Accidentally fell off the keto wagon

(Farhan Ali) #1

Hi guys,

This is not a question. It is just an experience that I want to share.

So I am working and living away from home and family and have complete control over my diet. There is no food in my refrigerator which is non Keto. I usually visit my family every 8 to 12 weeks. This last weekend I visited home; the first time I did since I started Keto 6 weeks ago.

I tried to stay on Keto, I told my wife all the things allowed and not allowed. She has been very supportive and tried her best. Then we went to my in-laws place; my mother in law was told beforehand by my wife all that I won’t be eating. There was some baked meatballs which I chomped down with lots of fatty sauce, thinking it was keto friendly.

15 minutes after the meal I started to feel a little drowsy. This had not happened to me in the last 6 weeks. So immediately I realized I had eaten something that was full of carbs. I asked my wife’s mom if there was any sort of flour in the meatballs and she told me, “Of course. It had gram flour in it”.

Knowing that I had caused a spike in my insulin levels sent my Keto into a tailspin and I started to eat everything and I mean EVERYTHING. The next 4 meals I had was full of crappy carbs (but man were they tasty!) and included ice-cream, lasagna, garlic bread, pizza etc. I REALLY WENT ALL OUT ON CARBS.

Now, I am back at my place where I have created a Keto friendly environment and am trying to jump back up on the Keto horse. I feel hungry, sleepy and tired all the time. It feels horrible.

Some good also came during this trip. I finally mustered the courage to quit smoking once and for all and I have not smoked a single fag since last Thursday.

Anyways, just wanted to share this. I am trying to KCKO.

It does happen and it’s almost a part of the challenge. Personally, I’m not going to stop going to peoples’ houses and/or restaurants. I do the best I can - you didn’t know what was in the meatballs so it happened and you get to move on just like you said. And CONGRATS on the not smoking. I quit years ago and it was no joke, as I’m sure you’re aware. But your body is healing from the keto and now from the not smoking - sounds like you’re on your way to some optimal results!

Good job on jumping back on the wagon and for also quitting smoking! If you need any support for your quit journey, I highly recommend quittrain.com. Check the site out! Lots of great support and encouragement.

(Karen) #4

Congratulations on striving to quit smoking!! You’ll recover from the carbs :blush:

K

(Farhan Ali) #5

3 days later, i did an unplanned IF. it went ok.

Hope tomorrow the flu will be gone.

(Vincent Hall) #6

Just getting back on keto myself, Hopefully.
Been off intentionally for about 10 days. I was feeling okay on around 100-150 carbs a day but the last few days I’ve been away with a group of carbivours, so fruit scones & shortbread (always was a weakness of mine) plus proper granary bread have been consumed.
I’ve stopped tracking as I’m way over on carbs.
Feeling bloated and crappy now. But tomorrow Im back to <20 carbs daily. Wish us luck…
\v/