About to Give Up!

(Karen) #1

I am 62 years old. I am 5’ 8" and now weigh 277. I started keto 6 weeks ago. I started at 287. I lost 10 pounds in the first 3 1/2 weeks and now nothing.
Original macros set at 1667 calories, 134 fat, 20 carbs, 95 protein which is a 20% deficit as I am sedentary due to arthritis…some walking, shopping and house cleaning. Otherwise good health.
I changed my deficit to 25% a week ago to try and get things going. Macros are now 1560 calories, 121 fat, 20 carbs, 98 protein.
I record everything and my actual readings with 25% deficit have been on an average of 1471 calories, 115 fat, 18.5 carbs, 91 protein (all a little under).
I read labels, I have not cheated, I follow keto recipes, I track everything. I eat my greens, I mostly drink water with an occasional diet root beer. I take my vitamins and have no other serious illnesses/Rx’s. I have no swelling. Urine strips are at trace to small. I have taken nutrition classes so I’m pretty savvy on all that stuff. I have been stuck at 277 (+/- .5) for 2 1/2 weeks. No measurement or clothes fit changes. Just stuck already. With 100 pounds to lose, this is ridiculous. Any suggestions? Thanks!

(Karen) #2

Also…eat 2 meals a day, rarely snack, IF is usually around 13 - 17 hours per day. Sleep 8 hours.

(Karen) #4

Thanks for your reply. One thing that I really like about this eating lifestyle is I’m not hungry and the fat makes things tastey. I think I’ll stop worrying about the calories and just concentrate on keeping the carbs down. And you know what else? I can’t believe how little protein it takes to fill me up. Hard to believe I used to eat a 1-pound steak and now it’s only 3 to 4 oz at a time. And I have learned to love kale. :slight_smile:

(KetoQ) #6

Hi Karen –

Losing 10 pounds over six weeks is a good start. To put that in perspective, that is 80 pounds over the course of a year …

My advice is to keep the faith and keep doing the good things you are doing. Keto can be a bit more of a challenge for a woman, because female hormones are a tad more complex than for us guys. Your body may be simply adjusting to the changes.

You also describe yourself as sedentary, so that does make it a bit more of a challenge as well.

I’ve lost 50 pounds over the past 15 weeks, workout nearly everyday, and I go through stalls all the time. I sense it has something to do with the way our bodies burn fat. As I understand, as your body accesses fat, the fat is replaced with water, until the fat cell releases the extra water. That might explain why you’re doing everything right without the losses to show for it.

Weight loss has not been linear for me. For example, in the past 30 days I have lost eight pounds. 22 of those 30 days when I have done my morning weigh in, I have gained weight. The fluctuations have lots to do with water weight. And although it is frustrating to see a net gain, the overall trend is positive, in that my weight is going down.

So I hope you don’t get frustrated and quit. Just keep doing what you’re doing.

Good luck!

So, this is a “thing.” Just knowing it’s a “thing” should help you accept it and work through it. Atkins called it “Post Induction Stall Syndrome.”

Help! I've hit a plateau!

As others have stated, you should keep with it. You mentioned you really like this WOE, and by your own statement above, things are indeed changing. :slight_smile: … I only weigh in every Sunday just for record keeping, and a few weeks ago, I showed no loss one week, and then a 2+ gain for another. (And I had fasted for 72 hrs. for that week.) But I didn’t let it bother me, since I figured it could just be water weight? And then the following week when I weighed in, it showed an 8 lb. loss. So as @Q66 stated, you will see your numbers go up and down at times.

The bottom line is how your feeling overall. - And yes, I too believe when you are always worrying about the numbers, whether on the scale or in your macros, this can’t help matters. - Just my opinion… But maybe give a few weeks, eat some great food and then see where you’re at then. I bet it will be good thing. :slight_smile:

(Cynthia Anderson) #9

I just used a tdee calculator for your age height and weight. Your tdee is 2238.

That’s the calories you burn just doing nothing all day.

(Karen) #10

Thanks for your comments. I really like this eating lifestyle, so I’ll keep with it for at least 1 more month.:slight_smile:

(Karen) #11

I have the hardest time not weighing every day. To see any loss motivates me, but lately not so much. I really need to only weigh weekly, but is going to be hard.

(Karen) #12

It just seems with weighing this much, the initial loss should have been more and now a stall. The first two weeks I was so tired and had a hard time sleeping. Now I take magnesium and have added Melontonin before bedtime. No longer that tired and sleep is better. I guess that was my flu. I just wish I had all that energy I hear about. I just got to hang in there.

You can do it, and I bet it would help in regard to worrying about it. I know that’s easy to say, but I think you can do it. Plus, you will see even bigger results, which is always a plus! :slight_smile:

(Karen) #14

Not my old body. It sucks up everything and hates to let it go. :slight_smile:

(Laurie) #15

I started with 50-60 pounds to lose and have experienced something similar. Lost 7 pounds in the first 5 weeks, then no loss for 2 weeks. I console myself with the other benefits of being on keto, plus the knowledge that going back to my regular way of eating will mean guaranteed weight gain. At least I’m not gaining! Now the scale seems to have budged (by just .5 lb).

No suggestions except to hang in there. Oh, one other thought–do you need more fiber? I take inulin and sometimes use flax in cooking. Some take psyllium/psyllium husks, but I find it too weird.

I can see that you’re being really diligent. I truly hope this works for you.

(Karen) #16

Thanks for responding…if you can wait it out, so can I :slight_smile:

(Karen) #17

So, today I went to my chiropractor and I haven’t seen him since April. Although I didn’t start eating LCHF since July he said, “Looks like you have lost weight.”…AWESOME! OK…now that’s motivation!!

Just wait til the next time he see’s ya! :wink:

(Kerin ) #19

Don’t give into the old way of eating.
A lot of folks here agree that the weight loss is not the only thing awesome about keto.
Relieve yourself from the burden of counting calories and macros while enjoying the new foods as usual and see if the less stressful manner makes any difference.
:heart::blue_heart::green_heart:

(Karen) #20

Thanks for responding…I’m going to hang in there.

(Nicki Nichols) #21

I’m a 72 yr old female and I have been on Keto for 330 days. Morbidly obese. I’m not losing rapidly either, but am beginning to feel better. I refuse to weigh. I have no idea how much I have lost. I’ve gone from a size 20 to a size 14. A tight 14. I still don’t have the energy to exercise, but I can now run the sweeper and dust. This is a great accomplishment for me. What keeps me on this diet is that I don’t have cravings. It’s wonderful to be in control. Health is the goal so don’t lose heart.

(Destiny R Braden) #22

Thank you for sharing! You give me inspiration. I wish you well!