens has been very successful with that ratio on the PKD diet. Hopefully there are some folks out there following the PKD protocol and can weigh in with some tips/suggestions.

(bulkbiker) #24

Have you contacted Paleomedicina themselves yet?

(Ken) #25

The simplest answer is to consume meat and fat in a 1:1 ratio, by weight. Red meat or other flesh, poultry, fish etc. But most or all will require fat suplementation, due either to lower fat meat cutting practices or the meats not having enough of it the first place.

The easiest way I’ve found is to purchase additional beef fat trim from a butcher or meat department.

(Katie) #26

I recommend trying the fat loading protocol that Siobhan talks about in @Daisy 's awesome podcast.
A lot of people find that rendered fats (bacon grease, tallow, lard, butter) cause them to have stomach distress, so watch for that. I eat a lot of egg yolks, which has some protein in it but is primarily fat.

https://ketowomanpodcast.com/107/

@FGH Frank, @Ilana_Rose posted here about an excellent way to increase our fat to meet the 2:1 grams ratio.

She gets beef fat trimmings (local butcher/store should be able to help with that) and puts pieces of that trimming into the oven at a super low temp like around 150 degrees for a couple of hours. I was so glad to give that a try although my oven only goes as low as 170 degrees. Put some fat trimmings in the oven if you’re gonna have lean beef and then eat both together. Those pieces of fat will get nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I’ve got a flank steak on the menu for today so I’ll be putting some beef trim into the oven soon.

Also, US Wellness Meats (and others) sell some top quality suet. I buy that and stick it in the freezer. When I’m needing to add extra fat to meet the 2:1 I’ll get that out of the freezer and eat that with my meal. Dr. Saladino eats it that was as well. Those are my top go to fats to meet the ratio. Of course, depending on what I am eating I’ll add other fats. When I have ham and scrambled eggs it’s gotta have lotsa bacon grease! YUM Also, making a roast? Add a bit of beef tallow on top. I like butter but my understanding is that the PKD says to avoid that in the early stages when trying to get well.

@240lbfatloss My understanding is that the folks at the clinic in Hungary (Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet–PKD) first began using the original Paleo diet in their clinic but they weren’t quite getting the results they were hoping for. By tweaking the diet a bit they’ve been seeing great success over there. Check out Paleo Medicina. Hey, anything that helps us all get well is a plus, right? :smile: