Add fat to yogurt

(Jacob Wagner) #1

Even full fat yogurt is pretty low fat. Is there something I can add that will maintain the yogurt-nes of it but increase the fat?

–Jacob

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

I’m in Vancouver, Canada and the ingredients are available here. You can substitute local brands, just make sure you calculate carbs carefully. Note: the whipping cream actually contains about 3/4 of a gram of carbs, which I did not include in the macro calculations. The Nutiva MCT powder and the ON casein also have some carbs which is where most comes from. Still at about 3 grams of carbs per 100 grams this is very low carb to get 20% yogourt.

(Jacob Wagner) #3

Thank you.

Is there a purpose to the Casin other than adding protean?

–Jacob

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

The vanilla flavour. And yes, I use casein for protein to get the final yogourt to my current macros. When I first developed this recipe a year ago, my macros were as listed in the linked topic. My current macros are slightly different, so my current recipe is also different, although very similar.

I’ve experimented using shredded cacao butter instead of MCT powder. That adds a nice subtle chocolate flavour and eliminates most of the carbs.

(Jacob Wagner) #5

That is probably less expensive also.

I have some of each on hand, so I may try both ways.

–Jacob

(Allie) #6

Easy to make your own and add extra heavy cream.

As above, I just add extra thick double cream

('Jackie P') #8

I add double cream and sometimes, for pure decadence, I add a spoonful of peanut butter and mix in!:yum:

Really no reason to intentionally add fat just for the sake of doing it, keto or not. Only reason I can see would be if your diet was low in fat that day for one reason or the other.

Aside from using it to simply hit a protein macro you’ve set, casein it really good to add to things when you want them super thick and creamy. It’s a slow protein which some people are after and sometimes people are afraid of or just have issues with whey. More people seem to have issues digesting casein than whey, but that can also change depending on where in the world you are as the casein proteins are different in North America vs European countries. That said, most do fine with both.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Heavy or double cream. (The name will vary with your location.) I start with plain, whole-milk Greek yoghurt, which has a bit higher fat content than regular yoghurt. Avoid any kind of flavouring, because it comes with sugar.

In the U.S., there is a brand called Stonyfield Farms that makes double-cream yoghurt, but most U.S. supermarkets refuse to carry it, because Oh, my God, the fat is going to kill you!!!

(sugarfree) greek yoghurt is fattier