Activism in reverse?

(Mark Rhodes) #130

OMG YES! Some of these issues that crop up were actually masked by our diets. The symptoms often are our bodies rectifying the situation and getting better! It is just we had so many other issues this “new” one went unnoticed!

The absolute greatest thing I have learned with 2KD is KCKO!! Keep calm, keto on AND we will figure this out as we learn more!

(Doug) #131

Paul, this is such an interesting thread. We all have different ranges of behavior, tone, verbiage, etc. that will exasperate us, make us think a given person is trolling, etc.

While I feel this forum has a very low rate of trolling, sometimes I do think, “Well, that was a dumb question…” One gets rather steeped in the lore of keto after a while, and perhaps we start taking it for granted after a while?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #132

Good point! I do try to remember it, but . . . oh, well!

(Though I hate to admit it, I’m only human after all. Don’t tell anyone!) :grinning:

Another good point that I’ll try to keep in mind. Thanks, Mark.

(Mark Rhodes) #133

Did I say I learned that? OOPS. I meant the greatest thing I AM STILL learning. :laughing:

(Mark Rhodes) #134

Oh my. I am naturally very sardonic and droll, using sarcasm as a lever in my day to day interactions. I have learned my normal communication does not translate well on the internet until people REALLY get to know me. I think it’s because so much of my language is facial and body posture. I try really hard to be clear and concise on the forum and FB.
And you are correct Doug. I might interpret something as conflict when it really is confusion and frustration. I do get soooo frustrated by questions easily answered with the SEARCH function or at least linking to a conversation that didn’t quite address the particular question. To me that suggests the person DID do some basic effort and research.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #135

Well, isn’t that nice? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Sorry, I can never resist.)

(Ron) #136

This was my thinking when starting this thread in the form of a question of opinion and not direction.
I also have focused on tone and calmer demeanor the last couple months as I felt myself getting a little more critical than intended.

(Doug) #137

Ron, yeah - sometimes it’s even just a matter of what mood we’re in. :slightly_smiling_face:

For me, it blends in with the “echo chamber or not” thread where I see a mixture of things, not one yes or no answer. We’ve got a big range of approaches, individual needs and results, and moods, at times. Yet there is also groupthink going on, to an extent. We do like the science behind things, but perhaps we sometimes lean toward thinking things are more settled than they are.

(Sandra Lachance) #138

Sadly, I think you’re right about people who will try everything to make us change our way for their. They really think they have the truth, so we are automatically wrong. We cannot both be right, right? I have a little issue with keto at the beggining, I’m currently loosing a bunch of hairs (but a lot of weight too) and I’m fine with it, because the new hairs that grow are much thicker and shiny. I feel so great, never ravenously hungry again, able to go to restaurant and not having the impression of being punished with an overpriced boring salad, no dressing! I think we are able to tell the difference between real begginers who needs help and trolls. Is’t a shame through, and I think we are better human than them to not enter in their game.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #139

I was going to create a post on this and forgot.

I have always had very thick hair that’s grown quite fast. But two years ago when I had lost a lot of weight doing a CICO LF diet, my hair stopped growing. I had gotten a pixie cut and 6 months latter, I barely needed a trim. This was really unusual for me.

Fast forward to being almost 15 weeks Keto and I’m getting a bunch of comments that my hair has gotten really long. And it’s crazy how thick it now is. I have to separate it in layers with a clip so I can brush it all out.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #140

My toe nails are now very thick and as strong as steel. That after 3 years of keto.

(Kirk) #141

I can’t jump as high as I used to, but I can stay up longer.

(Sandra ) #142

Keto is not magic, regardless of what we may think.:slight_smile: It cannot necessarily undo decades of abusive lifestyles, nor counter those who are determined to find fault. I accept (reluctantly) that there are people who fare badly on keto, whether ibecause of genetics or epigenetics, or even just poor food choices. These people likely do better when they switch to an organic diet lush with all sorts of veggies and fruit, with minimal protein and fat. I appreciate reading their experiences, but take them with a large amount of salt. No need to look for ulterior motives, even if they might exist. Water off a duck’s back! :slight_smile:

(Cindy) #143

Welcome, Deary!!! It sounds like you’re going strong already!

(Sandra ) #144

Thanks, Cindy. I’ll never be a poster girl for keto, since I came in too late to undo a lifetime of being obese, suffering a stroke and several heart attacks. I also drift between keto, paleo and low carb, depending on my mood and my hubby’s cooking. Nevertheless, I am continuing to lose weight very gradually w/o any exercise at all (did I mention I fast intermittently 6-7 days per week?) and have finally conquered my sweet teeth? :smiley:

(Cindy) #145

It sounds like you’re doing GREAT, Paysan! I’m not a poster child for anything either. It’s just about getting as healthy as we can wherever we are starting from, right? I have the world’s worst sugar addiction, and the keto diet is the first thing that has conquered it for me. I never thought the day would come when I could walk right past something sweet, but with this diet, I’m doing it every day. That part does feel like magic to me!

(Cindy) #146

I do get all sides of this whole thing completely. I’ve had my own worries. I have some bad genes (APOe4, double MTHFR) and a few years ago my doctor told me I had terminal kidney disease and all I would be able to do is try to slow it down. My father died of sudden catastrophic kidney failure while he was going downhill with Alzheimers. The keto diet research shows it’s the best possible thing for my bad genes, but there’s a lot of scare-mongering all over the internet about the keto diet and kidney issues… So I decided I would rather die of kidney failure than Alzheimers, and I’ve gone all-in with keto while monitoring the kidney situation. So far so good! I’m hoping to be a tiny piece of anecdotal evidence that the keto diet can be good for kidneys. :slight_smile: I get blood work done next week, so time will tell.

(Crow T. Robot) #147

Well, afaik the only way that keto can be “bad” for the kidneys is if you have kidney disease and overdo protein. However, since large amounts of protein are not necessary for keto, you should be fine.

It will be interesting to see your bloodwork. Keep us posted on your progress.

(Katie) #148

There does seem to have been increased posts like this lately of newbies troubleshooting. I perceived their excuses as fear/skepticism of going against current dogma and physician/government teaching, which is understandable.

@mtncntrykid your theory is interesting. We should start a new topic category: Keto Conspiracies :smile::male_detective:t2:

(Cindy) #149

That’s very reassuring, Chris. I’m super careful with protein, so I should be fine. But I’m prepared to cut it down even more if I need to. I’ll let you know how my blood work comes out.